Author Topic: The Pentagon Claims China Doesn't Have the Means to Seize Taiwan  (Read 548 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Pentagon Claims China Doesn't Have the Means to Seize Taiwan (Yet)
by David Axe Follow @daxe on Twitter L

Key point: The DoD knows China's military has improved, but it believes it still is just short of being able to invade Taiwan from the sea. Even if this is accurate, it is still a question of when Taiwan will have that ability.

The Chinese military still lacks the ability decisively to conquer Taiwan by way of a full-scale amphibious invasion, according to the 2019 edition of the U.S. Defense Department’s annual report on Chinese military developments.

“An attempt to invade Taiwan would likely strain China’s armed forces and invite international intervention,” the report concludes.

Read more at: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/pentagon-claims-china-doesnt-have-means-seize-taiwan-yet-118096

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Re: The Pentagon Claims China Doesn't Have the Means to Seize Taiwan
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 05:15:12 pm »
I don't buy that.  If China does invade, it will not be amphibious.  They will pull a German type take over by parachuting in and seizing key facilities and installations.  Not sure how built up the Chinese are with their special forces, but I got to imagine they have larger numbers than we do.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 05:42:37 pm »
I don't buy that.  If China does invade, it will not be amphibious.  They will pull a German type take over by parachuting in and seizing key facilities and installations.  Not sure how built up the Chinese are with their special forces, but I got to imagine they have larger numbers than we do.

I don't think it is matter of if but when.  And it won't stop there.

Anyone who doesn't think the Chicoms are the biggest threat to our freedoms and way of life, are seriously misguided.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 06:42:53 pm »
---------------------------
A demurral.
From dynastic times to the present China has numbers and what of it?
When have they ever shown the world they have military skills.
The Persians heavily outnumbered the Greeks at Arbela until they faced
Alexander who crushed their Empire in a day.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 09:16:58 pm »
---------------------------
A demurral.
From dynastic times to the present China has numbers and what of it?
When have they ever shown the world they have military skills.
The Persians heavily outnumbered the Greeks at Arbela until they faced
Alexander who crushed their Empire in a day.
During a fascinating tour of China 20 years ago I took a 5 hour bus trip from the headwaters of the Yangtze River.

I recall thousands of men in military uniform digging trenches down the sides of the road to mitigate flooding.

Some army.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Absalom

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 10:20:41 pm »
During a fascinating tour of China 20 years ago I took a 5 hour bus trip from the headwaters of the Yangtze River.
I recall thousands of men in military uniform digging trenches down the sides of the road to mitigate flooding.
Some army.
--------------------
Not to belabor this, yet around 1900, it was asserted by many 'experts' that
Russia was soon to be the world power due to it vast manpower resources.
Then in the Russo-Japanese War of 1905, Togo destroyed the Czar's Far East
Fleet to its last warship, inflicting a kill ratio of 50 to 1 on the Russian Navy.
Later, in 1914 at Tannenberg, East Prussia, Von Hindenburg annihilated two
Russian Armies, effectively rendering Russia impotent for the balance of the Great War.
So much for size!!!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 11:19:05 pm »
catfish wrote:
"I don't think it is matter of if but when.  And it won't stop there."

I agree.
Sooner or later, someday, China is going to "make its move" on Taiwan.

And... the rest of the world (including the USA) will do... nothing.
It's not worth nuclear war to us or to anyone else to stand in the way of Chinese "re-unification". Just. Not. Worth. It.

(putting on my Machiavelli mask...)
This is why for some time in this forum I've proposed a "grand bargain" to be made to China:
You give us North Korea (they can do that)
We'll give you Taiwan in return (we can do that).

Doing so will save the world a whole lotta trouble down the road...

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 08:10:09 am »
I think China would prefer to resort to diplomatic measures, and in time, I see them reunifying. 

The real big threat is what does China do to Japan.  For the Chinese, the Japanese have not answered for their murderous endeavors in China during WWII.  The Chinese want their pound of flesh, and we are on the wrong side of that conflict.  They have not forgotten what the Japanese did.

When the USA collapses, and we will I believe at some point, the Chinese will extract their revenge.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 09:20:24 pm »
I think China would prefer to resort to diplomatic measures, and in time, I see them reunifying. 
The real big threat is what does China do to Japan.  For the Chinese, the Japanese have not answered for their murderous endeavors in China during WWII.  The Chinese want their pound of flesh, and we are on the wrong side of that conflict.  They have not forgotten what the Japanese did.
When the USA collapses, and we will I believe at some point, the Chinese will extract their revenge.
-------------------------------
An emphatic demurral.
Europe was blessed, as its catalyst/creator, was Ancient Greece and Rome.
Asia was never so blessed until Great Britain colonized the Indian Raj and
Commodore Perry sailed into Tokyo Bay; both events occurring mid-19th century.
This opened the eyes of both India and Japan to the reality that there was a
real world beyond their borders. But China has remained insular to this very day.
Japan looked west and saw a kindred island nation that was the most powerful
in the world. How so??? Because the Royal Navy let Britain go wherever/whenever
she chose. That was the inspiration behind the power of Japan who dominated both
China and Russia continuously from that period to current times.
The argument is made that population translates into power and it's fatuous malarkey.
* In 1900, Russia had almost 3x the population of Germany; yet was thrashed by the
latter in the Great War.
* In ancient times Persia had some 5x the manpower of Greece, yet Alexander destroyed
the Persian Empire in a day!!!!!
* China has a population of 1.4 billion yet was defeated by Japan w/a population of
125 million, repeatedly, over the last 100 years.
The catalyst for Power has always been Ideas, hardly numbers.
By that standard China, an insular nation that cheats, lies and steals, is an extremely 
long way from attaining world power.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:16:23 pm by Absalom »