Author Topic: Schumer says $2K checks will be top priority of Democratic-controlled Senate  (Read 268 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Schumer says $2K checks will be top priority of Democratic-controlled Senate
By Jordain Carney - 01/06/21 12:22 PM EST

Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said on Wednesday that passing legislation to provide $2,000 stimulus checks will be one of the first orders of business once Democrats take control of the chamber on Jan. 20.

"One of the first things I want to do... is deliver the $2,000 checks to the American families," Schumer told reporters during his first press conference after Tuesday's runoffs electiosn in Georgia that put Democrats on track to regain control of the Senate for the first time since 2014.

The Senate appears headed to a 50-50 split, with Vice President-elect Kamala Harris poised to cast any tie-breaking votes.
ADVERTISEMENT

Schumer declined to provide any details on how he would try to pass legislation for the $2,000 checks, like whether it would be a stand-alone bill, part of a broader coronavirus relief package or the first measure called up for a vote.

Spokespeople for Schumer didn't immediately respond to a question about whether the leader wants to increase the stimulus checks under the latest stimulus deal from $600 to $2,000, or if the legislation he will offer would be for new checks in the amount of $2,000.

Unless Democrats are going to try to pass the checks through reconciliation — a budget maneuver that allows them to avoid a 60-vote procedural hurdle — they will need support from at least 10 Republicans in order to pass a bill providing additional direct payments.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/532902-schumer-says-2k-checks-will-be-top-priority-of-democratic-controlled-senate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Yep, just like you had to vote for rats before you get law and order in your rat-run cities. Enjoy your Democrat majority, America.

Offline dfwgator

Thanks, Mitch.

Offline Night Hides Not

Thanks, Mitch.

Cornyn hasn't been any better.

John Cornyn Condemned for Tweeting Tenderloin as Republicans Block $2,000 Stimulus Checks

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/john-cornyn-condemned-for-tweeting-tenderloin-as-republicans-block-242000-stimulus-checks/ar-BB1cnOMi?ocid=uxbndlbing

Republicans stopped giving a damn about the deficit years ago. Mitch should be removed from his Leader position, be it Majority or Minority. Time for new blood.

I've been in favor of direct stimulus payments to Americans, for the simple reason that all of these job losses did not come from market forces, but by bureaucratic decree.

I didn't vote for Cornyn, I voted against his opponent. I DID vote for Beth Van Duyne.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Idiot

I don't want no stinking $2000.  I want $10,000 and I want it NOW!

Offline dfwgator