Author Topic: Senator Grassley could end up presiding during electoral college vote  (Read 432 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senator Grassley could end up presiding during electoral college vote

January 5, 2021 By Matt Kelley

If Vice President Mike Pence decides not to attend Wednesday’s U.S. Senate debate over counting the electoral college votes, Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley will preside instead over what promises to be a bitter, partisan battle. Grassley, a Republican, is senate president pro tempore.

“I’m going to be sitting in the chair listening to what all of my colleagues have to say during that debate,” Grassley says, “and at that time will decide how to cast my vote after considering all of the information before me.”

Some Republicans plan to challenge the results of the electoral college vote, claiming there’s widespread election fraud and President Trump is the true winner. Grassley says the move by fellow Republicans is perfectly legitimate.

“First of all, it’s a legal process under the law and under the Constitution, for these folks to do what they’re doing,” Grassley says. “It was done by the Democrats in 2004 and I think one other time. People that are finding fault with Republicans doing it shouldn’t do it when it’s done by Democrats.”

He says it follows the same procedure as in 2004 when Democrats objected to certifying President George W. Bush’s election, particularly the electoral votes from Ohio. Grassley says this is an important issue and it merits an open discussion.

more
https://www.radioiowa.com/2021/01/05/senator-grassley-could-end-up-presiding-during-electoral-college-vote/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Senator Grassley could end up presiding during electoral college vote
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 03:57:22 pm »
????

Pence not show up?  That would be his lasting legacy as VP.....
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 05:18:20 pm »
Looks like Grassley had a senior moment ... (and this guy's three heartbeats from the Oval Office).

Nicholas Fandos
@npfandos

A Grassley spokesman clarifies that the senator does not "have any indication Pence won't be present." Grassley, he said, was just trying to explain that at president pro tempore of the Senate, he would fill the chair if Pence does not show or steps out at points for a break

10:19 AM · Jan 5, 2021·TweetDeck

https://twitter.com/npfandos/status/1346476468705009666

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 09:49:18 am »
????

Pence not show up?  That would be his lasting legacy as VP.....
Pence might be considered by some to have a conflict of interest. Failure to accept the electoral votes of the seven states whose elections were questionable in either legality or veracity might be seen as trying to keep his present job and a shot at the White House in 2024.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 12:48:43 pm »
If he has any integrity at all, which I believe he does, he will show up and sign the document without making a scene.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 02:12:42 pm »
If he has any integrity at all, which I believe he does, he will show up and sign the document without making a scene.

What you describe may be what happens...but that would be a demonstration of the absence of integrity on his part.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:35 pm »
What you describe may be what happens...but that would be a demonstration of the absence of integrity on his part.
As veep Pence's role in this thing is strictly ceremonial. The idea that the veep could disallow a prez election is totally insane.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 04:36:22 pm »
As veep Pence's role in this thing is strictly ceremonial. The idea that the veep could disallow a prez election is totally insane.

He wouldn't be "disallowing" it, he'd be referring to the state legislatures which are directed by the Constitution to choose electors.  Further, nothing in the Constitution defines the VP's role as "ceremonial"...on the contrary...it specifically designates him as directing the counting process, a delegation that implies authority and discernment.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 11:27:42 pm »
He wouldn't be "disallowing" it, he'd be referring to the state legislatures which are directed by the Constitution to choose electors.  Further, nothing in the Constitution defines the VP's role as "ceremonial"...on the contrary...it specifically designates him as directing the counting process, a delegation that implies authority and discernment.
Fait accompli.