Author Topic: Why have so many Medals of Honor been awarded to the Irish? ‘We’ve been fighting for years and years  (Read 371 times)

rangerrebew

Why have so many Medals of Honor been awarded to the Irish? ‘We’ve been fighting for years and years’
Howard Altman

TAMPA — James Bradley McCloughan watched as then-President Donald Trump placed the Medal of Honor around his father’s neck, commemorating a series of selfless, heroic acts that saved the lives of fellow soldiers during the Vietnam War,

As the president read the citation during the July 2017 ceremony, the son — a Michigan state policeman — heard for the first time the story of his father’s bravery under fire.

“It’s something that you just don’t bring up for two reasons,” medal recipient James Charles McCloughan explained in an interview March 14, 2019. “No. 1, you don’t want to go there. You’ve been through it. Once is enough.

“No. 2, people might not believe you if you told them, anyway.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2021/03/17/why-have-so-many-medals-of-honor-been-awarded-to-the-irish-weve-been-fighting-for-years-and-years/

rangerrebew

Because they are born "white domestic terrorists"?  There is no place in today's military for people who are brave enough to earn the CMO, they might not be PC enough. :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
We know one thing about who asked that question.

He has never gone drinking with anyone Irish.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GrouchoTex

We know one thing about who asked that question.

He has never gone drinking with anyone Irish.

Amen.
3/4 of my heritage is Irish. 1 Dutch Grandfather thrown in just to mess up the works.
Someone once told me that they thought Notre Dame sports teams being called the "Fighting Irish" was offensive.
I told them that was because the "Drunken and Fighting Irish" was too long of a logo.

Offline mikezpen

I've read of those who resent the leprechaun symbol and the "Fighting Irish" moniker.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Maybe because Irish folks are fast to fight, fight to win, no matter what.  Many in this country do not comprehend the notion of fighting to win.

I think most Irish I know are patriotic, and believe strongly in our great nation.

57% of the total is impressive!