Author Topic: You Cannot Make This UP: DC Wants to Remove...the Washington Monument  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: You Cannot Make This UP: DC Wants to Remove...the Washington Monument
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2020, 01:15:58 am »
@Fishrrman

You think the causation denizens of DC are adults? They seem more like children to me,begging for "More,more,more,daddy goobermint!"

I miss Barry Goldwater.
That's where the GOP took a wrong turn, away from Barry. By the end of LBJ, the voters would have been more receptive, and history could have been very different. Pity that Daisy ad didn't blow up in Johnson's face. (I still have my "Goldwater Dollar").
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2020, 02:57:07 am »
That's where the GOP took a wrong turn, away from Barry. By the end of LBJ, the voters would have been more receptive, and history could have been very different. Pity that Daisy ad didn't blow up in Johnson's face. (I still have my "Goldwater Dollar").
Conservatives who think no Republican has been trashed like Trump has been trashed most likely weren't around when Goldwater was running.
I was too to young vote at the time, but I remember all the negativity directed at Goldwater from every direction. Even MAD Magazine depicted him as a nut itching to start WWIII.
The media hammered him on the "extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice" statement.
Too bad Barry wasn't elected.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2020, 03:13:44 am »
Conservatives who think no Republican has been trashed like Trump has been trashed most likely weren't around when Goldwater was running.
I was too to young vote at the time, but I remember all the negativity directed at Goldwater from every direction. Even MAD Magazine depicted him as a nut itching to start WWIII.
The media hammered him on the "extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice" statement.
Yep, and to add to the furor, one of the finest bits of political propaganda since Triumph of the Will:
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
If anyone had any doubt, that marks how long the Communists have been heavily infiltrated in our media.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2020, 04:29:19 am »

@goatprairie

I was old enough at the time,but I was in the army with an infantry MOS,and thought voting would be a conflict of interest,we me putting what was best for ME ahead of what was best for the country.

Truth to tell,I still have mixed feelings about military members voting for those very reasons.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2020, 08:25:42 am »

Goldwater had once said that the nation might be “better off if we could just saw off the Eastern Seaboard and let it float out to sea.”  He was half right...he should have added the West Coast too!  But then in 64 naybe they were sane out there.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2020, 03:07:15 pm »
Goldwater had once said that the nation might be “better off if we could just saw off the Eastern Seaboard and let it float out to sea.”  He was half right...he should have added the West Coast too!  But then in 64 naybe they were sane out there.
After the Kennedy assassination, Pubbies had no chance. LBJ breezed in. It didn't help that Goldwater was against the '64 CR Bill. Instead of the 32% of the black vote Nixon got in '60, Goldwater only got 6%.  Goldwater was not racist (he had backed CR legislation in Arizona), he just thought the '64 bill was unconstitutional and would lead to disaster. He was right.
But ever since he ran, Pubbies have struggled to get even 10% of the black vote. Even Reagan never got 10% of the black vote, but he still crushed Mondale in '84.
People, at least average Dems, were a lot saner thirty years ago and further. Reagan got 62% of the white male Dem vote in '84. Today's Dems of both sexes are far more lib/leftist.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2020, 03:53:49 pm »
After the Kennedy assassination, Pubbies had no chance. LBJ breezed in. It didn't help that Goldwater was against the '64 CR Bill. Instead of the 32% of the black vote Nixon got in '60, Goldwater only got 6%.  Goldwater was not racist (he had backed CR legislation in Arizona), he just thought the '64 bill was unconstitutional and would lead to disaster. He was right.
But ever since he ran, Pubbies have struggled to get even 10% of the black vote. Even Reagan never got 10% of the black vote, but he still crushed Mondale in '84.
People, at least average Dems, were a lot saner thirty years ago and further. Reagan got 62% of the white male Dem vote in '84. Today's Dems of both sexes are far more lib/leftist.
Thirty years ago, Dems were still largely pro America and males were still males, not nonbinary whatevers. But even then (since the '60s and maybe earlier) the New Left (read: Communists) were making severe inroads into the Dem Party).

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1