Author Topic: Digital coronavirus data tracing would barter away American liberties: Laurence Tribe  (Read 300 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Digital coronavirus data tracing would barter away American liberties: Laurence Tribe
USA Today, Apr 21, 2020, Laurence Tribe

The benefits of the data-driven coronavirus tracing programs are immediate and tangible. The costs are more abstract and uncertain. But by trading abstract harms for short-term gain, we risk permanently damaging the fabric of our society.

Reopening our economy and society will require revealing more about ourselves than ever before. Knowing who can safely reenter public spaces demands extensive contagion testing, contact tracing and sharing medical information long deemed “private.” Especially for the digital generation, that might seem a low price to pay for greater normalcy.

But history teaches us to beware such bargains. They can permanently transform us in ways we will come to regret, as we drift over a “privacy horizon” from which we might never return.

Paradoxically, privacy is a public value. It begins with personal choices about what individuals share, and with whom. But the cumulative impact of those judgments far exceeds the sum of their parts. Just as decisions about liberty of speech shape not only personal expression but the vibrancy and openness of society as a whole, so too do decisions about privacy shape the character of the community.

Behavior differs in subtle ways in a world where walls have eyes, where everyone is an involuntary voyeur and intimate information is no longer ours to control. Immerse that reality in a thoroughly digitized world, and society is transformed.

More: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/todaysdebate/2020/04/21/coronavirus-data-tracing-barter-away-liberties-laurence-tribe-editorials-debates/3000576001/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
A blind Larry Tribe finds an acorn.   *****rollingeyes*****
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline aligncare

Good on him. While I don’t agree with him three out of five times, Tribe is a liberal; not to be confused with a leftist, who would jump at the chance of bartering away constitutional liberties so that they can control people.

I think it’s important in any discussion of politics to understand the differences between American liberals and international leftists.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Good on him. While I don’t agree with him three out of five times, Tribe is a liberal; not to be confused with a leftist, who would jump at the chance of bartering away constitutional liberties so that they can control people.

I think it’s important in any discussion of politics to understand the differences between American liberals and international leftists.

I agree.  Tribe's a "liberal" in that equation.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

08/31/16 Trump Rally Phoenix AZ 8 Complete Biometric Entry Exit VISA Tracking System

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Video+Trump+Biometric+Entry+Exit+VISA+Tracking+System&&view=detail&mid=441C584FB155B8D66DA0441C584FB155B8D66DA0&rvsmid=B8F8DDD0FE9BD4613A00B8F8DDD0FE9BD4613A00&FORM=VDQVAP

For such a time as this.

Sorry, not sifting through a video without any clue about what I'm supposed to be looking for.  Can you cast some light for this poor almost-deaf guy?
I will NOT comply.