Author Topic: ‘Homeless Mike’ Aurora Mayor Mike Coffman Goes Undercover To Live On The Streets, Sleep On Sidewalks  (Read 331 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

‘Homeless Mike’ Aurora Mayor Mike Coffman Goes Undercover To Live On The Streets, Sleep On Sidewalks With The Homeless

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/01/05/homeless-mike-coffman-aurora-mayor-undercover-streets/

AURORA, Colo. (CBS4)– Aurora Mayor Mike Coffman added a new title to his resume last week — Homeless Mike. The Marine Corps veteran ... went undercover for a week to live among the homeless in Aurora and Denver.

His goal, he says, was to find out why the problem of homelessness was growing and what he, as a mayor, could do to address it. He wanted answers, not from advocates who may have agendas, but from the homeless themselves. ...
“I think this is a really hard problem,” he told (CBS reporter) Boyd before he left. “And I don’t think a lot of policymakers like myself understand it. … I think there’s so many questions — Where’s their income? How do they exist? And what is the profile of people in homeless encampments?”

The answers would surprise him.

The encampments, he says, are made-up of hardcore drug users who’ve formed communities with even unofficial leaders.

“These encampments are not product of the economy or COVID. They’re not a product of rental rates or housing. They are part of a drug culture.”
“This is not about a lack of shelter?” Boyd asked him.

“It really isn’t,” he responded. “It is a lifestyle choice and it is a very dangerous lifestyle choice.”

While the shelters he stayed at don’t allow drug use, Coffman says, most of them don’t search residents either. He sent CBS4 a picture of hypodermic needles on the floor of a bunk beneath him. Those in the shelter, he says, tend to be older, receive disability checks, and have no plan to become self-sufficient.

“The broadest category are drug and alcohol problems where people are settled into this sort of lifestyle and decades go by and they’re not moving on.”

In some ways, he says, dependency becomes easier for those who rely on the Aurora shelters than self-sufficiency.
Coffman says many of those he met are from out of state and some of them have mental health issues that make it impossible for them to hold a steady job. Most of them, he says, can work but don’t.

This article and the one that follows are nearly 6 months old, but I did not find that they had been posted before.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline PeteS in CA

Aurora Mayor Mike Coffman Calls For Major Changes In Homeless Policies After Spending A Week Living On The Street

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/01/07/mike-coffman-calls-major-changes-homeless-policies-after-spending-week-living-street-aurora-mayor/

What he saw in the encampments was far more troubling. He says young people are openly using meth, heroin and cocaine, and their addictions, he says, are being facilitated by those who think they’re helping.

“It’s kind of this dropout mentality drug culture that is sustained by a lot of well-meaning individuals who give money to them, who bring food to them, other necessities to them.”

Boyd asked him what he would say to those well-meaning people. He replied, “I would say you’re hurting these people. You’re really prolonging what is really a negative lifestyle that is going to eventually kill these people.”

“But, they won’t go to the shelters,” Boyd said. “That’s the thing,” he responded. “We can’t keep subsidizing a lifestyle that is so harmful to them and I think represents a public safety and health problem to the community at large … there are no redeeming qualities about the encampments, none whatsoever. ...
Coffman says the shelters he visited are also enabling a life of dependency. While he says some people there have mental health issues that make it impossible for them to hold a steady job, most, he says, can work.

“You ought to do something. You ought to sweep the floor or mop the floor or you ought to help in the kitchen, but there was no responsibility whatsoever.”

Those who stay in publicly funded shelters, he says, should be required to get drug treatment or job training.

“You have to commit to do something affirmative in exchange for taxpayer benefits.”

This guy needs to be cloned, multiple times, and installed as mayor in Seattle, Portland, SF, San Jose, and in several cities in the Land of LA!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Feel good story of a mayor that sees past the emotional leftist talking points.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
All those trillions of dollars spent, and so destitute Americans left in squalor.  Lets not forget, many of those people desperately need medical care, and the money keeps going to the wealthy and foreigners.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions