Author Topic: The petty tyrants in your shower  (Read 1065 times)

Online rustynail

Re: The petty tyrants in your shower
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2020, 11:47:15 pm »
Yes there is a restricter but it was not installed and there were no instructions to put it in.

I think this was on purpose.  Our water has a lot of lime but in the year and a half we have used this shower head

it has not stopped up yet.   I was skeptical of this product but it has worked for us.

Offline corbe

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2020, 12:37:35 am »
   TTIUWP:

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2020, 03:41:57 am »
I just redid my bathroom with new shower and toilet, etc.  The shower head is a low flow, but I love it.  The toilet doesn't use much water as well, but it works GREAT.  I have NO complaints.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2020, 07:45:39 am »
I will keep that in mind. There is a replacement happening in the near future. I have entirely exhausted all paths forward trying to fix what I have. Just pisses me off. It's a good brand. I paid hard money.
That's where that Eljer surprised me. For a $120 Toilet, and a low volume at that, I figured it'd be a real John Wayne unit (Wouldn't take much off of anyone). I'm still not used to the handle timing--hold for a couple of seconds until it gets going good, but I have only had to plunge it twice. I'm just leery of not enough flow to move solids down the pipe. Can't dig those up very well for quite a bit of the year, here...so I want to keep them clear.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2020, 07:52:35 am »
@Smokin Joe

I am no plumbing goo-roo,but I suspect the force and volume of the new flush more than makes up for the lower volume of water.
The major drawback with a low flow toilet comes with moving solids out to the sewer main. The low water volume in a low-flush fixture can make this challenging, leading to problems like clogging and bad odors. In fact, the city of San Francisco’s push for low-flow devices in 2011 led to major problems for the sewage department when sewer mains around the city became backed up. The sewer system had been designed with a larger percentage of water in mind, and the resulting backups caused horrible smells across the city. These challenges mean it’s even more important to flush only waste and toilet paper when using a high-efficiency toilet.
source

It's 105 ft. from the stack to the main, and the plumbing is early 20th century, reliant on higher flow to move the solids down the pipe. Steeper gradients and different materials later (at the other end of the century) make for better removal with less liquid.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2020, 12:34:47 pm »
I’ve had low flow toilets for so long, because they’re mandatory now in apartments I’ve honestly forgotten about the toilets of my youth.

Same with showers, but my shower here has a very big head and it pulsates, so it’s a joy. And I love baths, and I even have a rubber duckie! (I know. I’m kooky)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2020, 01:38:49 pm »
source

It's 105 ft. from the stack to the main, and the plumbing is early 20th century, reliant on higher flow to move the solids down the pipe. Steeper gradients and different materials later (at the other end of the century) make for better removal with less liquid.

Steeper gradients are ok up to a point but be careful that they don't get too steep or the water will run off and leave the solids behind. 

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2020, 10:14:25 pm »
That's where that Eljer surprised me. For a $120 Toilet, and a low volume at that, I figured it'd be a real John Wayne unit (Wouldn't take much off of anyone). I'm still not used to the handle timing--hold for a couple of seconds until it gets going good, but I have only had to plunge it twice. I'm just leery of not enough flow to move solids down the pipe. Can't dig those up very well for quite a bit of the year, here...so I want to keep them clear.

I pump the tank every four years, whether it needs it or not... Conveniently remembered on every presidential election. Seems apropos. My inlet line won't plug. First it's on a fair pitch, and second, all the water drains, sink, washer, and etc provide plenty of volume.

The biggest problem with that pot is its newness... I don't quite get how it works, and all the old dudes don't get it any better than me. It worked for a while when I first got the dang thing, but it ain't worked right for four years.

The ONLY thing I have left to try is a hail mary... I think it relies on vacuum  in the main  (think venturi effect) to physically pull the load through - If it is sucking air at the floor seal... And that has recently become evident... Perhaps. So this time I will forego the fancy silicone seal that has been in there all along, and go back to wax.

If that don't work, I am gonna blow that dang thing up... Get me an industrial wall mounted jet-grinder and get it settled for all time.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2020, 10:18:39 pm »
What an "informative" graphic, Bigun!   ;)