Author Topic: The Air Force Really Wants to Kill the A-10 Warthog  (Read 588 times)

rangerrebew

The Air Force Really Wants to Kill the A-10 Warthog
« on: December 10, 2020, 11:22:46 am »

The Air Force Really Wants to Kill the A-10 Warthog

But Congress keeps saying no.
By Kyle Mizokami   
Dec 8, 2020

The Air Force told Congress it wanted to retire 113 aircraft from its worldwide inventory.
    The 138 aircraft included A-10 Thunderbolt II ground attack aircraft, bombers, spy drones, and tankers.
    Congress mostly said no, and refused to retire any A-10s at all.

Congress has dashed the U.S. Air Force’s plans to retire nearly 140 aircraft, forcing the service to keep most of the planes in service. The 2021 defense budget will require the Air Force to keep all of the A-10 Thunderbolt II "Warthogs", B-1B Lancers, and many other types of planes the service had asked to shed.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a34907462/air-force-wants-to-retire-a-10-thunderbolt-warthog-congress-opposition/

Online ironhorsedriver

Re: The Air Force Really Wants to Kill the A-10 Warthog
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 11:42:36 am »
Turn them over to the Marines! Then you'll see what close air support is all about.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 12:07:06 pm »
The Chinese don't want to face them. Imagine a few of these on the south side of the Yalu during the Korean War...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 02:18:57 pm »

The A-10 is an ugly but extremely effective airplane but it does not look impressive in a fly-by. It not a sexy fighter nor a big sleek, powerful long range bomber. It has one purpose, close air support, which the Air Force brass has despised for decades.

Some opponents of the Hog say that for CAS the F-16s, F-18s, B-1s, etc. can perform CAS almost as well as the A-10 because CAS is about the mission not the aircraft and those aircraft have a much higher survivability record.

But for me the A-10 has something those fancy flying bricks will never have, the pucker factor.    Enemy troops shit their pants and run when they hear the BRRRRRPPPPP.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 02:55:16 pm »

The A-10 is an ugly but extremely effective airplane but it does not look impressive in a fly-by. It not a sexy fighter nor a big sleek, powerful long range bomber. It has one purpose, close air support, which the Air Force brass has despised for decades.

Some opponents of the Hog say that for CAS the F-16s, F-18s, B-1s, etc. can perform CAS almost as well as the A-10 because CAS is about the mission not the aircraft and those aircraft have a much higher survivability record.

But for me the A-10 has something those fancy flying bricks will never have, the pucker factor.    Enemy troops shit their pants and run when they hear the BRRRRRPPPPP.   
When I was working a well in Nevada near Groom, I got to see a couple of A-10s flying out over the desert. The maneuvers they could perform close to the ground were impressive, and reminded me of a hawk hunting over a field. Even that was intimidating enough to make me thankful that I wasn't the prey.

For an enemy, facing the hardpoint mounted weaponry as well as the gun, it'd be cause for incontinence.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 05:08:25 pm »
WHY?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 05:11:31 pm »

@Wingnut
The A-10 is an ugly but extremely effective airplane but it does not look impressive in a fly-by.

Maybe not,but it is as impressive as HELL when it's doing a flo-OVER and "lights up". Trust me on that one.

Amen,brother,amen!

Same with the old A-1 Skyraider that carried those big-ass napalm cannisters.

Can you say "Krispy Kritters on the perimeter"?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 06:24:57 pm »
WHY?
(Because the ChiComs don't want us to have good close air support planes when they invade the West Coast.)

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 08:57:59 pm »
My employer in the late 70s made displays for military aircraft, including for the A-10. The USAF was wanting to kill the Thunderbolt II back then, too.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 09:57:14 pm »
My employer in the late 70s made displays for military aircraft, including for the A-10. The USAF was wanting to kill the Thunderbolt II back then, too.

@PeteS in CA

Not sexy enough,not fast enough for the zoomies.

rangerrebew

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 11:27:56 am »
I really hate to think it's because the ChiComs don't want to face them but the military is becoming more and more PC in the style of the democrat party. :headbang: