Author Topic: Michelle Obama Given PBS Show After Democrats Gave Public Broadcaster $75 Million in Coronavirus Rel  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
No you don't. I don't know what your local PBS does, but  once the programming starts on PBS station, there are no ads until the end of the show. And the "ads" are promos for future shows.
You can argue that taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for the programming, but you can't argue a falsehood.

Doesn't your PBS station do "Pledge Drives?"  The one I used to work for in Phoenix did that a few times a year, and they always had 10-minute interruptions in the programming, every 50 minutes or so.  That's a long pause.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
No you don't. I don't know what your local PBS does, but  once the programming starts on PBS station, there are no ads until the end of the show. And the "ads" are promos for future shows.
You can argue that taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for the programming, but you can't argue a falsehood.
Unless they're having a 'thon
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Do you think people who don't visit national parks/monuments should have their tax money help pay for them?
How about that practice of charging the people who do go in, then?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Do you think people who don't visit national parks/monuments should have their tax money help pay for them?

You refer to objects that have admission fees (they are not "free" to the consumer).  Beyond the studio and transmitter equipment, the cost is for the programming.   Why are we asking forcing taxpayers to subsidize political viewpoints in programming with which they do not agree?  Thomas Jefferson said that is the essence of tyranny.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@goatprairie   @mountaineer

AND,oftentimes the adds at the front of the show are paid for by corporations or foundations,which means the taxpayers are not paying.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@goatprairie

There is no arguing with a closed mind. They "know" what they "know",and no amount of facts are going to be allowed to confuse them.

Offline mountaineer

AND,oftentimes the adds at the front of the show are paid for by corporations or foundations,which means the taxpayers are not paying.
But that just makes PBS indistinguishable from commercial broadcasting. Corporations pay for TV ads, whether on PBS, CBS or ESPN. So both the taxpayers and corporate donors are funding PBS, and for what? The same type of programming we can find on innumerable other (non-taxpayer-funded) networks?

I didn't intend this thread to be a debate on PBS, though. It's about the Mooch and yet another inexplicable payoff to the Obamas.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@mountaineer

Not really. The PBS board in your state picks the shows they air according to what kind and type of shows the people in that particular state respond to the best. That's why they send out emails to viewers to see what they like. By now,they pretty much all know what their viewers like,and those are the ones they lease to air.

The corporations get some positive PR that way,and they also get to write it off their taxes by supporting PBS instead of some other tv show or charity.

Corporations pay for TV ads, whether on PBS, CBS or ESPN. So both the taxpayers and corporate donors are funding PBS, and for what? The same type of programming we can find on innumerable other (non-taxpayer-funded) networks?

Clearly you don't watch PBS,or you would know better.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
But that just makes PBS indistinguishable from commercial broadcasting. Corporations pay for TV ads, whether on PBS, CBS or ESPN. So both the taxpayers and corporate donors are funding PBS, and for what? The same type of programming we can find on innumerable other (non-taxpayer-funded) networks?

I didn't intend this thread to be a debate on PBS, though. It's about the Mooch and yet another inexplicable payoff to the Obamas.

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Somebody seems to be under a perception that PBS programming is free of cost, and nothing could be further from the truth.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@goatprairie

There is no arguing with a closed mind. They "know" what they "know",and no amount of facts are going to be allowed to confuse them.

Well, there's no point in arguing with me about it.  I am firm in my conviction that I should not be forced to pay one red cent to promote viewpoints with which I do not agree.  I am in harmony with the Founders about that, specifically Thomas Jefferson.
I will NOT comply.

Offline mountaineer

On those rare occasions that PBS 1) is airing something worth watching; and 2) we actually can get the closest PBS station over our antenna (it comes and goes), I do actually watch PBS. If they're re-running Ken Burns' "Civil War," I'm watching. But I also can watch Civil War documentaries on several other cable stations. Either way, I have to sit through advertisements.

