Author Topic: A sensible way to un-saturate the MLB postseason  (Read 725 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
A sensible way to un-saturate the MLB postseason
« on: February 03, 2020, 01:17:20 am »
Too many thrills watching the fight for… second place? Too many postseason games? Here’s a sensible re-alignment suggestion.
By Yours Truly
https://calltothepen.com/2020/02/02/mlb-postseason-tim-un-saturate/

Over 23 million people watched Game Seven of the 2019 World Series, perhaps heartened by the surreal resilience of the Washington Nationals against the burdens of their city's baseball history and the Houston Astros alike. (That was then: "Washington---First in war, first in peace, and last in the American League." This is now: "Washington---First in war, first in peace, and first in Show.)

Like the Nats' host city does almost by nature, the Astros are now seen as a compromised giant. But Game Seven's impressive-looking television viewership merely softened the blow of it having been the least-viewed Game Seven on record. Which gives me a pleasant excuse to argue once again on behalf of something I've argued before: the pennant races and the MLB postseason alike are bedeviled by a blend of dilution and saturation.

Dilution because the races are compromised. Saturation because there are too many more games than absolutely necessary to determine World Series combatants, and because the World Series itself has had its primacy undermined.

For long enough baseball's government has gazed upon other sports leagues and decided, well, those leagues are surging in popularity so it's obvious that baseball's in big trouble---let's fix what's not broken, instead of worrying about what might be broken.

During the 1990s, so help me God you could have sworn baseball's attitude taking that direction and others amounted to, Baseball sucks. Bring the wife and kids! So, on behalf of baseball not sucking anymore, the Lords of Baseball decided, well, the NFL and the NBA and even the NHL are doing boffo business with those protracted postseasons of theirs, so we'd better get in on it before we lose the plot entirely.

Except that baseball lost the plots going that way. The plot of the good, long, summer season, and championship plot, that is. From the moment baseball decided it needed wild cards rather than sensible divisional re-alignment, as often as not and more often than healthy we've been living all the thrills and chills of sitting on the edges of our seats waiting to see who'd end up . . . in second place, and with the best shot at a wild card postseason entry.

The good news is that even baseball's shortsighted lordships haven't sent the game toward the truly ridiculous extremes of basketball and hockey postseasons. Last year, sixteen teams each in the thirty-team NBA and thirty-one team NHL opened the playoffs. Ten of thirty baseball teams including the wild card teams open a postseason. It's still far too much, and the MLB postseason itself is still too saturating.

As wonderful as it was to watch the Nats plow through last year's MLB postseason all the way to the Promised Land, and with a few hair-raisers along the way to augment their achievement, it's also true that they got in in the first place by winning the first of two National League wild cards for having the best record among second-place finishers. The 2019 Nats went from baseball's low (19-31 when they went to sleep May 23) to baseball's best the rest of the way.
But imagine how much better their 74-38 the rest of the way would have been if they had no incentive but the division title for which to play?

Since MLB seems disinclined to think about it for the moment, allow me the license of audacity to think for it. Eliminate the wild cards, once and for all. We don't need to experience the aforementioned second-place thrills and chills, we need to re-experience real championship competition again.

This is not childhood, in which the sometimes harsh but usually enlightening lessons of human nature's competitiveness are neutralized in favor of feeling good. (I speak from experience: once, in the third grade, I was denied a prize I'd earned for winning my tenth consecutive spelling contest because---so help me, this is what my teacher said, decades ahead of her time---it was "unfair" that I happened to win them fair and square, and it was someone else's "turn.") Major league baseball is played by young and not-so-young men who are well enough past the time when they need feel-good prizes equal to someone else's earning just to remove the transient sting of loss. It needs to reward proper achievement properly.

So imagine that the division winner with the best regular-season record among each league's trio of leaders should get a division-series bye while the other two division leaders each get to slug it out in a best-of-three. Bank on it. It would be a lot more thrilling for fans in the ballparks and in front of their television sets or radios or computers, and a lot more incentive-drenched for the contestants.

Then, imagine the winners of those best-of-three division series meeting the division bye winners in a League Championship Series . . . returned to the LCS's original best-of-five format. You've done a lot more than just remove a championship disincentive, you just might have sent the saturation factor clean over the center-field fence.

The World Series, thus remaining its best-of-seven format, would see its position as baseball's Promised Land restored to its proper primacy and respect. Not to mention that we wouldn't be anywhere near close to the prospective specter of the World Series extending into November. (So that would deny someone else earning Hall of Famer Derek Jeter's secondary nickname, Mr. November? Big deal.)

We'd have real live regular-season races again as well. Never mind about the teams who may run away with it now and then. A wise man once said our Davids are not Davids without their Goliaths to slay. Baseball delivers abundant thrills and provokes abundant chills, and few of them are as thrilling and chilling as watching one of its Davids bring one of its Goliaths crashing to earth. Last year's Nats, powerhouse though they proved after May 23, were such a David slaying (and outsmarting) the Houston Goliath. No wonder Game Seven had more viewers than Florida has a population.

By the way, the same MLB postseason re-alignment just might have a shot at dissipating the tanking mentality among several teams, too. At least until baseball's government wises up and slaps the tankers with sanctions appropriate enough to send the same message my suggested postseason re-alignment should send: The common good of the game isn't the same thing as making or hoarding money for it.
--------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@AllThatJazzZ
@AmericanaPrime
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: A sensible way to un-saturate the MLB postseason
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 01:24:03 am »
I really hate the single-game playoffs for Wild Card.  If we were to keep the WC (aside from your great suggestion), I like it when it was just the highest average team that didn't win Division. 

