Author Topic: Twitter suspends professor over posts mocking China’s Xi Jinping  (Read 258 times)

Offline mountaineer

Twitter suspends professor over posts mocking China’s Xi Jinping
By Mark Moore
July 7, 2021 | 1:34pm
Twitter temporarily suspended a New Zealand professor after she mocked the 100th anniversary of the Chinese Communist Party and President Xi Jingping.

Anne-Marie Brady, a professor at the University of Canterbury, wrote two tweets making fun of China and Xi celebrating the centennial of the Communist Party.

She posted a Sydney Morning Herald story headlined “Xi’s hollow 100th birthday celebration for the Chinese Communist Party” by adding “alternative headline: Xi: its my Party and I’ll cry if I want to,” referring to the Lesley Gore hit song from 1963. ...

Twitter’s action caught the attention of Edward Lucas, a columnist for London’s Sunday Times newspaper, who defended Brady, an expert on China’s attempts to exercise its influence around the world.

“Twitter has not explained what prompted this,” Lucas noted in the column. “Brady received only an automated warning that she may have ‘violated’ the social media platform’s rules. But the decision probably results from a concerted campaign by the Chinese Communist Party’s online agents.” ...
New York Post

I guess we can tell who's really in charge at Twitter.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Re: Twitter suspends professor over posts mocking China’s Xi Jinping
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 07:21:19 pm »
Twitter is owned by the Chinese.  Just another reason to remove its Section 230 immunity and cut it down to size.