And, getting back - again - to the original topic:
Michelle Obama Scares Children with Creepy Animated Faces During PBS Storytime (VIDEO)
By Cristina Laila
Published April 20, 2020 at 6:06pm

... The former First Lady scared kids with her weird faces while reading a children’s book titled, “The Gruffalo.”  ...
Gateway Pundit

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
On those rare occasions that PBS 1) is airing something worth watching; and 2) we actually can get the closest PBS station over our antenna (it comes and goes), I do actually watch PBS. If they're re-running Ken Burns' "Civil War," I'm watching. But I also can watch Civil War documentaries on several other cable stations. Either way, I have to sit through advertisements.

And, getting back - again - to the original topic:Gateway Pundit

LOL at those pics! 

I can't get PBS at all on the free airwaves, if I want to see it at all I need to pay for cable.
I will NOT comply.

Offline mountaineer

I can't get PBS at all on the free airwaves, if I want to see it at all I need to pay for cable.
We have a DIRECTV dish for so-called cable networks, but can't get locally broadcast stations with that, so we installed an antenna for "regular" TV. The closest PBS station is about 45 miles away. It's hit or miss whether we get it, even though we get several other stations via antenna from the same city.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well, there's no point in arguing with me about it.  I am firm in my conviction that I should not be forced to pay one red cent to promote viewpoints with which I do not agree.  I am in harmony with the Founders about that, specifically Thomas Jefferson.

@Cyber Liberty

I am absolutely certain that Thomas Jefferson was never a PBS fan,and I admire your ability to discriminate against shows you have never seen,but still don't like.

I have heard rumors that George Washington was a fan of "carve em if ya got em" dentistry shows,though.

BTW,do you stick out your tongue at the tv and scream "neener,neener,neener" any time the local weather guy/girl gives out a forcast you don't like?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:32:16 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
On those rare occasions that PBS 1) is airing something worth watching; and 2) we actually can get the closest PBS station over our antenna (it comes and goes), I do actually watch PBS.

Since you live in the mountains and have reception problems,why don't you spend 40 bucks or so on a ROKU,and stream PBS and any other show you want to watch? Even CBS,ABC,and NBC stream their programs now.

If they're re-running Ken Burns' "Civil War," I'm watching. But I also can watch Civil War documentaries on several other cable stations. Either way, I have to sit through advertisements.

I will never understand why so many people see that as a negative. I see it as an opportunity to hit the bathroom or get a fresh cup of coffee. After all,watching a tv show ain't a timed competition.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

I am absolutely certain that Thomas Jefferson was never a PBS fan,and I admire your ability to discriminate against shows you have never seen,but still don't like.

I have heard rumors that George Washington was a fan of "carve em if ya got em" dentistry shows,though.

BTW,do you stick out your tongue at the tv and scream "neener,neener,neener" any time the local weather guy/girl gives out a forcast you don't like?

No, but that's because I live in a place with 350 days of sunshine per year.  One gets pretty happy to see any kind of weather. 

Look, I like to see the "artsy" stuff as much as anybody else, but I can get that at many places other than a gummint subsidized outlet.  Buying stuff on streaming is my preferred method of transaction.  It's helpful to my attitude when the "News" shows and documentaries are all Commie agit-props.  I don't watch the Weather Channel for that very reason.  It frosts me to know I'm paying for a portion of that garbage.  I can call that my own personal problem, easily. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
LOL at those pics! 

@Cyber Liberty

No,you don't. If you are too cheap to spring 40 bucks for  ROKU,you can usually stream most of them on your computer. Granted,the screen isn't as big and the audio ain't as good,but you CAN get it without having cable.

Be a big spender.  Spend the 40 bucks for a ROKU and come into modern times.

Like WW-2 movies? ROKU has channels that show nothing else. Like gardening? ROKU has channels dedicated to gardening.  Westerns? Who knows how many channels there are.

British shows? Try the Brit Channel.

Want to watch Game of Thrones from the beginning? Push the search button on your ROKU remote and say "Game of Thrones" and it will show you everywhere on the internet  it is being broadcast,what seasons are available,and how much,if anything,it costs to see it.

Like 50's tv shows? I pull in 43 local tv channels with my new RCA HD antenna. 38 of them are channels I didn't even know existed,and they only play stuff like The Carol Burnette Show,Alfred Hitchcock,The Twilight Zone,Gunsmoke,etc,etc,etc. All free. IIRC,the new HD antenna is around 40 bucks,also. If interested,let me know and I will give you a link to it on Amazon.

