Author Topic: Minneapolis reaches settlement with George Floyd's family for record $27M  (Read 808 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Minneapolis reaches settlement with George Floyd's family for record $27M
By Marty Johnson - 03/12/21 02:04 PM EST

The city of Minneapolis has settled a civil suit with the family of George Floyd for a record $27 million.

The settlement was unanimously approved by the Minneapolis City Council on Friday. It’s the largest pre-trial settlement in a civil rights wrongful death case in American history.

“George Floyd’s horrific death, witnessed by millions of people around the world, unleashed a deep longing and undeniable demand for justice and change,” Ben Crump, the civil rights attorney representing the Floyd family, said in a statement. “That the largest pre-trial settlement in a wrongful death case ever would be for the life of a Black man sends a powerful message that Black lives do matter and police brutality against people of color must end.”

DEVELOPING...

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/542962-minneapolis-approves-record-27m-settlement-for-george-floyds-family
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The ultimate case of rewarding bad behavior. Every Minneapolis citizen ought to pay their property taxes under protest.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Minneapolis is a doomed city with no way back...

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Thinker by Thomas Lifson 3/13/2021

In what is claimed to be “the largest pretrial settlement in a civil rights wrongful death lawsuit in U.S. history,” the far left Minneapolis City Council has voted 13-to-0 to pay $27 million to the family of George Floyd. This happened as a jury is being seated in the criminal trial of Derek Chauvin, accused of third-degree murder, second-degree unintentional murder and second-degree manslaughter.  Floyd died of a drug overdose, according to the coroner, after Chauvin subdued him using a knee on his neck, as he was trained to do, when Floyd resisted arrest for passing a counterfeit $20 bill.

It is hard to see this massive payout to the family of a career criminal who resisted arrest and died of a drug overdose as anything other than an attempt by the progressives on the council to influence to the jury to convict Chauvin. Paul Mirengoff also sees it that way:

Given its timing, the announcement looks to me like an attempt to prevent Chauvin from getting a fair trial, assuming there was ever any chance of him getting one in Minneapolis. But even if I’m wrong in saying that this is the city’s motive, it is almost certainly the effect of its announcement.

Even the Washington Post, as Mirengoff observes, is troubled by the effect on the ability of Chauvin to receive a fair trial:

The settlement could have implications for the ongoing criminal trial of Derek Chauvin. . . .As jury selection began this week, Eric Nelson, Chauvin’s attorney, sought to block mention of any possible payout by the city to the Floyd family, arguing it would be prejudicial. . . .

More: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/03/minneapolis_city_council_agrees_to_pay_27_million_to_family_of_george_floyd.html

Online goatprairie

Floyd's immediate family on being notified they were getting 27 million big ones for being the family of a career criminal who died in police custody:

"YIPPEEEEE....HALLELUJAH!!!!!   :lotsosmileys:......er.... we mean, we're sooooooooooooo sorry brother George got himself dead...er...we mean KILLED!!! by the evil, racist police"  8888crybaby

Offline PeteS in CA

Minneapolis doing its part to sabotage Officer Chauvin's defense.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline LMAO

Minneapolis doing its part to sabotage Officer Chauvin's defense.

That’s because I think they’re coming to realization that the facts and the evidence are on the cops side.

Be ready for more chaos down in the Twin Cities. Let it rot for all I care.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online goatprairie

I'll mention again that what happened in Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, Kenosha and a  number of other cities is what happens when leftists take over city governments. Not liberals...leftists. There are few liberal mayors  running things anymore. Most of them are arch leftists.
Daley in Chicago and Rizzo in Philly, both Dem mayors,  would never have tolerated any of the lawlessness exhibited over the last year in their cities.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:11:13 pm by goatprairie »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I'm sitting here wondering if Kirk Cousins would have signed with the Vikings today...given what's gone down in that city/State since 2018.

Even though he got $84M guaranteed, his personality and moral stature tells me he would have maybe signed elsewhere.

Never have seen/witnessed a State...hell, the 'Nation' go to hell so fast.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline skeeter

The ultimate case of rewarding bad behavior. Every Minneapolis citizen ought to pay their property taxes under protest.

I'm wondering if I dislike any of my family members enough to get them to swallow enough Fentanyl to kill three men. Seems like it pays pretty well.

Offline LMAO

Never have seen/witnessed a State...hell, the 'Nation' go to hell so fast.

Same here .....for now
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline PeteS in CA

I'm wondering if I dislike any of my family members enough to get them to swallow enough Fentanyl to kill three men. Seems like it pays pretty well.

:sarc: It was a rather cheap investment to get rid of a family ne'er-do-well and get an 8-figure pay-out. :sarc:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Chauvin should have gone underground, established a new identity, and then slipped out of the USA to a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with America.

He'd be better off that way.

Offline mortarman

I wonder how much of that $27M did that slimy Steve Harvey Suit wearing bambulance chaser Benny Crump will siphon off the top. He's worse than those BLM-SS con-artists.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Online corbe

Great time to have a local rim dealership.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline PeteS in CA

Great time to have a local rim dealership.

Only if you do it as a pop-up, getting your stock and other assets out before rioters hit your store.