Author Topic: Winning the War on Distraction: Military Leaders Need Quiet Minds in the Digital Age  (Read 224 times)

rangerrebew

Winning the War on Distraction: Military Leaders Need Quiet Minds in the Digital Age
July 8, 2020 

By Bill Bray

If you believe reading well or deep contemplation helps one be a better leader, consider how challenging it can be today to make a quiet place where one can be free from digital distraction. It requires quite a bit of discipline to train the mind to focus without interruption or read challenging texts. But reading them will, in turn, discipline the mind. It is a virtuous circle.

In 2005, I deployed to East Africa. It was my sixth deployment and I was excited about a new challenge in a part of the world I had never visited. I bunked in a small room with no television or internet connection. I brought with me a stack of books to read, knowing that for all their demands and challenges, deployments away from long commutes and domestic responsibilities provide more quiet time, even with longer work weeks.

http://cimsec.org/winning-the-war-on-distraction-military-leaders-need-quiet-minds-in-the-digital-age/44535