Last time I checked,I have access to roughly 4 THOUSAND channels on my ROKU. Granted,I wouldn't watch most of them if you threatened me with a gun,but the point is there is something there for everyone.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

No,you don't. If you are too cheap to spring 40 bucks for  ROKU,you can usually stream most of them on your computer. Granted,the screen isn't as big and the audio ain't as good,but you CAN get it without having cable.

Be a big spender.  Spend the 40 bucks for a ROKU and come into modern times.

Like WW-2 movies? ROKU has channels that show nothing else. Like gardening? ROKU has channels dedicated to gardening.  Westerns? Who knows how many channels there are.

British shows? Try the Brit Channel.

Want to watch Game of Thrones from the beginning? Push the search button on your ROKU remote and say "Game of Thrones" and it will show you everywhere on the internet  it is being broadcast,what seasons are available,and how much,if anything,it costs to see it.

Like 50's tv shows? I pull in 43 local tv channels with my new RCA HD antenna. 38 of them are channels I didn't even know existed,and they only play stuff like The Carol Burnette Show,Alfred Hitchcock,The Twilight Zone,Gunsmoke,etc,etc,etc. All free. IIRC,the new HD antenna is around 40 bucks,also. If interested,let me know and I will give you a link to it on Amazon.

Last time I checked,I have access to roughly 4 THOUSAND channels on my ROKU. Granted,I wouldn't watch most of them if you threatened me with a gun,but the point is there is something there for everyone.

I've been looking at Roku.  I've had an Amazon Fire Stick for a few years now, and I've been pretty happy with what I find there.  But Roku has it's advantages as well.  I like the ala carte channels.

If I can get the PBS shows minus the pledge breaks, I could go for that.  If I use Roku, I can pay for it myself, no government subsidy.  My desire to not fund perspectives I deplore would be satisfied.  Win-win!
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
We have a DIRECTV dish for so-called cable networks, but can't get locally broadcast stations with that, so we installed an antenna for "regular" TV. The closest PBS station is about 45 miles away. It's hit or miss whether we get it, even though we get several other stations via antenna from the same city.

@mountaineer

Dump the sat dish,buy this antenna,a ROKU,and a video recorder,and save yourself 100+ bucks a month and have a bigger selection.

https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Satellite-Broadcast-Epicenter-Reception/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=rca+antenna&qid=1587426528&sr=8-4

I got rid of Direct TV a couple of years ago,and am glad I did.

BTW,with streaming tv,there are no blackouts during snow or rain storms.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:52:54 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@mountaineer

Dump the sat dish,buy this antenna,a ROKU,and a video recorder,and save yourself 100+ bucks a month and have a bigger selection.

https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Satellite-Broadcast-Epicenter-Reception/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=rca+antenna&qid=1587426528&sr=8-4

Everybody I know who got a satellite dish ended up being glad to toss it.  When I moved into the Castle, there was a dish on the roof and one tossed into the ravine behind the garage.  I took both of them to the dump.

A satellite dish is a lot like a boat.  Ever heard the saying?  "The second happiest day in my life was when I bought a boat!  The happiest day was the day I sold it."  :tongue2:
I will NOT comply.

Offline mountaineer

@mountaineer

Watching TV is just not that important to me.  I'd rather spend money on other things.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Watching TV is just not that important to me.  I'd rather spend money on other things.

Maybe it's our age, but I just don't like it like I used to.  Now, for fiction I just binge watch garbage and call it good, for when I get tired of the TeeVee noooze.  Am I going senile?
I will NOT comply.

Offline mountaineer

Most of the current dramas and comedies are unappealing. I refuse to give Netflix a dime, given their Obama deal. If there's nothing interesting on TV, I can read, play the piano or look stuff up on the internet (currently planning a road trip to DC. and various historical sites in the area).

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Maybe it's our age, but I just don't like it like I used to.  Now, for fiction I just binge watch garbage and call it good, for when I get tired of the TeeVee noooze.  Am I going senile?

@Cyber Liberty
There has never before in history been such an immense collection of EXCELLENT programming as there is today.

Just one example is the western series "Lonesome Dove",and there are literally hundreds of other series just as engrossing if you don't like westerns.

You ain't cheating nobody but yourself.