Author Topic: The US Navy is planning to 'recycle' one of its first supercarriers. Here's what's next for USS Nimi  (Read 501 times)

rangerrebew

The US Navy is planning to 'recycle' one of its first supercarriers. Here's what's next for USS Nimitz.
Benjamin Brimelow

The USS Nimitz joined the Navy in May 1973. It was the second nuclear-powered carrier ever built.

But over the next five years, Nimitz will be retired, stripped down, and have its reactor removed.

The Navy is beginning to "recycle" the venerable aircraft carrier after a half-century in service.

On December 9, the Navy released its 30-year shipbuilding plan. With the ambitious goal of building a 546-ship fleet by 2051, the plan calls for 404 new vessels to be built as 304 are retired.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-navy-to-recycle-uss-nimitz-one-of-first-supercarriers-2021-2

Offline PeteS in CA

Scrapping naval ships is not a new thing. While decommissioned ships are sometimes used as targets in practice exercises and converted to stationary uses, usually they are sold for scrapping, for the value of their steel and other materials ("Converted into razor blades").

With some scrappings the historical loss is very sad. HMS Belfast is a cool museum, but scrapping HMS Warspite? Several Essex class carriers are museums, but not preserving USS Enterprise? Several fast battleships of the three classes are museums, but none of the BBs resurrected from Pearl Harbor mud?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ironhorsedriver

They haven't even figured out how to scrap Enterprise yet. She's still tied up in Newport News.

Offline mikezpen

Scrapping of the Enterprise...tragic. Saratoga used as A-bomb target.

One note: Elvis donated some concert revenues to finish the funding of the Arizona Memorial.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:15:35 pm by mikezpen »

rangerrebew

The ship I served aboard, the USS Ranger was the seventh to be named Ranger.  The first was John Paul Jones' ship which flew the American flag as it entered port in France and was recognized as being a ship from a new country, the first time the flag was so recognized.  She is now doing razor blade duty. buh bye

Offline ironhorsedriver

The ship I served aboard, the USS Ranger was the seventh to be named Ranger.  The first was John Paul Jones' ship which flew the American flag as it entered port in France and was recognized as being a ship from a new country, the first time the flag was so recognized.  She is now doing razor blade duty. buh bye
Same with my two Ships, Coral Sea and Forrestal.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Scrapping naval ships is not a new thing. While decommissioned ships are sometimes used as targets in practice exercises and converted to stationary uses, usually they are sold for scrapping, for the value of their steel and other materials ("Converted into razor blades").

With some scrappings the historical loss is very sad. HMS Belfast is a cool museum, but scrapping HMS Warspite? Several Essex class carriers are museums, but not preserving USS Enterprise? Several fast battleships of the three classes are museums, but none of the BBs resurrected from Pearl Harbor mud?

We have the Iowa (BB61) in San Pedro, the Midway in San Diego and the Hornet in San Fransissyco.   All well worth visiting and learning from.

San Fransissyco also has the old Pompanito (?) a WWII submarine.

For the Nimitz to end up as a museum, it needs a sponsor.   
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Scrapping an obsolete ship is a tragic thing, but one has to be realistic.   I was lucky, I guess, in that the ship I commissioned in 1982 became a moored training ship at the end of it's life and it's been modified and still in effective use today.

I had an intern leave my work and go through that program.  He sent me a hat.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline skeeter

We have the Iowa (BB61) in San Pedro, the Midway in San Diego and the Hornet in San Fransissyco.   All well worth visiting and learning from.

Im a ‘plank owner’ of Hornet having contributed an amount to have her preserved back in the 90s. Money well spent, as the ship hosted many reunions of WWII guys, while they were still with us, including a Battle of Midway anniversary event. There I had a chance to meet and talk with many of those guys, a priceless experience.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 03:26:18 am by skeeter »

Offline PeteS in CA

USS Pampanito is a museum in SF. USS Hornet is across the bay in Alameda. I've visited both. The Liberty ship Jeremiah O'Brien is in the same area as the Pampanito, and across the bay in Richmond is the Victory ship Red Oak Victory (near a facility that produced Victory ships).

The Iowa was moved from Suisun Bay to San Pedro relatively recently, and I think Midway also became a museum relatively recently (compared to the Hornet and Pampanito). I think 3 or 4 Essex class carriers are museums, as are 3 Iowa class battleships. But of the battleships between USS Texas (pre-"standard") and USS North Carolina, none. Of the surviving carriers on which USN aviation was developed, none. Zero pre-dreadnoughts.

I know, 20-20 geekasoid hindsight.

AFAIK, all museum ships have a non-government foundations that operate the museums.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.