Author Topic: Newly discovered photos of Nazi death camp may show guard Demjanjuk: historians  (Read 880 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Newly discovered photos of Nazi death camp may show guard Demjanjuk: historians

BERLIN (Reuters) - Historians in Germany have released previously unseen photos of the Nazi Sobibor death camp, including what they believe are images of John Demjanjuk, who was sentenced in 2011 for his role in the killing of about 28,000 people there.

Ukraine-born Demjanjuk, who had been No. 1 on the Simon Wiesenthal Center’s list of “Most Wanted Nazi War Criminals”, was deported to Germany from the United States in 2009, where he had spent much of his life as a car worker, to face trial.

The photos, described by historian Martin Cueppers as a representing a “quantum leap in the visual record on the Holocaust in occupied Poland”, had belonged to Johann Niemann, once deputy commandant of Sobibor.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-holocaust-memorial-germany-sobibor/newly-discovered-photos-of-nazi-death-camp-may-show-guard-demjanjuk-historians-idUSKBN1ZR20A

I saw about 3 photos in some articles, probably from the likes of periodicals like the Daily Mail. The Reuters story doesn't have them but if one is interested, one can look it up.

Demjanjuk is a convicted war criminal.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@TomSea is he still alive? I seem to recall he was very ill during trial.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

@Gefn

Apparently he passed away in 2012:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Demjanjuk

The reason this caught my eye a bit, is because there was a similar case

Michael Karkoc, different fellow. He also lived to be 100 and died last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Karkoc#Allegations_about_identity

The article does not say he was deported. I guess, maybe he wasn't.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Why are people getting their skirts blown up about this? Authorities have determined the man in the photos MIGHT be Demjanjuk"???? It MIGHT also be the Easter Bunny dressed up for Halloween.

PLUS,Demjanjuk has been dead since 2012. What are they going to do,dig him up and put his corpse on trial?

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Gefn  The article at the link says he died in 2012.

Offline EdinVA

Why are people getting their skirts blown up about this? Authorities have determined the man in the photos MIGHT be Demjanjuk"???? It MIGHT also be the Easter Bunny dressed up for Halloween.

PLUS,Demjanjuk has been dead since 2012. What are they going to do,dig him up and put his corpse on trial?
@sneakypete
 :amen:

Offline dfwgator

The whole point about Demjanjuk was just so that the Germans could say, "See,  we weren't the only bad guys!"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The whole point about Demjanjuk was just so that the Germans could say, "See,  we weren't the only bad guys!"

@dfwgator

I guess,but regardless of where he was from,I could see the point to arresting and prosecuting him while he was alive,but the SOB is dead now. Don't they have better things to do with their time and money than re-convict a dead man? I've heard of flogging a dead horse,but convicting a dead man is new to me.

Offline dfwgator

@dfwgator

I guess,but regardless of where he was from,I could see the point to arresting and prosecuting him while he was alive,but the SOB is dead now. Don't they have better things to do with their time and money than re-convict a dead man? I've heard of flogging a dead horse,but convicting a dead man is new to me.

He was a captured Red Army soldier who basically had the choice of being a Guard, or getting shot.

Offline musiclady

The monster lived in Cleveland for many years.

It makes me sick to think that these craven, vicious animals hid among decent folks for so long before being prosecuted.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The monster lived in Cleveland for many years.

It makes me sick to think that these craven, vicious animals hid among decent folks for so long before being prosecuted.
Not to take anything away from Nazis, or the Japanese, or the Russians, or Chinese, or the Turks, or..................The sad fact of life is that craven vicious animals live among decent folk all the time all over the world.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
He was a captured Red Army soldier who basically had the choice of being a Guard, or getting shot.

@dfwgator

Thanks,I didn't know that,but the truth is the German enlisted swine at the camps had the same choice he did. Nazi officers weren't real fond of underlings telling them "no".

Offline musiclady

Not to take anything away from Nazis, or the Japanese, or the Russians, or Chinese, or the Turks, or..................The sad fact of life is that craven vicious animals live among decent folk all the time all over the world.

No argument there.

But having butchers so close to home is still a bit unnerving.

I remember when I found out that Jeffrey Dahmer was in prison a few miles from me for a time.  Even though he was locked up, it still made me queasy.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
No argument there.

But having butchers so close to home is still a bit unnerving.

I remember when I found out that Jeffrey Dahmer was in prison a few miles from me for a time.  Even though he was locked up, it still made me queasy.
Hey at least he was locked up, I remember having to go to Chicago for two weeks and  leave my wife and two young children home when that paragon Richard Ramirez was plying his trade in 1985. Now that piec of work clearly reminded me of The Spooky Old Tree..............he gave me the shivers!

Offline skeeter

It's useful to certain political entities to keep the specter of naziism alive.

A) we are all disgusted by what the nazis stood for
B) they are all dead now

Offline dfwgator

@dfwgator

Thanks,I didn't know that,but the truth is the German enlisted swine at the camps had the same choice he did. Nazi officers weren't real fond of underlings telling them "no".

Germans volunteered for the SS, no German was forced to work at the camps.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It's useful to certain political entities to keep the specter of naziism alive.

B) they are all dead now

@skeeter

Sadly,that is not true. There are more than a few Nazi-wannabes playing dress up and causing trouble in the US. AFAIK,there are none in the area where I live,which is probably a good thing for both of us. I have a VERY low tolerance level for those asshats.

Then again,scum like that never live in rural areas. They need the big cities where they can disappear into the crowds. No place to hide in rural areas.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Germans volunteered for the SS, no German was forced to work at the camps.

@dfwgator

I don't think that is true. The guards were probably volunteers,but people like the cooks,administrative people,truck drivers,mechanics,etc,etc,etc probably had no say in where they were assigned. When you think about it for a minute,what use would the SS even have for people like that?

Offline skeeter

@skeeter

Sadly,that is not true. There are more than a few Nazi-wannabes playing dress up and causing trouble in the US. AFAIK,there are none in the area where I live,which is probably a good thing for both of us. I have a VERY low tolerance level for those asshats.

Then again,scum like that never live in rural areas. They need the big cities where they can disappear into the crowds. No place to hide in rural areas.

I don't count clowns playing dress up to outrage mom and dad. They're more a threat to themselves than anyone else. The Nazi party is dead.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 03:02:41 am by skeeter »