Author Topic: 7 in 10 say shopping for groceries is a risk: poll  (Read 1629 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
7 in 10 say shopping for groceries is a risk: poll
« on: April 14, 2020, 02:56:17 pm »
By Justine Coleman - 04/14/20 10:43 AM EDT

Seven in 10 American adults said in a new poll that they view grocery shopping as a risk to their health and well-being amid restrictions implemented to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus.

This week’s Axios-Ipsos Coronavirus Index found that 70 percent of respondents said they perceive going to a grocery store as a large or moderate risk.

Just more than nine in 10 -- 91 percent -- also said they consider traveling on an airplane or mass transit as largely or moderately risky, while 81 percent said the same about in-person gatherings outside their households.

Tuesday's poll comes as several states have issued more restrictions for grocery stores during the pandemic, including mandating all people in the stores wear face coverings. Some stores are also limiting the number of people who can enter to enforce social-distancing rules.

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/492673-7-in-10-say-shopping-for-groceries-is-a-risk-poll
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: 7 in 10 say shopping for groceries is a risk: poll
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 02:58:34 pm »

So is getting out of bed in the morning, walking to the mailbox, and everything else you do every single day.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 03:10:25 pm »
The same people that are afraid of school names, statues and big ugly guns.... no surprise here...

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 07:30:18 pm »
Everyone I know says,  stay home; it's too risky at your age and with your health issues to go grocery shopping.  So I tried to get delivery.  What a joke!  Either I can't schedule a delivery for the next two weeks or the stores are still out of everything.  I don't fear grocery shopping; I'm just frustrated by it these days.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 08:05:06 pm »
Everyone I know says,  stay home; it's too risky at your age and with your health issues to go grocery shopping.  So I tried to get delivery.  What a joke!  Either I can't schedule a delivery for the next two weeks or the stores are still out of everything.  I don't fear grocery shopping; I'm just frustrated by it these days.
I go get my things early in the morning. Less traffic, things are generally freshly disinfected and there's far less likelihood that any residual virus may have settled in as opposed to late in the day after hours of people parading through.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 08:28:12 pm »
I go get my things early in the morning. Less traffic, things are generally freshly disinfected and there's far less likelihood that any residual virus may have settled in as opposed to late in the day after hours of people parading through.

Same here. Although I hate going out first thing in the morning...it is definetly preferable to later in the day. Of course I haven't been out since the first of the month so that could have changed. I'll see in May.  I'm running low on produce.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 01:31:22 am »
Heck yeah shopping for groceries is a risk, during the Covid shutdowns and scare, I was near run down by some psycho senior racing to the toilet paper aisle and I have noticed that everyone is racing around the entire store as if they believe the faster they move the less risk there is. And this is happening during the seniors only shopping hour.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 01:33:49 am »
The same people that are afraid of school names, statues and big ugly guns.... no surprise here...
I wonder if they cross streets?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 01:34:45 am »
What? You don't like scavenger hunts?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 01:36:47 am »
Heck yeah shopping for groceries is a risk, during the Covid shutdowns and scare, I was near run down by some psycho senior racing to the toilet paper aisle and I have noticed that everyone is racing around the entire store as if they believe the faster they move the less risk there is. And this is happening during the seniors only shopping hour.

I make a point of defying the palpable panic by taking my time, chatting with employees I know, and being courteous to all who will allow it. If I have no other opportunity to give the whole mess the proverbial finger, that will have to suffice.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 01:41:19 am »
Every time some mask-wearer asks me why I don't have a mask, I tell them it's because some a-hole at the front of the line bought out the whole store.  That usually shuts them up.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 01:48:12 am »
Right now you are at a higher risk of contracting COVID-19 than you were a few months ago.  I prefer to stay at home as much as possible and avoid the risk. 

Going into the stores is absolutely crazy right now.  I ventured in to the store a few days ago; some shelves are still empty.

"They" tell people not to horde, but yet "they" are also telling us to shelter in.  So ... it make sense to stock up so you don't have to venture out! 

Unfortunately, some of the "essential" stores near me are having to close because employees have tested positive. Too bad the spring breakers descended on us when they did; those stores that are having to close are in the beach areas.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 02:01:59 am »
Right now you are at a higher risk of contracting COVID-19 than you were a few months ago.  I prefer to stay at home as much as possible and avoid the risk. 

Going into the stores is absolutely crazy right now.  I ventured in to the store a few days ago; some shelves are still empty.

"They" tell people not to horde, but yet "they" are also telling us to shelter in.  So ... it make sense to stock up so you don't have to venture out! 

Unfortunately, some of the "essential" stores near me are having to close because employees have tested positive. Too bad the spring breakers descended on us when they did; those stores that are having to close are in the beach areas.
Everyone has to decide for themselves, I respect your decision but for myself I live my life no differently now than before Covid-19. I live my life no different than I did during the last three pandemics when everybody lived their lives normally, the one and only difference is that this time I am considered high risk. Then again I was always considered high risk.................to be around.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 04:30:13 am »
I  get out and walk for 1.5 to 2.0  hours per day.

