Author Topic: Schumer requests $8.5B to battle coronavirus, rejecting Trump budget demand as inadequate  (Read 496 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Schumer requests $8.5B to battle coronavirus, rejecting Trump budget demand as inadequate
by Susan Ferrechio
 | February 26, 2020 09:35 AM

Senate Democrats plan to seek $8.5 billion in new federal funding to battle the coronavirus outbreak after condemning President Trump’s $2.5 billion request as inadequate.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer “is preparing a detailed Senate request” for the money, a top aide told the Washington Examiner.

“Expect Schumer’s request to be finalized this morning and sent to appropriators,” the aide said.

Democrats on Tuesday dismissed the Trump administration's $2.5 billion emergency funding request as far too low to prepare the nation to combat the virus in an adequate manner, given its spread in several countries. Democrats point out Congress appropriated $7 billion to battle the spread of the H1N1 virus 11 years ago.

Congress is preparing to take up the supplemental spending measure soon, but the final number will have to be negotiated between Democrats and Republicans in both chambers.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/schumer-8-5b-to-battle-coronavirus-rejecting-trump-budget-demand-as-inadequate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Hoodat

More people will die from the lack of a wall on our Southern border than will die from coronavirus.  Perhaps Schumer should be more prudent here with the taxpayers' money.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Applewood

What I want to know is where the money -- whatever amount -- will be spent.  Where does each side get their figures from?    It's a rather large gap between $2.5B and $8.5 B.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

More people will die from the lack of a wall on our Southern border than will die from coronavirus.  Perhaps Schumer should be more prudent here with the taxpayers' money.
@Hoodat
Hillarious!!!  You do realize the emergency funding by Congress was raided through a national emergency act by Trump to build the Wall in 2019?  You remember that?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emergency_Concerning_the_Southern_Border_of_the_United_States

Online Hoodat

Thanks for bringing that up.  Trump clearly has the correct priority here.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
My response would be to agree for wall funds money, and closing the border if it comes up from the south.
The Republic is lost.

Offline skeeter

My response would be to agree for wall funds money, and closing the border if it comes up from the south.

How is the federal government supposed to protect the public from disease in areas that provide sanctuary for illegal immigrants and allows homeless to crap in streets. There are a great many strings that can be tied to this request.

How is the federal government supposed to protect the public from disease in areas that provide sanctuary for illegal immigrants and allows homeless to crap in streets. There are a great many strings that can be tied to this request.

If the Federal government could just subjugate disobedient states and communities they could institute a purge to eliminate these unwanted element of our society.

Offline skeeter

If the Federal government could just subjugate disobedient states and communities they could institute a purge to eliminate these unwanted element of our society.

Are you feeling alright?

Are you feeling alright?
My wife's a pain in the ass. She's always busting my friggin' agates. My daughter's married to a real loser bastard. And I got a rash so bad on my ass, I can't even sit down. But you know me. I can't complain.

Offline skeeter

My wife's a pain in the ass. She's always busting my friggin' agates. My daughter's married to a real loser bastard. And I got a rash so bad on my ass, I can't even sit down. But you know me. I can't complain.

Well thats your problem right there - you need to go on-line & mewl about Trump more often.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Trump should take the $8.5B, and declare a wall on the Southern border is vital to stopping the virus.

Win-win!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Trump should take the $8.5B, and declare a wall on the Southern border is vital to stopping the virus.

Win-win!

Makes as much sense as anything else President Trump ever said, plus his voters are far too dumb to know where the virus actually comes from.  "FLICKIN FOREIGNERS!"  Lying to America is what's expected from great leaders!

Are you sick of all the winning yet?