Author Topic: If emotional support animals are banned from planes, some people say they’ll stop flying  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Applewood

If emotional support animals are banned from planes, some people say they’ll stop flying

Ollie is a 35-pound, 4-year-old obedience school graduate who can roll over and shake on command. He is also a seasoned air traveler: The miniature goldendoodle has flown in a plane cabin dozens of times, always without incident, according to his owner, Tracey Halama.

But Ollie’s flying days may be numbered, because he is an emotional support animal for Halama’s teen daughter, who suffers from anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder. The Transportation Department last week proposed allowing airlines to treat support animals as pets rather than service animals, which have been trained to perform a task or function for a person with disabilities. For Halama, that would mean paying fare for Ollie and stowing him in a crate under a seat — which he’s too big for — or flying him as cargo, which she doesn’t trust airlines to do safely. In either case, Halama’s daughter would not be able to stroke the dog.

More at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/01/31/if-emotional-support-animals-are-banned-planes-some-people-say-theyll-stop-flying/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:33:24 pm by Applewood »

Offline goatprairie

"If emotional support animals are banned from planes, some people say they’ll stop flying"

GOOD!!!!! :yowsa:

Offline EdinVA

If your child weighs 35 lbs, then you are paying for a seat so why should the airline eat the airfare because of your pet?
The problem is not when all is good, the problems arise when things go south and there is an emergency.  Just because your dog can roll over does not make it responsive to emergency directions.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don't get it. Isn't that counter-productive to their cause? Sounds to me like they are promoting the ban.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

Halama’s teen daughter, who suffers from anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder
PTSD? From what, I wonder. Couldn't have been her combat experiences*.

I couldn't read the article because of the WashPoo's registration requirements.

*If mom's Facebook profile is any indication, maybe it's from all those vacation trips to Europe.  *****rollingeyes***** I also get the impression Ollie is a family pet, not a service dog.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 03:04:18 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Cool! Sounds like a solution to me.

If these people are so emotionally disturbed,why the HELL are they flying anyhow?

Online mountaineer

Cool! Sounds like a solution to me.

If these people are so emotionally disturbed,why the HELL are they flying anyhow?
If they've been diagnosed with mental illness, are they not being treated, or is this a new medical thing now, prescribing a Golden Doodle instead of psychotherapy? I love dogs, but c'mon!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If your child weighs 35 lbs, then you are paying for a seat so why should the airline eat the airfare because of your pet?
The problem is not when all is good, the problems arise when things go south and there is an emergency.  Just because your dog can roll over does not make it responsive to emergency directions.

@EdinVA

Dogs aren't so bad,but "emotional support cats or birds"? As a general rule,neither can be trained to obey.

How about this? How about if you get all stressed up from flying,you either don't fly,or you take the traditional approach and "valium up!"? Just because YOU have emotional problems doesn't mean you have to share them with everyone else.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@EdinVA  :yowsa:

Offline EdinVA

@EdinVA

Dogs aren't so bad,but "emotional support cats or birds"? As a general rule,neither can be trained to obey.

How about this? How about if you get all stressed up from flying,you either don't fly,or you take the traditional approach and "valium up!"? Just because YOU have emotional problems doesn't mean you have to share them with everyone else.

@sneakypete

I used to fly several times a week for business but stopped when group groping became required to get on a plane.  Have not flown since 9122001 and I won't any longer.  Drove from VA to Bakersfield CA, Minneapolis and Texas several times... takes longer but not treated like a criminal either.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@sneakypete

I used to fly several times a week for business but stopped when group groping became required to get on a plane.  Have not flown since 9122001 and I won't any longer.  Drove from VA to Bakersfield CA, Minneapolis and Texas several times... takes longer but not treated like a criminal either.

I haven't flown in many years because of the TSA groping, especially since I acquired my Titanium hips.  They can share my opinion now.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I haven't flown in many years because of the TSA groping, especially since I acquired my Titanium hips.  They can share my opinion now.

I haven’t flown since 06, and now that I have a fake hip I don’t think I want to fly either,
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

@sneakypete

I don't blame you.  The groping, wanding and fascination with the contents of my carryon are getting worse.  I thought when I reached a certain age, TSA would lighten up.  On the contrary, they seem to view all little old ladies as potential terrorists. 

I would take the train most places if we had any kind of decent service.  I've done that a few times on trips from Pittsburgh to Washington, DC to see my relatives.  But like every government program, Amtrak has turned into *bleep*.  But at least they don't frisk me or inspect my belongings -- yet.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don't blame you.  The groping, wanding and fascination with the contents of my carryon are getting worse.  I thought when I reached a certain age, TSA would lighten up.  On the contrary, they seem to view all little old ladies as potential terrorists. 

