Author Topic: FCC fines two Texas telemarketers $225 million for making 1 billion robocalls  (Read 974 times)

Offline thackney

FCC fines two Texas telemarketers $225 million for making 1 billion robocallshttps://www.engadget.com/fcc-225-million-fine-194419208.html
March 17th, 2021

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has issued the largest fine in its history. Two Texas-based telemarketers are on the hook for $225 million after making approximately 1 billion robocalls to people across the US. They ran at least two businesses that illegally spoofed other companies to try and sell people on short-term insurance plans, claiming they were from well-known providers like Cigna.

One of the people involved in the scheme admitted to making "millions" of robocalls per day, even going so far as to go out of his way to call numbers on the Do Not Call list because he believed it would be more profitable to do so. According to the FCC, "a large portion" of the more than 23.6 million health insurance robocalls that crossed US wireless networks in 2018 came from Rising Eagle, one of the companies the two telemarketers ran.

A fine, even the biggest in the agency's history, is unlikely to rein in robocalls. In fact, there's evidence to suggest they haven't been effective at all. Two years ago, a report from The Wall Street Journal found that between 2015 and 2019, the FCC had ordered violators of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act to pay $208.4 million in penalties. By the end of that period, the agency had only collected $6,790. That number may have changed in the years since the WSJ's report came out. All the same, it's not encouraging....

- - - - - - - - -

I was thinking more along the line of a punishment that involved a fire ant bite for every call made.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I'm cool with staking them out on a fire ant hill, but this fine crap is useless they should get life in prison. I have never in all the years I have had my own phone, landline or cell, ever received as many robocalls as I have since January 1 of this year. It makes me want to just shut that damn phone off, and I would too if my elderly mother wasn't dependent on me.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
These jerks spoof locales regional, and my phone needs a bigger block caller reservoir (only holds like 25 numbers). I truly despise the son of guns that work for them too because they just laugh when I demand to be put on their dnc lists.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline GrouchoTex

Let me guess.
It was the "your car warrantee has expired" callers.

Offline Slide Rule

The fine is insufficient. Change the million to billion for a few rounds.

Bring them to court and advertise the date and time. Include their attorneys.
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
These jerks spoof locales regional, and my phone needs a bigger block caller reservoir (only holds like 25 numbers). I truly despise the son of guns that work for them too because they just laugh when I demand to be put on their dnc lists.

I bought one for my dad's house phone that blocks 1000 callers. It works great! However the new callers keep coming!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
No robocalls here. I don't have a phone.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mountaineer

Pretty sure we received about half of those 1 billion robocalls. We don't answer if we don't recognize the caller, but it's still annoying.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online goatprairie

My wife finally had to shut down the answering machine to a tiny beep. Before the November election it was endless.
But even now we're still plagued by these jerks wanting money for something or other.
I remember many decades ago giving some money to some charity org. All of a sudden I started getting as many as ten calls an evening asking for money. You got on a list, and they never stopped calling. I asked one of them if I just hadn't donated some money to them a few months ago. He replied that it was a new quarter.
I stopped contributing money and answering the phone. That's before I got an answering machine.
My wife is nastier than me and threatens the non robo callers with reporting and fining them for nuisance calls.

Offline GtHawk

No robocalls here. I don't have a phone.
Cool, but how often is your telegraph clicking away with unwanted messages :silly:

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Good, I've almost worn off the block button on my phone.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

Pretty sure we received about half of those 1 billion robocalls. We don't answer if we don't recognize the caller, but it's still annoying.
I do the same but what is really irritating is my insurance company and doctors office calling with no identification so I just ignore everything until I have time to look them up and even then sometimes it won't tell. And the do not call list is an obscene joke, political and charity calls are excluded and the spoofers use fake numbers so most all of them just keep robocalling with no real action against them. Heck just look at the story concerning past fines, 200 plus millions in fines and a few piddly thousand collected, why would they stop? Serious jail time needs to be the penalty.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
If they had sent letters through the mail claiming to be some other company, they'd be in prison for a billion counts of mail fraud.

Sounds like the laws need to be updated.

The owners of the companies should be facing prison time.   
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
My wife finally had to shut down the answering machine to a tiny beep. Before the November election it was endless.
But even now we're still plagued by these jerks wanting money for something or other.
I remember many decades ago giving some money to some charity org. All of a sudden I started getting as many as ten calls an evening asking for money. You got on a list, and they never stopped calling. I asked one of them if I just hadn't donated some money to them a few months ago. He replied that it was a new quarter.
I stopped contributing money and answering the phone. That's before I got an answering machine.
My wife is nastier than me and threatens the non robo callers with reporting and fining them for nuisance calls.

Try donating blood some time.   The Red Cross never stopped pestering me for more of my O- blood.  They only stopped when I changed my phone number.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline cato potatoe

I'd be fine with executions. 

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher

Considering how many of the elderly have been fleeced?  I agree wholeheartedly.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Slide Rule

Finally a workable solution.
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
If Dante knew about  telemarketers, they’d be in “The Inferno”. I’m sure of this.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 11:45:50 am by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

Try donating blood some time.   The Red Cross never stopped pestering me for more of my O- blood.  They only stopped when I changed my phone number.

@Sled Dog that happened to me as well. I also have negative blood, (A-), and I get weekly emails and texts.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mountaineer

I donated through Central Blood Bank a few times and finally had to scream at them to stop calling - after telling them at least a half dozen times that I'd reschedule to donate whenever I felt like it, don't call me.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn