Author Topic: Shelby's retirement tees off GOP scramble for Alabama Senate seat  (Read 268 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Shelby's retirement tees off GOP scramble for Alabama Senate seat
By Julia Manchester - 02/08/21 08:26 PM EST

Longtime Alabama Sen. Richard Shelby’s (R) retirement is setting up what is expected to be a contentious Republican primary in 2022.

A number of names have already been floated for the seat, including Reps. Mo Brooks and Gary Palmer, Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill and Shelby’s former chief of staff Katie Boyd Britt.

Additionally, former Alabama congressional candidate Jessica Taylor and former President Trump’s ambassador to Slovenia, Lynda Blanchard, have been suggested as possible contenders.

The six-term senator’s announcement on Monday comes just weeks after Ohio Sen. Rob Portman (R) also said that he would not seek another term.

While the race for control of the Senate will be a nail-biter in 2022, with a 50-50 partisan split in the chamber and Vice President Harris able to cast tie-breaking votes, Alabama is likely to stay in Republican hands. Shelby’s seat remains “solid Republican,” according to the nonpartisan Cook Political Report.

However, the race to fill the seat could give insight into the future of the Republican Party in a post-Trump world.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/537920-shelbys-retirement-tees-off-gop-scramble-for-alabama-senate-seat
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Re: Shelby's retirement tees off GOP scramble for Alabama Senate seat
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 01:56:09 am »
I fully expect Jeff Sessions to try again.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 05:36:13 am »
With democrats election running on mega-steroids, guess what the mysterious outcome will be?
How fortunate for governments that people do not think...Adolf Hitler
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline American Patriot

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 07:41:06 am »
I fully expect Jeff Sessions to try again.
I pray you are wrong. Sessions needs to stay in retirement. The man was a lackluster AG, disappointed many people. He's what in his 80's now? Let him enjoy his retirement with his grandkids. We need new blood in the Senate. I would fully back Mo Brooks if he ran! That guy is awesome