Author Topic: The Navy Wants Dispersible Robotic Warships To Push Back On Chinese Missiles  (Read 402 times)

rangerrebew

May 14, 2020

The Navy Wants Dispersible Robotic Warships To Push Back On Chinese Missiles

And quickly strike back.
by David Axe 

Here's What You Need To Remember: The Navy is putting serious money behind its new fleet architecture, O’Rourke explained. The Navy is requesting $629 million in 2020 for research and development for three major unmanned ship programs and their enabling technologies. The service wants to spend a total of $4.5 billion on the efforts though 2024.

While the American fleet throughout its history has shifted back and forth between naval concepts favoring fewer large ships or more smaller ones, the fleet architecture currently under development for the first time includes large numbers of robotic vessels.

The goal, according to a June 2019 report from Ronald O’Rourke, a naval expert with the Congressional Research Service, is to deploy a fleet that can spread out during wartime, absorb Chinese missile attacks then quickly strike back.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/navy-wants-dispersible-robotic-warships-push-back-chinese-missiles-153756

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Nothing new about this. The Navy brass has always wanted mindless robots. Yeah,they will accept a few human sailors,but that's only because flogging robots is no fun.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Nothing new about this. The Navy brass has always wanted mindless robots. Yeah,they will accept a few human sailors,but that's only because flogging robots is no fun.
The Navy brass should talk to the Japanese, they have been building robots for flogging for sometime now.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The Navy brass should talk to the Japanese, they have been building robots for flogging for sometime now.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

@GtHawk

Ok,so flogging SOME robots might not  be so awful.

I wonder how much they cost?

Asking for a friend,of course.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
@GtHawk

Ok,so flogging SOME robots might not  be so awful.

I wonder how much they cost?

Asking for a friend,of course.
Dollar wise? I don't know, but society wise the Japanese are really jacked up and this may just be another reason for their low birth rate.

rangerrebew

I don't know how much a robot would cost the Navy, but your portion of the cost is 4 years. :whistle: