Author Topic: Tweak the KC-135 Stratotanker's Windshield Wipers. Save Millions.  (Read 275 times)

rangerrebew

Tweak the KC-135 Stratotanker's Windshield Wipers. Save Millions.

Aerodynamics is everything.
By Kyle Mizokami   
Apr 23, 2020

The KC-135 Stratotanker has been in service since 1954.

Using computation fluid dynamics, the Air Force discovered it can improve the plane’s aerodynamic efficiency by one percent simply by changing the direction of the windshield wipers.

The improvement could save the service $7 million a year in fuel costs.

The Air Force has discovered a simple engineering change to the venerable KC-135 Stratotanker could save it up to $7 million a year. Using computer modeling, the Air Force realized it could increase the aerodynamic efficiency of the converted jetliner by one percent by changing the orientation of the windshield wipers. The increased efficiency translates into greater fuel savings.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a32240193/kc-135-windshield-wipers/

Offline Idiot

Re: Tweak the KC-135 Stratotanker's Windshield Wipers. Save Millions.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 02:54:07 pm »
Tweak the KC-135 Stratotanker's Windshield Wipers. Save Millions.

Aerodynamics is everything.
By Kyle Mizokami   
Apr 23, 2020

The KC-135 Stratotanker has been in service since 1954.

Using computation fluid dynamics, the Air Force discovered it can improve the plane’s aerodynamic efficiency by one percent simply by changing the direction of the windshield wipers.

The improvement could save the service $7 million a year in fuel costs.

The Air Force has discovered a simple engineering change to the venerable KC-135 Stratotanker could save it up to $7 million a year. Using computer modeling, the Air Force realized it could increase the aerodynamic efficiency of the converted jetliner by one percent by changing the orientation of the windshield wipers. The increased efficiency translates into greater fuel savings.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a32240193/kc-135-windshield-wipers/
I was mowing the grass yesterday and saw a C-5 Galaxy flying over.  I had to stop and watch in awe...unbelievable plane.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 03:06:50 pm »
I used to love watching the Super Guppys fly out of Ellington.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 03:43:13 pm »
I used to love watching the Super Guppys fly out of Ellington.
My favorite is still the B-1, especially when they kick in the after burners.  Just a majestic plane.