Author Topic: Biden and Democrats look to 'Cash for Clunkers'-style program to boost electric vehicles  (Read 351 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden and Democrats look to 'Cash for Clunkers'-style program to boost electric vehicles
by Josh Siegel, Energy and Environment Reporter |
 | July 23, 2020 12:00 AM

Democrats eyeing full control of the government in 2021 are rallying around the idea of providing consumers rebates to swap old gas guzzlers with zero-emission vehicles, seeking to improve upon the Obama "Cash for Clunkers" program.

In recent weeks, presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, along with a special climate change committee created by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, has endorsed a plan by Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer to take more than 63 million gas vehicles off the road over a decade, replacing them with cleaner ones.

Democrats argue that it’s insufficient to just increase demand for zero-emission vehicles through measures such as tax credits, regulatory requirements, or restrictions on how much vehicles can pollute. Transportation emits more carbon than any other economic sector in the United States. Electric vehicles only accounted for about 3% of new sales globally last year, as consumers have been slow to pay for the higher upfront cost, along with being skeptical about the range of the vehicles and a lack of charging stations.

“Each new vehicle being purchased today will still be on the road in the 2030s,” Alison Cassady, the deputy staff director for Democrats on the House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis, told the Washington Examiner. “So if we want to dramatically reduce greenhouse gases from passenger vehicles by 2050, we need to quicken the turnover of gasoline-powered vehicles."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/biden-and-democrats-look-to-cash-for-clunkers-style-program-to-boost-electric-vehicles
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

That'll go well for people whose economic situation makes them dependent on buying reasonably priced used cars. Just as Cash for Clunkers 1.0 screwed them over in Obama's first MalAdministration.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Idiot

Might be time to invest in Tesla? 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yes, because CFC worked out so well in 2009.  Who doesn't want a delivery lead time of several months for a new car?  For those who forgot, or never used the program, people could not take delivery on their new cars for months after surrendering their "clunkers" because the government was slow in issuing checks. That's months with no car at all.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yes, because CFC worked out so well in 2009.  Who doesn't want a delivery lead time of several months for a new car?  For those who forgot, or never used the program, people could not take delivery on their new cars for months after surrendering their "clunkers" because the government was slow in issuing checks. That's months with no car at all.
Aside from one man's trash being another's treasure, some of the 'clunkers' were nicer than what I was driving, and worth more than the 4500 they paid for them.

What I hated was the vehicles had to be destroyed and none of the parts could be salvaged off of them, not so much as a bolt or nut. They nearly drove the local salvage yard out of business taking up space that could have been occupied by parts vehicles before they finally came by and crushed them.

Parts from wrecked and salvaged and recycled vehicles not only provided a source of viable components at reasonable prices, but ensured those components would have a more full service life before being scrapped--all of which is more environmentally friendly and affordable than disposable vehicles.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

And then there's the 600 lb gorilla in the room.

Hasn't this Carbon Footprint Reduction to ''save the planet" crap been debunked already?

Why are we even playing this game?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Aside from one man's trash being another's treasure, some of the 'clunkers' were nicer than what I was driving, and worth more than the 4500 they paid for them.

What I hated was the vehicles had to be destroyed and none of the parts could be salvaged off of them, not so much as a bolt or nut. They nearly drove the local salvage yard out of business taking up space that could have been occupied by parts vehicles before they finally came by and crushed them.

Parts from wrecked and salvaged and recycled vehicles not only provided a source of viable components at reasonable prices, but ensured those components would have a more full service life before being scrapped--all of which is more environmentally friendly and affordable than disposable vehicles.

Tue dat.  They were required to run the engines without oil so they would seize up and be rendered useless.  Didn't know ALL parts had to be destroyed.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

Tue dat.  They were required to run the engines without oil so they would seize up and be rendered useless.  Didn't know ALL parts had to be destroyed.
Yep. I wanted an external mirror and a couple of visor clips off one of the Suburbans. The owner of the yard informed me that if he sold me those parts, they would refuse to reimburse him for the vehicle. I isn't likely he could have recouped his loss by parting it out. It's sad because a lot of good parts for the model block I own 5 of were destroyed.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 05:31:58 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis