Author Topic: ‘He stood by me through everything’ — We salute the Air Force NCO who brought an airman back from t  (Read 202 times)

rangerrebew

‘He stood by me through everything’ — We salute the Air Force NCO who brought an airman back from the brink

“I just wanted others to see what an outstanding NCO he was."

By David Roza March 17, 2021

News Air Force Culture

‘He stood by me through everything’ — We salute the Air Force NCO who brought an airman back from the brink

Editor’s note: This article discusses suicide and suicidal ideation that some may find disturbing.  If you’re thinking about suicide, are worried about a friend or loved one, or would like emotional support, the Lifeline network is available 24/7 across the United States. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (800-273-8255) to reach a trained counselor. Use that same number and press “1” to reach the Veterans Crisis Line.

Staff Sgt. Austin Spurling was at the right place at the right time one day in 2017, when he saw an airman crying his eyes out by a lake at Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota. The anonymous airman was 25 years old, going through a divorce with his wife, who had kicked him out of the house, and was soon separating from the Air Force.

“I was at my lowest and had nowhere to go and just lost,” the airman wrote on the popular Facebook page Air Force amn/nco/snco in February. “I was sitting by one of the lakes on base thinking of killing myself … This person saw me crying and came running over and talked to me.”

https://taskandpurpose.com/culture/austin-spurling-air-force-davis-monthan/