I don't know why that bugs me.  I think it's my basic belief that season records should set things, like WS Homefield Advantage.   
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 01:34:35 am »
Get rid of divisions.   Teams with the best records in each League play in the World Series, just like it used to be.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 03:09:19 am »
Get rid of divisions.   Teams with the best records in each League play in the World Series, just like it used to be.
The only thing wrong with that idea is twofold: 1) Too many teams in each league now (though I wouldn't be adverse to restoring two-division leagues); and, 2) you'd have a far easier time selling my idea (and good luck even trying to sell mine!) than selling what was "just like it used to be."

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 06:50:03 pm »
(1)I'd like to see divisions aligned more geographically, although that may make some teams have to change leagues.

(2)After grumbling about the designated hitters for most of its existence, I think it is a good thing, and should be adopted by both leagues.

(3) I am not a fan of the new rule, where a pitcher has to face a minimum of 3 batters.

(4) If the playoff scenario you've mentioned doesn't come to pass, at least go back to 4 teams per league, and a best of 3/5/7 games format.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 09:14:27 pm »
(1)I'd like to see divisions aligned more geographically, although that may make some teams have to change leagues.

Maybe, maybe not. Let's look, especially at a return to two-division leagues . . .

National League
East
Atlanta Braves
Chicago Cubs
Miami Marlins
New York Mets
Philadelphia Phillies
Pittsburgh Pirates
Washington Nationals

West
Arizona Diamondbacks
Cincinnati Reds (well, they used to be in the NL West before the three-division alignment)
Colorado Rockies
Milwaukee Brewers
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants

American League
East
Baltimore Orioles
Boston Red Sox
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
New York Yankees
Toronto Blue Jays
Tampa Bay Rays

West
Chicago White Sox (well, they used to be in the AL West before the three-division era)
Houston Astros
Kansas City Royals
Los Angeles Angels
Oakland Athletics
Seattle Mariners
Texas Rangers

(2)After grumbling about the designated hitters for most of its existence, I think it is a good thing, and should be adopted by both leagues.
I grumbled about it for years until reality bit. See my essay, "The DH, the National League, and "traditionalism."

(3) I am not a fan of the new rule, where a pitcher has to face a minimum of 3 batters.
At first I thought it looked good---on paper. Then I looked deeper. It's disaster waiting to happen and none too soon.

(4) If the playoff scenario you've mentioned doesn't come to pass, at least go back to 4 teams per league, and a best of 3/5/7 games format.
Better yet, two-division leagues as noted above.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 09:50:14 pm »
@EasyAce

No Twins and Cardinals in your leagues.

My idea would be still having 6 divisions.

Try this one:

American League

Northeast
Boston
New York Yankees
New York Mets
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

North
Toronto
Detroit
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Minnesota

Atlantic
Baltimore
Washington
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
Miami

National League

Southwest
Texas
Houston
Colorado
Arizona
San Diego

Pacific
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Oakland
San Francisco
Seattle

Midwest
Cubs
White Sox
Kansas City
St Louis
Cincinnati

...or something like this.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:51:04 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 11:31:47 pm »
@EasyAce

No Twins and Cardinals in your leagues.

I should have put the Twins and the Cardinals in the Wests.

My idea would be still having 6 divisions.

Try this one:

American League

Northeast
Boston
New York Yankees
New York Mets
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

North
Toronto
Detroit
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Minnesota

Atlantic
Baltimore
Washington
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
Miami

National League

Southwest
Texas
Houston
Colorado
Arizona
San Diego

Pacific
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Oakland
San Francisco
Seattle

Midwest
Cubs
White Sox
Kansas City
St Louis
Cincinnati

...or something like this.
No. Keep the leagues as they are. But re-arrange them back to two divisions if there's to be any re-alignment. (And leave the regional division names to those hockey philistines!)

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 03:59:41 pm »
I like my idea for 2 reasons:

(1) Crosstown rivals, fighting for the same division, a real rivalry, other than inter league play.
(2) Less travel time required, better rested players, could lead to better play.
(3) Also, a possibly of less injuries, with more rest/less travel but I can't qualify that with any data, because it hasn't been tried before. It sounds reasonable.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 06:17:35 pm »
I like my idea for 2 reasons:

(1) Crosstown rivals, fighting for the same division, a real rivalry, other than inter league play.
Take another look at my re-alignments into two divisions. Several known and passionate rivalries intact. (And a few budding ones magnified; say, the Twins and the White Sox, the Astros and the Rangers. And don't forget: teams like the Cubs and the White Sox, or the Yankees and the Mets, don't need regular-season competition to sustain rivalries in their cities. Likewise, sort of, the Dodgers and the Angels, and the Giants and the A's.) And, just to reiterate, hell yes I'd ban regular season interleague play. Interleague play belongs properly in two places: the All-Star Game and the World Series.

(2) Less travel time required, better rested players, could lead to better play.
It might. Especially if you mandate day games the day before travel days. That might mean the end of Sunday Night Baseball, but oh well. The game's just as much fun to watch in broad daylight as at night.

(3) Also, a possibly of less injuries, with more rest/less travel but I can't qualify that with any data, because it hasn't been tried before. It sounds reasonable.
It sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure it would really be a factor. Injuries occur for reasons having nothing to do with more rest and less travel more often, seemingly, than they do have to do with less rest and a little more travel. It would be useful to see someone in the sports medicine field develop a bona fide study on that factor.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 06:20:27 pm by EasyAce »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 05:26:30 pm »
@EasyAce

One thing we can both agree on, is that neither one of us is happy with the current league configuration, and playoff set-up.