Author Topic: In crackdown on Portland protests, state troopers are back, 'deputized' as federal officers. Why it  (Read 420 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

In crackdown on Portland protests, state troopers are back, 'deputized' as federal officers. Why it matters.
Yahoo News, Sep 4, 2020

As unrest has continued into a fourth month in Portland, a detachment of Oregon state troopers specially deputized to act as federal law enforcement agents has been sent to the city to help keep order.  The move, first reported by freelance journalist Deborah Bloom, allows them to bring suspects to federal courts for arraignment and prosecution, circumventing local prosecutors who are seen by some law enforcement agencies as excessively lenient with demonstrators.

[...]

It’s almost as if law enforcement is finding another alternative to just protect themselves,” said Higgins, explaining that “in certain parts of the country,” including Portland as well as New York City and Chicago, there is a sense of frustration among law enforcement officials who believe ongoing unrest is being enabled by progressive local prosecutors who’ve chosen to either downgrade or drop charges stemming from protests against police violence and systemic racism. 

“It almost appears to me as if this lack of charging or downgrading charges in protests, particularly in charges related to assaulting police officers, may contribute to more assaults against police officers because protesters think that they just will not be held accountable,” he said.

In an email to Yahoo News, Kevin Sonoff, a spokesperson for the U.S. attorney for the district of Oregon, confirmed that “select Oregon State Police troopers have received special deputation by the U.S. Marshals Service,” authorizing them under the federal criminal code to detain and make arrests and, “when necessary, to protect and defend federal government buildings and personnel during a civil disturbance.”

“The U.S. Attorney’s Office will evaluate all arrests made by Oregon State Police troopers under this authority for federal prosecution,” said Sonoff.

More:  https://news.yahoo.com/in-crackdown-on-portland-protests-state-troopers-are-back-deputized-as-federal-officers-why-it-matters-144802750.html

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 06:23:21 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

The troopers left because everyone they arrested was released.    Now they take 'em to the feds, bypassing the local rules and Soros' prosecutors.

This pleases me.   :smokin:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The troopers left because everyone they arrested was released.    Now they take 'em to the feds, bypassing the local rules and Soros' prosecutors.

You are not alone.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

Well said
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The move, first reported by freelance journalist Deborah Bloom, allows them to bring suspects to federal courts for arraignment and prosecution, circumventing local prosecutors .....

@Right_in_Virginia

Gee,ain't THAT a crying shame?

BTW,they ain't "local prosecutors". They are "local accomplices".
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 10:59:48 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Right_in_Virginia

Right. Those Local Prosecutors should be prosecuted for accessory for any subsequent crimes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

@Right_in_Virginia

Great point @sneakypete

Offline LegalAmerican

@Right_in_Virginia

Love this thread.  All excellent comments by you all!    :thumbsup: