Author Topic: Congress headed toward unemployment showdown  (Read 510 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Congress headed toward unemployment showdown
« on: May 22, 2020, 01:48:48 pm »
Congress headed toward unemployment showdown
By Alexander Bolton - 05/22/20 06:00 AM EDT

A debate over whether to extend enhanced unemployment benefits is emerging as a significant obstacle to getting a deal on another round of coronavirus relief legislation.

With the national unemployment rate expected to creep toward 20 percent in the months ahead, the fight over whether to boost benefits for Americans who lose their jobs or to keep benefits lean to motivate laid-off employees to rejoin the workforce is set to become a defining issue ahead of the election.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) says that Senate Republicans don’t have any interest in extending the $600 federal increase to state unemployment benefits that was a core component of the $2.2 trillion CARES Act.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/499074-congress-headed-toward-unemployment-showdown
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Re: Congress headed toward unemployment showdown
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 07:12:20 pm »
Congress has their jobs and their pay.  Beyond that, they don't give two sh*ts.  What have they done to create jobs in America?  A big fat nothing!!!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 01:46:03 am »
Congress has their jobs and their pay.  Beyond that, they don't give two sh*ts.  What have they done to create jobs in America?  A big fat nothing!!!
They don't create real, private sector jobs, they just get in the way or out of the way.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 02:50:49 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 02:38:32 am »
They don't create jobs, they just get in the way or out of the way.
Well, Nancy is on record of saying

Pelosi: 'Extending Unemployment Benefits Is Best Way to Stimulate Economy'
May 14, 2003

Economists tell us that extending unemployment benefits is the most effective way to quickly grow the economy and create jobs. It is a fast, fair and fiscally responsible investment. For every dollar the federal government invests in unemployment benefits, the return is $1.73 in economic growth. In contrast, for every dollar the federal government provides to cut taxes on dividends, the return is only nine cents.
https://pelosi.house.gov/sites/pelosi.house.gov/files/pressarchives/releases/prExtendingUnemploymentBenifits051403.htm

She actually believes this garbage
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 02:52:15 am »
Well, Nancy is on record of saying

Pelosi: 'Extending Unemployment Benefits Is Best Way to Stimulate Economy'
May 14, 2003

Economists tell us that extending unemployment benefits is the most effective way to quickly grow the economy and create jobs. It is a fast, fair and fiscally responsible investment. For every dollar the federal government invests in unemployment benefits, the return is $1.73 in economic growth. In contrast, for every dollar the federal government provides to cut taxes on dividends, the return is only nine cents.
https://pelosi.house.gov/sites/pelosi.house.gov/files/pressarchives/releases/prExtendingUnemploymentBenifits051403.htm

She actually believes this garbage
She is so full of it she's a walking superfund site.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 03:14:08 am »
More people working more wealth created.

Less people working less wealth created.

Pay people not to work and there is less wealth created.

It is as simple as that.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 04:44:56 am »
McConnell's approach is backwards.  I would nix every other bailout and extend the supplemental unemployment, while requiring workers to return to their jobs if offered.  The benefits are necessary to avoid civil disorder over the coming months.  Any stimulative effect will be a bonus.  What the media and political elite have done to the common American over the last few months is criminal.  They must be held accountable for their actions.  I just don't see any way around providing a safety net for the people whose livelihoods were destroyed.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 04:46:48 am »
McConnell's approach is backwards.  I would nix every other bailout and extend the supplemental unemployment, while requiring workers to return to their jobs if offered.  The benefits are necessary to avoid civil disorder over the coming months.  Any stimulative effect will be a bonus.  What the media and political elite have done to the common American over the last few months is criminal.  They must be held accountable for their actions.  I just don't see any way around providing a safety net for the people whose livelihoods were destroyed.
If anything, the supplemental UI, but at a fading rate-drop 50 a week, every week. Nothing else.

C S Lewis