I would take the train most places if we had any kind of decent service.  I've done that a few times on trips from Pittsburgh to Washington, DC to see my relatives.  But like every government program, Amtrak has turned into *bleep*.  But at least they don't frisk me or inspect my belongings -- yet.

Remember when O'Bastard bragged on Amtrak not requiring the body-cavity searches? :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Well...there's always Amtrak.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline PeteS in CA

Did the WashPost article kind of blur the difference between an "emotional support" animal and a trained service animal?

To be blunt, people who bring their purse dogs into stores and restaurants as if their dog is a service dog P me off. People with service animals need them and their service animals have specialized training. Purse-Fifi's are not service dogs, and their owners are trivializing real service animals and their owners' needs.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Did the WashPost article kind of blur the difference between an "emotional support" animal and a trained service animal?

To be blunt, people who bring their purse dogs into stores and restaurants as if their dog is a service dog P me off. People with service animals need them and their service animals have specialized training. Purse-Fifi's are not service dogs, and their owners are trivializing real service animals and their owners' needs.

Absolutely.  The press blurs the lines, but the airlines do make the Support vs Service distinction in practice.  It's an easy-to-see line:  Does the animal have certification of training and compliance, or does it not?
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
They are going to stop flying?

Really?

If they don't need to fly now,why are they flying. Is it because they like spending the money,they like standing in line,or maybe,and most likely,they like being patted down by strangers?

Online mountaineer

If they don't need to fly now,why are they flying.
good point. Most flying is not a true necessity. The article starts off talking about some child who, as I noted, often flies to various luxury vacation spots all over the world but doesn't exactly need to travel for her job.

As I recall, John Madden didn't like to fly, so he took trains, buses, whatever else he could.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
good point. Most flying is not a true necessity. The article starts off talking about some child who, as I noted, often flies to various luxury vacation spots all over the world but doesn't exactly need to travel for her job.

As I recall, John Madden didn't like to fly, so he took trains, buses, whatever else he could.

You recall correctly.

Many years ago, I was on an Amtrak from Texas to Phoenix (my first arrival there).  People kept coming to this fellow in the dining car for autographs, I had no idea who it was.  I was never a fan of football on TV, so when I asked someone and they told me, "John Madden," I had no idea who he was. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

People want to get mad at the Department of Transportation and/or the airlines for this development, but traveling by plane is not a constitutional right.  More like a privilege.  Government agencies and the airlines have the right to set rules and regulations.  You do not have the right to flaunt those rules. or abuse that goodwill.

And that is what happened here.  Because people were bringing everything from ducks to ponies onto aircraft, creating an unpleasant experience for fellow passengers and the crew and potentially causing danger to others, particularly in an emergency, something had to be done.  If anyone wants to complain, they should complain to the ones who tried to pass off their hamster as an emotional support pet.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
mountaineer wrote:
"I couldn't read the article because of the WashPoo's registration requirements."

The Washington Post HAS NO "registration requirements".

I have no registration there, and although I generally refrain from opening WaCompost pages as a matter of principle, I was able to open the original URL and read it immediately.

WHY do you keep saying this? (yes, you)

If you see a msg saying you need to register, it's almost certainly because you have visited the wapo site before, and in doing so, they've placed a cookie on your hard drive with a "counter" on it. After a certain number of "visits", it will refuse to load the page and present you with the msg you're seeing.

There are two ways to override this.

First way:
Your browser's preferences should have a way to view and delete cookies placed by websites you've visited.
Go into the cookie list, and scroll down and DELETE the cookies from the wapo (or any other "news" site that gives you this b.s.).

Second way:
Usually the "registration" msgs you see are running in javascript.
You need to TURN OFF javascript, then reload the page.
Often this will stop pics and videos from loading, but you'll still get "the basic text" and can read the article.
This can also get rid of "crapware" videos that pop on screen and prevent you from "just reading the text".
Remember to turn javascript back on later!

This post brought to you by the self-proclaimed Macintosh pro of the forum -- the ol' Fishrrman his-self!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Transportation Department last week proposed allowing airlines to treat support animals as pets rather than service animals

ESA's have never been recognized as Service Animals, period. 

Under Title III of the federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and virtually all state laws, a service animal is an animal that has been trained to perform work or tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability. ... The ADA provides no protection for emotional support animals in public accommodations.
[/i]

I am sick to death of people abusing the service animal law. If this girl can't fly without animal support she better get it trained to perform a valid medical need, just being trained to be well behaved and do tricks don't mean spit. I f she needs help with her discomfort flying may I suggest Valium or some other medication for those times she needs to fly.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:25:01 pm by GtHawk »