Author Topic: Here are the lawmakers who defected on Iran legislation  (Read 319 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Here are the lawmakers who defected on Iran legislation
« on: January 30, 2020, 10:42:52 pm »

Here are the lawmakers who defected on Iran legislation
By Juliegrace Brufke - 01/30/20 05:33 PM EST

A handful of House lawmakers crossed party lines Thursday on legislation designed to rein in President Trump’s ability to take military action against Iran.

The two measures came to the floor less than a month after Trump authorized an airstrike in Iraq that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani, a move largely lauded by Republicans but criticized by Democrats who questioned the constitutionality of the action.

Four Republicans — Reps. Matt Gaetz (Fla.), Warren Davidson (Ohio), Thomas Massie (Ky.) and Trey Hollingsworth (Ind.) — crossed the aisle to support the bill authored by Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) that would block funding for military force in Iran without congressional approval.

The measure passed in a 228-175 vote, with GOP proponents of the measure arguing Congress needs to reclaim its constitutional powers.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/480772-here-are-the-lawmakers-who-defected-on-the-two-iran-bills
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ArneFufkin

Re: Here are the lawmakers who defected on Iran legislation
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 02:50:48 am »
I'm okay with the defections on the second vote (ending the 2002 AUMF).   I don't think it's a bad idea to rethink the American security priorities and interests in that region.  It's been 18 years, and the landscape has changed.  I'd like a replacement in place before terminating the 2002 mandate, however, so that a CinC is not hamstrung to take action when deemed critical to the protection of our personnel or vital interests.   

I don't trust the Pelosi House to do ANYTHING that this President requests, regardless of the critical national security or personnel safety interests at stake.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 05:37:29 am »
Maybe Republicans wouldn't defect if Trump didn't lie about imminent threat or brain injuries.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline dancer

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 11:12:57 am »
Iran is essential to the #DeepState's plans.  That ole thing, the Constitution, gives sole power to the CinC for rapid response.  Our President acted with speed and precision. NO troops were involved. 
NO dead American soldiers.  NO lost limbs.  Well done, Mr. President.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 11:29:42 am »
Another worthless effort by pelosi with the sole intent to get Trump.

Congress ALWAYS has had the sole authority to declare war, taking out a terrorist is not declaring war.

Won't pass the senate anyway...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 02:33:19 pm »
Maybe Republicans wouldn't defect if Trump didn't lie about imminent threat or brain injuries.
Has nothing to do with this legislation.

Speaking of head injuries, have you been to the doctor lately?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 03:57:04 pm »

Perhaps you should take some time off from TBR...completely classless remark, worthy of a chairborne ranger.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 03:59:26 pm »

I don't think this has anything to do with Trump. There's always been Constitutional friction between the Legislative and Executive Branches over the use of military force.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 05:59:35 pm »
Perhaps you should take some time off from TBR...completely classless remark, worthy of a chairborne ranger.

What part of the distortion in the lie about the imminent threat did you not understand?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 06:40:49 pm »

I am not the one who doesn't realize 3 comes after 2, not 6.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline dancer

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 11:27:12 pm »
I don't think this has anything to do with Trump. There's always been Constitutional friction between the Legislative and Executive Branches over the use of military force.

Why the double standard?