Author Topic: 980-foot skyscraper sways in China, prompting panic and evacuations  (Read 1041 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 980-foot skyscraper sways in China, prompting panic and evacuations

By Ben Cost

May 18, 2021 | 10:18am | Updated

It was on shaky ground.

A Chinese skyscraper had to be evacuated Tuesday afternoon after it began inexplicably swaying on its foundation, prompting scores of bystanders to flee in terror, as seen in a series of viral videos circulating social media.

The shaky incident occurred around 1 p.m. at Shenzhen’s SEG Electronics Building, which is one of China’s tallest structures in the city at a whopping 980 feet tall.

“The people in the building and downstairs fled for their lives!” read the caption to one of the Twitter clips, which depicts petrified shoppers stampeding across a plaza like scene out of a monster movie.

A follow-up clip posted by local media shows the top of the 73-story structure, on which two white conductor poles can be seen wobbling precariously.

https://twitter.com/ShenzhenPages/status/1394558949685284864

more
https://nypost.com/2021/05/18/980-foot-building-sways-in-china-sending-shoppers-running/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Lando Lincoln

Some sort of wind load harmonics maybe?  That would be unnerving, for sure.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online DefiantMassRINO

The new subway cars the Chi-Coms are building for the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority are crap, too.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline thackney

Different view of the building

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Hard to imagine if caused by wind, this was the first time for a 20 year old building.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Hard to imagine if caused by wind, this was the first time for a 20 year old building.

Substandard building materials (steel/concrete) that have degraded over the years. 

Just a thought.....
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
More quality Chinese building practices like this?

Don't they know better than to use their own steel in a hi-rise tower?

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Gojira!
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Three words: Made in China.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Something similar almost happened in the US back in the 70's:

Citicorp Center's use of bolted joints and the increased loads from quartering winds would not have caused concern if these issues had been isolated from each other. However, the combination of the two findings prompted LeMessurier to run tests on the structural safety.[103] The original welded-joint design could withstand the load from straight-on and quartering winds, but a 75-mile-per-hour (121 km/h) hurricane force quartering wind would exceed the strength of the bolted-joint chevrons.[99] With the tuned mass damper active, LeMessurier estimated that a wind capable of toppling the building would occur on average once every 55 years.[162][161] If the tuned mass damper could not function due to a power outage, a wind strong enough to cause the building's collapse would occur once every 16 years on average.[162] LeMessurier also discovered that his firm had used New York City's truss safety factor of 1:1 instead of the column safety factor of 1:2.[99]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citigroup_Center#Engineering_crisis_of_1978

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Before it collapses on its own Maybe a Muzlum could fly a plane into it and put it out of its misery.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

Three words: Made in China.

:beer:  ...and to think that they're bidding on a lot of jobs and projects in the U.S.A.  Their materials are certainly being used.  Around here we had terrible issues with homes/condos that were built with Chinese drywall - many lawsuits that took several years to settle.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sounds like China could have the architectural equivalent of the old Tacoma Narrows bridge (Galloping Gertie).

Sumthin' tells me that someday... that thing is gonna come down... with a bang.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't

Possible standard vortex shedding excitation combined with degraded foundation would be my guess, if the assertion of no seismic activity is valid.

Other excitation inputs could be vibration from a subway...I've no information about the surrounding town.

But they seriously need to check their foundations.   I can't imagine what else could cause this two decades after construction.   It's seen all the wind it's going to see, so it has to be something else.    And sure, maybe some of the steel is crap and is fracturing or rivets are failing in the walls.

Or, maybe GW Bush's team of Secret Squib Secreters is planning another 9-11?   (just kidding)
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Sounds like China could have the architectural equivalent of the old Tacoma Narrows bridge (Galloping Gertie).

Yes, but the delay is curious.   Not a typical vortex shedding/resonance design issue here.  Something else is going on, internally.

The NY Post story says the wind speed was 27 mph, which doesn't seem anywhere near enough to create a harmonic response in a vertical cantilever with such a high section moment of inertia.    The deck of the Galloping Gurdy bridge was had a significantly lower stiffness value and it still took gale force winds to excite it to destruction.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 06:28:02 am by Sled Dog »
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline thackney

But the Tacoma Narrows bridge hit resonance and collapsed 4 months after it opened and had been actively moving from the beginning.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Tacoma-Narrows-Bridge

While wind could be the applied force creating movement, something else changed recently.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
If it wobbles like this with No earthquake...
When an earthquake actually happens, this building is as good as rubble.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Lando Lincoln

Only one plausible explanation...

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Lando Lincoln

Chinese Communist "Engineering". China has a history of new multi-story apartment buildings falling over.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!