Author Topic: WaPo Issues Lengthy Correction After Completely Misquoting Trump In Story About Phone Call With Geor  (Read 1335 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
WaPo Issues Lengthy Correction After Completely Misquoting Trump In Story About Phone Call With Georgia Investigator

Shelby Talcott
Media Reporter
March 15, 2021 1:22 PM ET

The Washington Post issued a lengthy correction after published audio revealed it misquoted former President Donald Trump regarding his phone call with Frances Watson, the chief investigator of the Georgia secretary of state’s office.

The report, first published in January, accused Trump of telling Watson to “find the fraud” and lauding her as “a national hero” if she was able to find any. While the audio did show Trump claiming he won the 2020 election and suggesting Watson would be “praised” after the “right answer” was revealed, The Post’s original quotes turned out to be fake news.

“Correction: Two months after publication of this story, the Georgia secretary of state released an audio recording of President Donald Trump’s December phone call with the state’s top elections investigator,” The Post’s article now reads at the top of the story. “The recording revealed that The Post misquoted Trump’s comments on the call, based on information provided by a source. Trump did not tell the investigator to ‘find the fraud’ or say she would be ‘a national hero’ if she did so.”

“Instead, Trump urged the investigator to scrutinize ballots in Fulton County, Ga., asserting she would find ‘dishonesty’ there,” the correction continued. “He also told her that she had ‘the most important job in the country right now.'”

more
https://dailycaller.com/2021/03/15/the-washington-post-issues-correction-misquotes-donald-trump-frances-watson-phone-call-georgia/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
All without any intent to defraud their readers I'm sure! /S
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump issues lengthy statement after The Washington Post retracted false quotes
Breaking 911, Mar 15, 2021

Hours after The Washington Post made a correction to its story that it had “misquoted” former President Donald Trump, the former President issued a blistering statement.

The bad reporting from WaPo claimed Trump told Georgia’s top elections investigator “to find the fraud,” in December. The Post says this quote was false and they lay blame on an unidentified source.

“Correction: Two months after publication of this story, the Georgia secretary of state released an audio recording of President Donald Trump’s December phone call with the state’s top elections investigator. The recording revealed that The Post misquoted Trump’s comments on the call, based on information provided by a source,” the correction published Thursday began.

“Trump did not tell the investigator to ‘find the fraud’ or say she would be ‘a national hero’ if she did so. Instead, Trump urged the investigator to scrutinize ballots in Fulton County, Ga., asserting she would find ‘dishonesty’ there. He also told her that she had ‘the most important job in the country right now.’”

“The headline and text of this story have been corrected to remove quotes misattributed to Trump.”

TRUMP FIRES BACK:

More:  https://breaking911.com/breaking-trump-issues-lengthy-statement-after-washington-post-retracted-false-quotes-attributed-to-the-former-president/

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 11:22:12 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

TRUMP FIRES BACK:

“The Washington Post just issued a correction as to the contents of the incorrectly reported phone call I had with respect to voter fraud in the Great State of Georgia. While I appreciate the Washington Post’s correction, which immediately makes the Georgia Witch Hunt a non-story, the original story was a Hoax, right from the very beginning. I would further appreciate a strong investigation into Fulton County, Georgia, and the Stacey Abrams political machine which, I believe, would totally change the course of the presidential election in Georgia.

“Fulton County has not been properly audited for vote or signature verification. They only looked at areas of the State where there most likely would be few problems, and even there they found large numbers of mistakes. We are seeking to find and reveal the large-scale election fraud which took place in Georgia. Many residents agree, and their anger caused them not to turn out and vote for two Republican Senators in the January election.

“The Consent Decree signed between Raffensperger and Stacey Abrams was not approved by the Georgia State Legislature, and therefore should be deemed invalid, and the election result changed. Why the Governor and Raffensperger ever approved this Consent Decree is one of the great questions? We look forward to an answer.

“You will notice that establishment media errors, omissions, mistakes, and outright lies always slant one way—against me and against Republicans. Meanwhile, stories that hurt Democrats or undermine their narratives are buried, ignored, or delayed until they can do the least harm—for example, after an election is over. Look no further than the negative coverage of the vaccine that preceded the election and the overdue celebration of the vaccine once the election had concluded. A strong democracy requires a fair and honest press. This latest media travesty underscores that legacy media outlets should be regarded as political entities—not journalistic enterprises. In any event, I thank the Washington Post for the correction.”

https://breaking911.com/breaking-trump-issues-lengthy-statement-after-washington-post-retracted-false-quotes-attributed-to-the-former-president/

I don't think the President's response was "blistering".  I think it was straightforward and even handed. 

Don't forget ... "find the fraud" was part of the 2nd impeachment charge ....

