Author Topic: Without Allies, America has No Shot of Competing with China’s Huge Navy  (Read 378 times)

rangerrebew

November 23, 2020

Without Allies, America has No Shot of Competing with China’s Huge Navy

Combined, the PLAN, coast guard and militia possess around 650 large vessels with military capabilities.
by David Axe Follow @daxe on Twitter L

Here's What You Need To Remember: America's allies contribute their own forces to international efforts to manage China's rise as a military power. But that doesn't mean the United States shouldn't reconsider its own strategy in light of China's numerical advantage at sea.

The Chinese fleet is much bigger than most people think. And that should compel the United States to reconsider its Pacific maritime strategy, one expert argued.

The People's Liberation Army Navy by 2020 will possess between 313 and 342 warships, the U.S. Office of Naval Intelligence estimated.

By comparison, in mid-2018 the U.S. Navy possessed 285 warships.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/without-allies-america-has-no-shot-competing-china%E2%80%99s-huge-navy-173051

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
There are no "allies" that will or can help.

And considering who is coming into power here, I would expect OUR "fleet" to start shrinking soon...

Offline libertybele

There are no "allies" that will or can help.

And considering who is coming into power here, I would expect OUR "fleet" to start shrinking soon...

China owns Biden.

All I can say is get ready and prepare the best you can.

I worry and fear for my kids and grandkids.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

China owns Biden.
All I can say is get ready and prepare the best you can.
I worry and fear for my kids and grandkids.
Ditto, except I'm glad I don't have children or grandchildren who would have to endure the coming turmoil. There was a time I wanted children. Now, not so much.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
China: Dreaming of a Blue-Water Navy (Part 2)

Medium.com by Valentin Vincendon 10/12/2020

https://medium.com/macromegas/china-dreaming-of-a-blue-water-navy-part-2-3116306904e6

China’s Missing Cornerstone Towards Global Reach — An Operational Blue-Water Navy

Let’s cut through the chase. Everything comes to the fact that China does not have a true blue-water navy.

You’ll remember from my previous post on the American Empire that the US could only reach their 5th and last imperial development stage — 5. Prevent any Potential Challengers from Rising — by first going through the 2 previous ones:

3. Control the Ocean Approaches to North America

The Pacific Ocean is where most of the maritime US focus lies. Both because of the war with Japan during WWII, and because of the strategic challenges currently raised by South East Asia (where more than half of the global population lives) and Russia.

Historically, the US has built three success lines of defence/control over the ocean, literally up to Chinese shores.

Not surprisingly, China does not keep the best memories of the last time a foreign power dominated its coastal territory because of a technically superior fleet during the Opium War.

More at link.

Offline Absalom

Hmm.....................so size dictates military outcomes, does it???
In 331 BC, the Persian Empire faced the Greeks @ Gaugamela(Arbela),
Iraq, determined to annihilate them for their refusal to kow-tow to Persia.
Within a matter of hours, Alexander, who was outnumbered by some 5 to 1,
destroyed the Persian Army along w/its Empire, leaving their Emperor Darius
hanging from a tree. So much for size!!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 03:55:47 am by Absalom »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The good news here is everything the Chinese build is junk.

The bad news is they now have enough money to hire European nations to design and build their warships or them,and with Biden and the Dims in the WH,some of them,especially the carriers and subs,may be built in US shipyards in the next couple of years.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Absalom

The good news here is everything the Chinese build is junk.
The bad news is they now have enough money to hire European nations to design and build their warships or them, and with Biden and the Dims in the WH, some of them, especially the carriers and subs, may be built in US shipyards in the next couple of years.
-------------------------------------
The decisive component in warfare is neither warships nor planes nor tanks and so on.
It has always been the quality of leadership be it Alexander, Julius Caesar, Hannibal,
Charlemagne, Napoleon, Von Moltke; among many dozens.
China has never exhibited the quality of military leadership that instills fear in adversaries.
In fact, the ranking military power in Asia over the past 2 centuries, despite WW2, is Japan.