Author Topic: Parler's website reappears online  (Read 1853 times)

BassWrangler

Re: Parler's website reappears online
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2021, 12:46:17 am »
Well I guess the moral of this story is: Don't let Amazon get a hold of your backend.... Because we know what they will do.  :laugh: :cool:

Yes, "check your six" is always sound advice.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2021, 01:55:39 am »
Yes, "check your six" is always sound advice.

The first thing my daddy ever gave me was a tin patch.  :laugh:

I've got it covered... 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2021, 03:15:19 pm »
Thanks. That's right.

Danged ol fingers ain't up to it today... had to backspace twice over 'thnaks' to get it right...

But thnaks atol all the smae.   :laugh:

AWS was rather near and dear to the Management of TBR.  We almost went with their service!  We were suspicious of putting any eggs in the Bezos basket, and we totally gave up after the Plandemic hiding of the football, when they would not allow bitchuting the documentary.  They also issued strict guidelines requiring COVID be presented in the alarmist way.

If they could bury that, they would have buried us too.  We stuck with MyHosting, after they got their equipment more reliable.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Idiot

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2021, 03:19:09 pm »
AWS was rather near and dear to the Management of TBR.  We almost went with their service!  We were suspicious of putting any eggs in the Bezos basket, and we totally gave up after the Plandemic hiding of the football, when they would not allow bitchuting the documentary.  They also issued strict guidelines requiring COVID be presented in the alarmist way.

If they could bury that, they would have buried us too.  We stuck with MyHosting, after they got their equipment more reliable.
When Parler gets back going, someone please teach me how to use it.  I found it somewhat clumsy to use, but this is likely my fault.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2021, 03:31:15 pm »
When Parler gets back going, someone please teach me how to use it.  I found it somewhat clumsy to use, but this is likely my fault.

It's not your fault.  It is clumsy to use! 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2021, 03:38:41 pm »
I don't know if I can get back in...didn't save my pw... :shrug:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2021, 03:50:13 pm »

It will only get worse. you really should be thinking of another whole site on a different server just for backup... Then if this site goes down members know to go to the other.

Or maybe a fusion with another org - Membership in one is membership in the other, so if one gets kicked there is a natural place to go to. Relying on FaceBoot for that is probably going to be of no help if the SHTF...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2021, 04:02:37 pm »
It will only get worse. you really should be thinking of another whole site on a different server just for backup... Then if this site goes down members know to go to the other.

Or maybe a fusion with another org - Membership in one is membership in the other, so if one gets kicked there is a natural place to go to. Relying on FaceBoot for that is probably going to be of no help if the SHTF...

Wish we had that kind of coin.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2021, 04:13:42 pm »

heh... My natural reaction to that is an IRC channel, and yeah, I still do.... But trying to get your average joe set up on IRC would be pulling teeth

BassWrangler

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2021, 04:32:39 pm »

I agree with @roamer_1 . Before the advent of cloud computing, one common disaster recovery strategy was to have a "warm backup site" or "active/passive" - basically an offline (not taking traffic from users) site whose configuration, software, and databases were periodically or continuously synced with the active site. In the event of a failure, you just point your DNS servers at the passive site and open the hole in the firewall to allow traffic through, and the passive site becomes the new active site.

But it's kind of a pricey option for a small site like this because you double your hosting costs. A less sophisticated option is to make sure to take periodic backups of the site, and move these somewhere else for safekeeping. This means you may lose some data if the hosting provider completely kicks you off or you otherwise lose access. Any posts on the site since your last backup are obviously lost. At the same time, one should have a documented (and ideally scripted) procedure to bring a replacement site online, and that process should be updated and tested everytime there's any significant change to the site (like upgrading the software).

In disaster recovery planning, the time difference between the most recent data in the live site and the most recent data in the backup is called the "Recovery Point Objective" (RPO). The amount of time you take to get your backup site running is called the "Recovery Time Objective" (RTO).

I've worked on a few small web apps over the years, as a way to earn extra money, and on both of those the biggest issue was absolutely zero notes about what had been done and the previous developer was long gone. I tend to take really good notes and document what I do, because I've been burned coming back to my own work after many years and not remembering what I had done. Unfortunately it seems most never learn this lesson.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 04:34:56 pm by BassWrangler »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2021, 04:43:39 pm »
Parler receiving Russian firm's services as it gears up to relaunch

Parler is receiving services from a Russian-based technology firm as the social media platform gears up to relaunch after being pulled from Amazon Web Services, the Russian-based company confirmed on Tuesday.

Parler reappeared online Sunday with a message from CEO John Matze telling users its return “is inevitable,” about a week after Amazon pulled it over concerns the platform could not adequately moderate potentially incendiary content.

Russian-based firm DDoS-Guard said in a statement to The Hill it started servicing Parler on Sunday night.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/technology/534782-parler-receiving-russian-firms-services-as-it-gears-up-to-relaunch
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

BassWrangler

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2021, 04:50:19 pm »
Parler receiving Russian firm's services as it gears up to relaunch

Parler is receiving services from a Russian-based technology firm as the social media platform gears up to relaunch after being pulled from Amazon Web Services, the Russian-based company confirmed on Tuesday.

Parler reappeared online Sunday with a message from CEO John Matze telling users its return “is inevitable,” about a week after Amazon pulled it over concerns the platform could not adequately moderate potentially incendiary content.

Russian-based firm DDoS-Guard said in a statement to The Hill it started servicing Parler on Sunday night.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/technology/534782-parler-receiving-russian-firms-services-as-it-gears-up-to-relaunch

Because their prior provider of their DDoS protection kicked them out, probably at the urging of Google or AWS.

There is no low the left won't stoop to...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2021, 10:53:16 pm »
Because their prior provider of their DDoS protection kicked them out, probably at the urging of Google or AWS.

There is no low the left won't stoop to...

And Russian, Czech, or Israeli are not surprising in the world of hack protection, antivirus or encryption busting.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2021, 11:04:26 pm »
I agree with @roamer_1 . Before the advent of cloud computing, one common disaster recovery strategy was to have a "warm backup site" or "active/passive" - basically an offline (not taking traffic from users) site whose configuration, software, and databases were periodically or continuously synced with the active site. In the event of a failure, you just point your DNS servers at the passive site and open the hole in the firewall to allow traffic through, and the passive site becomes the new active site.

Pretty much why I think that way - I am an old skool dude.

But it's kind of a pricey option for a small site like this because you double your hosting costs. A less sophisticated option is to make sure to take periodic backups of the site, and move these somewhere else for safekeeping.

I dunno, if you could figger out how to buffer it, mirroring to a podunk site could be pretty much the same as the cost of big-iron storage for a backup... It don't have to have bandwidth, or work anywhere near perfectly. In the same spirit as a fail-over generator often offering limited functionality to get by till the grid comes back up, Bare-bones are better than nothing... 

BassWrangler

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2021, 11:10:06 pm »
Pretty much why I think that way - I am an old skool dude.

I dunno, if you could figger out how to buffer it, mirroring to a podunk site could be pretty much the same as the cost of big-iron storage for a backup... It don't have to have bandwidth, or work anywhere near perfectly. In the same spirit as a fail-over generator often offering limited functionality to get by till the grid comes back up, Bare-bones are better than nothing...

I think the main thing is to ensure you have the ability to bring the new site online. Nothing worse than trying to figure stuff out while an outage is ongoing.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2021, 11:41:44 pm »
I think the main thing is to ensure you have the ability to bring the new site online. Nothing worse than trying to figure stuff out while an outage is ongoing.

Yeah, and I'd love to have a big Cummins generator sitting out in the wellhouse...  All I need is gold.  :whistle:

Jussayin...