My wife and daughter share shopping, but our style does not include two shopping carts per day.

More like a few small trips per week

Apparently obesity is a big negative, so more exercize and less groceries is a good thing.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 09:20:00 am »
I will vote for the first candidate to bring me some Cheetos.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 10:38:50 am »

Same here. Although I hate going out first thing in the morning...it is definetly preferable to later in the day. Of course I haven't been out since the first of the month so that could have changed. I'll see in May.  I'm running low on produce.

First thing in the morning is set aside for Seniors.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 11:06:53 am »

Where I live, the main supermarket chain's "senior hour" is between 6-7 am.  It also includes anyone with certain health conditions regardless of age -- people with COPD for example -- who are particularly at risk.    However, from what I've heard it's not strictly enforced.  No one asks for a photo ID or a note from the doctor to prove a shopper is a senior or at risk.  There is also a limit as to how many people can be in the store at one time; so regardless of age and health, a shopper just can't walk into the store.   If the number of shoppers inside is at the limit, people have to wait in line till people exit; then more shoppers can be admitted into the store.

Ordinarily, when I shop, I know what I want and most of the time I only buy what's on the list.  I don't dawdle -- in and out as fast as possible.  However,  most people take their time, chat with people they know and so forth.  I can see  grocery shopping  which used to take me no more than ten or 15 minutes, now taking hours to complete. 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 11:10:13 am »
I tried to order some things online at Sam's Club, thinking I could stop by for curbside delivery the next time I'm in the area. The only problem seems to be that everything I needed was "out of stock." Seriously, even ibuprofen?

Never mind, I guess I'll keep going to my local grocery store.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 11:22:20 am »
I tried to order some things online at Sam's Club, thinking I could stop by for curbside delivery the next time I'm in the area. The only problem seems to be that everything I needed was "out of stock." Seriously, even ibuprofen?

Well, be prepared for your local store to be out of it too.  I'm amazed that after all this time, there are still a lot of things the stores don't have.  Ok, when this all started, there was the proverbial run on toilet paper.  But after three weeks, the stores still don't have it?  Are they not getting their shipments or are people still loading up their carts with tons of TP as soon as it is put on the shelves? 

There are limits on the quantities of many products one can buy, but I'll bet there are many who have found ways to get around those limits.  A friend whose grandson works at  the nearest Sam's Club says he knows people load up their cart with the limit, then send someone else into the store to get more for them.

Anyway, these shortages are ridiculous, and whatever is wrong should be addressed. 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 11:26:54 am »
Anyway, these shortages are ridiculous, and whatever is wrong should be addressed.
Quite agree. Once in the past several weeks have I seen TP on the shelves at Kroger. I didn't buy it at that time, because we're probably set for at least a couple of months. But this really is ridiculous. People can be such idiots!  9999hair out0000

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 11:31:01 am »

Ibuprofen starts selling out the moment doctors said Tylenol only for coronovirus and not Advil. I had a doctors appointment yesterday and when I went to Walgreens for my script, I did get my mitts on a bottle of their brand. They did have Advil and other NSAIDs if you want to go that route. 
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline berdie

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 03:00:15 pm »

As much as it sends me into shock....I fall into the "senior" category.  happy77

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 03:09:19 pm »
My husband does all the shopping (goes once a week), because 1) he's younger than I am, and 2) he was a hospital administrator for over 40 years, so he's super careful about wiping everything down and doing what he's learned over the years to keep germs from spreading.

He goes early in the morning and has said that supplies in general are good - especially produce - but that TP is only there occasionally, and never, ever Clorox wipes.

I went online last night to Amazon, Walmart and Target to try to find some, but they were all "out of stock."

We have some from before (because I'm clean!), and if we run out, we'll make our own with paper towels, bleach and dish soap.

These are weird times.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2020, 03:11:46 pm »
Ibuprofen starts selling out the moment doctors said Tylenol only for coronovirus and not Advil. I had a doctors appointment yesterday and when I went to Walgreens for my script, I did get my mitts on a bottle of their brand. They did have Advil and other NSAIDs if you want to go that route.
Since I had to travel to a nearby city for a doctor's appointment anyway, I stopped at Sam's Club afterward and - lo, and behold! - they had ibuprofen after all. They had just one brand of toilet paper  (not the right kind, so I skipped it), but otherwise I found just about everything I needed.

Most people in the store were wearing masks, although some had them pulled down below their noses. Not sure about the efficacy of that.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2020, 03:13:00 pm »
I make a point of defying the palpable panic by taking my time, chatting with employees I know, and being courteous to all who will allow it. If I have no other opportunity to give the whole mess the proverbial finger, that will have to suffice.

That's interesting.  We're still very friendly with folks we see (my husband at the store and both of us on our long neighborhood walks), but still cognizant of the fact that social distancing is the wise thing to do right now.

And never a thought of giving anyone the finger.........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.