Jack Posobiec
@JackPosobiec

"Find The Fraud, You'll Be A Hero" Was A Lie: WaPo Issues Major Retraction After Audio Vindicates Trump | ZeroHedge

"Find The Fraud, You'll Be A Hero" Was A Lie: WaPo Issues Major Retraction After Audio Vindicates...
He said no such thing...
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/find-fraud-youll-be-hero-was-lie-wapo-issues-major-retraction-after-audio-vindicates

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1371596130744733698
6:56 PM · Mar 15, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Ga SOS Raffensperger didn't release this out honor.  David Shafer is Chairman of the Georgia REP Party   pointing-down

David Shafer
@DavidShafer

You may have missed this correction from The @WashingtonPost in which the paper retracted its false reporting that President Trump told  @GaSecofState  investigators to “find the fraud.”

The Secretary of State’s office secretly recorded the conversation, mischaracterized its contents to The Washington Post and then attempted to delete the recording. It was recently discovered in a laptop “trash” folder as part of an open records search.

2:39 PM · Mar 15, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/DavidShafer/status/1371531429427970055

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
The avalanche of lies, deceits, betrayal of oaths and public trust to defeat Trump and get Biden into office.  Many of theircohorts still advancing the agenda of back then are practicing still here.  Democrats and NeverTrumpers won!  Team effort, and even still, shamelessly so.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Ryan James Girdusky
@RyanGirdusky

@RepLizCheney  are you going to apologize now the comments in WaPo were proven to be false?

Senior GOP Rep. Liz Cheney says Trump Georgia call is 'deeply troubling,' urges listening to full...
Her remarks laid bare divisions between Trump and the Republican Party just a day before a crucial runoff election in Georgia.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2021/01/04/liz-cheney-calls-trumps-call-georgia-official-deeply-troubling/4129223001/

7:02 PM · Mar 15, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/RyanGirdusky/status/1371597581726445570

The avalanche of lies, deceits, betrayal of oaths and public trust to defeat Trump and get Biden into office.  Many of their cohorts still advancing the agenda of back then are practicing still here.  Democrats and NeverTrumpers won!  Team effort, and even still, shamelessly so.

They won for now @christian   -- We'll stop them; it's our only choice.

Offline PeteS in CA

It wasn't just the WashPost. Multiple MSM outlets ran it, claiming to have "confirmed" it (= spoke to the same annoymorous liar(s)).

Washington Post: Hey, Sorry These Headline-Grabbing Quotes By President Trump Were Made Up

https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2/2021/03/15/washington-post-hey-sorry-headline-grabbing-quotes-president-trump-made/

NBC’s story on Jan. 9 was headlined “In earlier call, Trump pressured Georgia elections investigator to find evidence of fraud.” It opened:
ABC’s story was similar: “On December call, Trump urged Georgia elections investigator to ‘find the fraud’: Source” It opened:

The Washington Post's Fake Trump Quote Scandal Is a Lot Worse Than You Think

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2021/03/15/the-washington-posts-fake-trump-quote-scandal-is-a-lot-worse-than-you-think-n1432763

But, as Becket Adams explains at the Washington Examiner, “the Washington Post’s dud of a ‘bombshell’ isn’t even the most scandalous thing about this episode in media malfeasance.”

The most scandalous thing, Adams, argues, is that several different newsrooms “claimed they independently ‘confirmed’ the original ‘scoop’ with anonymous sources of their own.”

NBC News reported it “confirmed The Post’s characterization of the Dec. 23 call through a source familiar with the conversation.”

USA Today claimed a “Georgia official speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal matters confirmed the details of the call.”

ABC News reported: “President Donald Trump phoned a chief investigator in Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger’s office asking the official to ‘find the fraud’ and telling this person they would be a ‘national hero’ for it, an individual familiar with the matter confirmed to ABC News.”

PBS NewsHour and CNN likewise appeared to claim they independently “confirmed” the story through their own anonymous sources.

For 5 years MSM outlets ran anonymously sourced "scoop" after anonymously sourced "scoop" after ... anonymously sourced "scoop". And saw every one crash and burn when the truth came out. That isn't credulity and failure to learn. It was and is partisan hatred and malice.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 01:42:42 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The Sovietization of the American Press

The transformation from phony "objectivity" to open one-party orthodoxy hasn't been an improvement

Matt Taibbi, Mar 12, 2021

I collect Soviet newspapers. Years ago, I used to travel to Moscow’s Izmailovsky flea market every few weeks, hooking up with a dealer who crisscrossed the country digging up front pages from the Cold War era. I have Izvestia’s celebration of Gagarin’s flight, a Pravda account of a 1938 show trial, even an ancient copy of Ogonyek with Trotsky on the cover that someone must have taken a risk to keep.

