Author Topic: Hunting is ‘slowly dying off,’ and that has created a crisis for the nation’s many endangered specie  (Read 701 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hunting-is-slowly-dying-off-and-that-has-created-a-crisis-for-the-nations-many-endangered-species/ar-BBZA5Pc

by Frances Sellers, The Washington Post
February 3, 2020

Public lands such as these at the Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area are a shared resource, open to an unlikely mix of hunters and hikers, birdwatchers and mountain bikers.

“It’s a symbiotic thing,” said Meg Stoeri, Tom’s wife and fellow photographer.

But today, that symbiosis is off kilter: Americans’ interest in hunting is on the decline, cutting into funding for conservation, which stems largely from hunting licenses, permits and taxes on firearms, bows and other equipment.

Even as more people are engaging in outdoor activities, hunting license sales have fallen from a peak of about 17 million in the early ’80s to 15 million last year, according to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service data. The agency’s 2016 survey suggested a steeper decline to 11.5 million Americans who say they hunt, down more than 2 million from five years earlier.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher

by Frances Sellers, The Washington Post
February 3, 2020

Public lands such as these at the Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area are a shared resource, open to an unlikely mix of hunters and hikers, birdwatchers and mountain bikers.

“It’s a symbiotic thing,” said Meg Stoeri, Tom’s wife and fellow photographer.

But today, that symbiosis is off kilter: Americans’ interest in hunting is on the decline, cutting into funding for conservation, which stems largely from hunting licenses, permits and taxes on firearms, bows and other equipment.

One stat to watch, if this is truly the case?  Traffic deaths due to Deer collisons.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

Not in my neck of the woods.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

One stat to watch, if this is truly the case?  Traffic deaths due to Deer collisons.
Wait until the anti-hunting idiots see herds of deer in their backyards munching on their roses.  I see a big boost in deer rifle sales.
We also have wild pigs now up where I live. They might be good for barbecuing.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
IF hunting truly is dying it is because it has been regulated to death.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Wait until the anti-hunting idiots see herds of deer in their backyards munching on their roses.  I see a big boost in deer rifle sales.
We also have wild pigs now up where I live. They might be good for barbecuing.

@goatprairie

Only if you catch them in something like REALLY strong "rabbit boxes" and feed them corn for a month or so to get all the "rank" out of their systems.

Build your box really strong,and use screws instead of nails. On top of that,build it narrow enough the hog can't turn around inside it. Trust me on this.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
IF hunting truly is dying it is because it has been regulated to death.

@Bigun

Not really. Almost all the hunters around here are tourists who come here to go hunting.  Most of the locals are too busy trying to earn a living to spend much time hunting or teaching their children to hunt. Plus,for whatever reasons,I never seem to see 12-14 year olds out hunting with their fathers or older brothers. Lose them and the game is over.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

Not really. Almost all the hunters around here are tourists who come here to go hunting.  Most of the locals are too busy trying to earn a living to spend much time hunting or teaching their children to hunt. Plus,for whatever reasons,I never seem to see 12-14 year olds out hunting with their fathers or older brothers. Lose them and the game is over.

It is also possible that many of those locals got tired of dealing with all the BS required to legally take your kid hunting and said to hell with it @sneakypete

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It is also possible that many of those locals got tired of dealing with all the BS required to legally take your kid hunting and said to hell with it @sneakypete

@Bigun

Could be,but more likely to be a result of the "urbanization" of rural areas by the internet,sat tv,and city critters moving to the burbs to get away from the city. This NEVER works because they bring it with them when they move in.  They usually have pre-teen children,and  before long their children are marrying the children of the locals,and "mama won't let me shoot guns because they are dangerous."

And this isn't even addressing the whole "I'd rather stay in and play video games!" reality of modern life.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:33:59 pm by sneakypete »

Offline berdie

@Bigun

And this isn't even addressing the whole "I'd rather stay in and play video games!" reality of modern life.

I think you hit the nail on the head @sneakypete . They don't go outside any more.

Everybody I knew and their kids used to hunt.  There was an abundance of game meat and I could always get plenty. I used to bird hunt myself (love me some quail or dove) but I've gotten soft in my old age and can't do it anymore.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I think you hit the nail on the head @sneakypete . They don't go outside any more.

Everybody I knew and their kids used to hunt.  There was an abundance of game meat and I could always get plenty. I used to bird hunt myself (love me some quail or dove) but I've gotten soft in my old age and can't do it anymore.

I no longer hunt or fish because the government charges me exorbitant fees to do so and then I have to take my lawyer with me to tell me what I can shoot, how many, what sex, etc. etc.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

I no longer hunt or fish because the government charges me exorbitant fees to do so and then I have to take my lawyer with me to tell me what I can shoot, how many, what sex, etc. etc.

That is also a big consideration! :laugh:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Plenty of hunting here. Then again I live in the deer capitol of the planet.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

Sell more B tags... All the more for me.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@goatprairie

Only if you catch them in something like REALLY strong "rabbit boxes" and feed them corn for a month or so to get all the "rank" out of their systems.

Build your box really strong,and use screws instead of nails. On top of that,build it narrow enough the hog can't turn around inside it. Trust me on this.
Best venison I ever had was shot in a sunflower field.

Lots of fat on that critter, and it was just walking when harvested. One and done. no adrenaline/lactic acid in the meat.

That makes for good eating.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis