Author Topic: Victor Davis Hanson: American soldiers leave Germany -- and suddenly Germany is upset  (Read 1070 times)

rangerrebew

Victor Davis Hanson: American soldiers leave Germany -- and suddenly Germany is upset

Will there be any point in the future when Europe is confident enough to be a full defense partner with the U.S.?

By Victor Davis Hanson | Tribune Media Services

President Trump recently ordered a 12,000-troop reduction in American military personnel stationed in Germany. That leaves about 24,000 American soldiers still in the country.

A little more than half of the troops being withdrawn will return home. The rest will be redeployed to other NATO member nations such as Belgium, Italy, and perhaps Baltic and Eastern European countries.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel is said to be furious. She claims the redeployments will “weaken the (NATO) alliance.” German commercial interests chimed in that the troop withdrawals will hurt their decades-old businesses serving U.S. bases.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/american-soldiers-germany-victor-davis-hanson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Why should US forces be deployed to Germany to defend Islam?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

Merkel and the German government didn't meet their NATO obligations and let their military decay, and now are surprised and outraged that Trump is moving some American forces out of Germany? Who do they think Trump is? Obama 2.0?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
German can always out source their security internally to the Muslem hoards they willingly let invade the modern DDR
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Kills that German region's economy, that's why.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline LegalAmerican

Oh, good point.  Did not think of that.  MERKEL, is buying oil/gas from RUSSIA and that is why we were there in the first place to defend Germany from Russia.  Why now? Then Merkel is delinquent in her payments to USA...NATO..for having this defense.  SHE WAS WARNED BY POTUS.  Pay up or we leave. (I am sorry I have a good memory. It upsets most people on here. ).  :patriot:   888mouth

Offline PeteS in CA

The German government has been playing "Chicken" with US Presidents over their military funding for years, ASSuming the POTUS wouldn't dare reduce US forces in Germany. With Obama they were correct, and I think they played GWB over this as well. Trump tried arm-twisting, and now has done what Merkel, et al ASSumed he would not do.

So, yeah several regions of Germany will be hurt, but ultimately, by the German government's choices.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The German government has been playing "Chicken" with US Presidents over their military funding for years, ASSuming the POTUS wouldn't dare reduce US forces in Germany. With Obama they were correct, and I think they played GWB over this as well. Trump tried arm-twisting, and now has done what Merkel, et al ASSumed he would not do.

So, yeah several regions of Germany will be hurt, but ultimately, by the German government's choices.

@PeteS in CA

And MAYBE it will cause the German voters to put Merkel and her party out of office come the next election?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@PeteS in CA

And MAYBE it will cause the German voters to put Merkel and her party out of office come the next election?

Nope.  I expect them to unite in the face of a common enemy.  That would be us, the nasty Yankees.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Nope.  I expect them to unite in the face of a common enemy.  That would be us, the nasty Yankees.

@Cyber Liberty

Since I have no idea what the attitude of the typical German is to Americans,I will take your word for that.

Seems like I remember the Germans liking the Americans 20-25 years ago,though.