These relics, with dramatic block fonts and red highlights, are cool pieces of history. Not so cool: the writing! Soviet newspapers were wrought with such anvil shamelessness that it’s difficult to imagine anyone ever read them without laughing. A good Soviet could write almost any Pravda headline in advance. What else but “A Mighty Demonstration of the Union of the Party and the People” fit the day after Supreme Soviet elections? What news could come from the Spanish civil war but “Success of the Republican Fleet?” Who could earn an obit headline but a “Faithful Son of the Party”?

Reality in Soviet news was 100% binary, with all people either heroes or villains, and the villains all in league with one another (an SR was no better than a fascist or a “Right-Trotskyite Bandit,” a kind of proto-horseshoe theory). Other ideas were not represented, except to be attacked and deconstructed. Also, since anything good was all good, politicians were not described as people at all but paragons of limitless virtue — 95% of most issues of Pravda or Izvestia were just names of party leaders surrounded by lists of applause-words, like “glittering,” “full-hearted,” “wise,” “mighty,” “courageous,” “in complete moral-political union with the people,” etc.

Some of the headlines in the U.S. press lately sound suspiciously like this kind of work:

— Biden stimulus showers money on Americans, sharply cutting poverty
— Champion of the middle class comes to the aid of the poor
— Biden's historic victory for America

The most Soviet of the recent efforts didn’t have a classically Soviet headline. “Comedians are struggling to parody Biden. Let’s hope this doesn’t last,” read the Washington Post opinion piece by Richard Zoglin, arguing that Biden is the first president in generations who might be “impervious to impressionists.” Zoglin contended Biden is “impregnable” to parody, his voice being too “devoid of obvious quirks,” his manner too “muted and self-effacing” to offer comedians much to work with. He was talking about this person:

-- excerpt, rest at link above --

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

Three months, an impeachment and a brand new administration later. Why bother?

Do they think this somehow will help them recover their long-lost credibility?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 02:29:49 pm by skeeter »

Online dfwgator

What else did they lie about all this time about Trump?

And how many people formed their impressions of Trump based on those lies?

rangerrebew

BOMBSHELL: Wash. Post releases MASSIVE correction on Trump election story
By The First
Mon, Mar 15, 2021

The Washington Post has silently issued a correction about a story it ran after the election alleging that Trump told Georgia election officials to “find the fraud” and that the official would be a “national hero” if she did. Now the Post is admitting those quotes were made up.

Initially, the Post said in January that in a post-election call with a Georgia election official, Frances Watson, that Trump commander her to “find the fraud” and said she would be a “national hero” if and when that happened. But newly-released audio of the entire call shows that those things were never said.

Here’s the correction:

https://www.thefirsttv.com/bombshell-wash-post-releases-massive-correction-on-trump-election-story/

Offline skeeter

Another bombshell minus the explosives.

They'll lie even more easily the next time. It works. The correction is simply a lame attempt to maintain their professional reputation.

Offline mountaineer

WaPo 'Fact Checker' Takes Aim at Trump Over Statement on Paper's Correction, It Does Not Go Well
March 16, 2021
RedState
As we reported last night, Donald Trump issued a statement in response to the Washington Post quietly issuing a “correction” of sorts on what they portrayed at the time was a blockbuster story about Trump allegedly demanding a Georgia investigator “find the fraud” that would make her a “national hero.”

“You will notice that establishment media errors, omissions, mistakes, and outright lies always slant one way–against me and against Republicans,” the former president wrote. “This latest media travesty underscores that legacy media outlets should be regarded as political entities–not journalistic enterprises.” ...

Trump’s statement did not sit well with the Washington Post’s resident “fact checker” Glenn Kessler, who rushed to the Twitter machine and immediately faceplanted the moment he started typing. Here was his reaction:
Glenn Kessler
@GlennKesslerWP
The Washington Post's reporting on Trump's call to the Georgia Secretary of State --undisputed, as the audio tape was obtained from the start -- was the article cited in the impeachment article. Trump naturally pretends otherwise.
6:52 PM · Mar 15, 2021·
... Except … the fake quote from the Washington Post’s original reporting that was supposedly “corroborated” was in the impeachment brief  ...
Read entire article at RedState
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online dfwgator

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Josef Goebbels read it, too!

And MANY others as well!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Another bombshell minus the explosives.

They'll lie even more easily the next time. It works. The correction is simply a lame attempt to maintain their professional reputation.

The point is.... it worked (a la Harry Reid re: Romney's taxes).   Lies work for the RL....because there are stupid people out there only too willing to believe the lies.   Their bias makes it comfortable for them.
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.

Mollie
@MZHemingway

Our media are so, so, so breathtakingly corrupt. They *always* mischaracterized this call -- in a corrupt and fraudulent way. But to actually make up quotes in service of that? We are so screwed. By our disgustingly corrupt and unaccountable media.

12:59 PM · Mar 15, 2021·Twitter Web App

https://twitter.com/MZHemingway/status/1371506325490962439