Author Topic: McConnell says GOP lacks votes to block impeachment witnesses, as Bolton book throws trial script in  (Read 3251 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell says GOP lacks votes to block impeachment witnesses, as Bolton book throws trial script into doubt

By Marisa Schultz | Fox News

The White House's plans for a speedy trial were thrown into doubt with Senate Republicans on Tuesday floating competing proposals on how to deal with new explosive revelations from ex-national security adviser John Bolton that have the potential to blow up the impeachment trial -- and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell telling Republicans he doesn’t have enough votes to block the calling of impeachment witnesses.

GOP senators were all over the map on Tuesday as President Trump's defense team called Bolton’s manuscript “inadmissible” and warned against opening the door to new wild-card information in the ongoing impeachment trial.

A source with knowledge of McConnell's comments confirmed to Fox Business that the Kentucky Republican told people in a private meeting Tuesday that they do not have the votes to block impeachment witnesses. The Wall Street Journal first reported the comments.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mcconnell-impeachment-witness-republican-votes-bolton-book
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 :shrug:

Republicans signal renewed confidence they'll avoid witness fight
By Jordain Carney - 01/28/20 05:23 PM EST

Senate Republicans emerged from a closed-door caucus meeting on Tuesday voicing renewed confidence that they will bypass a nasty witness fight in the impeachment trial.

“The consensus is that we’ve heard enough and it’s time to go to a final judgement,” Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) told reporters.

Asked if the trial proceedings should go past Friday, Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), another member of Senate GOP leadership, said that it “shouldn’t.”

“We’re kind of confident,” Thune added.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/480375-republicans-signal-renewed-confidence-theyll-skip-impeachment-witnesses
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Susan Collins: ‘Very Likely’ I Will Vote for Witnesses at Impeachment Trial

Pam Key 28 Jan 2020

Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) in comments given today to CBS News said it was “very likely” she would vote for witnesses at the impeachment trial.

Collins said, “But for the efforts that four of us made to ensure that vote would occur, that it’s unlikely that we would have had that opportunity. I am pleased that every senator will have the opportunity to vote on whether or not additional witnesses and documents are necessary. It is very likely that I’m going to conclude that yes, we do need to hear from witnesses.”

She added, “I, for one, believe that there’s some gaps, some ambiguities that need to be cleared up.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2020/01/28/susan-collins-very-likely-i-will-vote-for-witnesses-at-impeachment-trial/
Support the USO

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
That's really some bullsh*t on his part when you think about it. He's the damn majority leader and he wants us to believe he can't get his own people in line to prevent the Dems from getting in the Senate what they refused to do in the House?

See I'm not fine with witnesses. That was supposed to be done during the House phase. But they were in such a rush because you know..."this had to be done now!" according to the Dems. They are trying to get "evidence" in through the back door they couldn't through the front. This is a win at any costs move by the Dems and Mitch and the Republicans need to stop it now before it gets any farther. This has to be one of those "trigger points" that McConnell put into the ground rules to shut this whole thing down.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Any witnesses that need to be called now needs to be handled in a criminal court under a criminal subpoena issued from the Attorney General. Otherwise this plays right into what the Dems want...which is to dirty up Trump and keep tossing mud at him in order to defeat him in November.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline EdinVA

There's that good old Mitch, I wondered where he went..

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
How is this Mitch's fault when you have 4 weak knee'd RHINOS to contend with
Support the USO

Offline EdinVA

They have not even had questions yet and he already threw in the towel.I have always been disappointed with the republicans lack of real fight, have they learned nothing over the last 3 years?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

If Schumer was the majority leader and there were four “weak kneed” members of his party...it would take long for there NOT to be any wobbly members of his party in the Senate for a vote like this.

If Mitch can’t do the job of Majority Leader anymore he needs to step aside and let someone take over that can keep his party in line.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Lindsey Graham saying on Fox right now he thinks they will have the votes...
Support the USO

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
They have not even had questions yet and he already threw in the towel.I have always been disappointed with the republicans lack of real fight, have they learned nothing over the last 3 years?

^^^ This!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
If I were in the Senate, my question to my colleges would be:  "Is there any doubt as to what the final outcome of this is going to be ?  If not,  what's the point of dragging it out further?"
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

It’s McConnell’s job to corral votes. Threatening to support a primary challenger or to refuse to provide funding to some pet project or other seems to work to keep wayward rats in line. Mitch just shrugs, apparently. “Oh well...”

At least McConnell should demanding if one witness is called then ALL witnesses will be called.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:26:01 am by skeeter »

Online libertybele

IMHO -- The "Mitch" that we saw before the Senate hearings began is softening as I was afraid.  It still would take 20 GOP votes to remove him; but Bolton will do a lot of damage -- meanwhile you can bet that the Bidens will remain unscathed.  Heck -- the MSM didn't even cover Bondi's shredding of the Bidens.  The DEMS will find a way to avoid any testimony that involves the Bidens - count on it.  Mitch and others will cave.  No doubt about it.

Even though it's going to take 20 GOP defecting, I think we can count on Murkowski, Collins, Lee, and Mittens to vote to remove him...I think we'll see others. 

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

IMHO -- The "Mitch" that we saw before the Senate hearings began is softening as I was afraid.  It still would take 20 GOP votes to remove him; but Bolton will do a lot of damage -- meanwhile you can bet that the Bidens will remain unscathed.  Heck -- the MSM didn't even cover Bondi's shredding of the Bidens.  The DEMS will find a way to avoid any testimony that involves the Bidens - count on it.  Mitch and others will cave.  No doubt about it.

Even though it's going to take 20 GOP defecting, I think we can count on Murkowski, Collins, Lee, and Mittens to vote to remove him...I think we'll see others.

I get Maine, but what’s wrong with Utah and Alaska? Why can’t they rid themselves of their senate trash?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I am going to wait until this plays out before I start condemning Mitch...he has surprised me the last two years so maybe he has a few tricks up his sleeve... :0001:
Support the USO

Offline EdinVA

I am going to wait until this plays out before I start condemning Mitch...he has surprised me the last two years so maybe he has a few tricks up his sleeve... :0001:
ok

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I'm with you on that @mystery-ak.  A lot can change before the time to vote actually arrives.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Absalom

More witnesses mean indefinitely longer time, a big negative for R's.
Suggestion! Vote to impeach Trump now; getting rid of very badly
damaged goods and letting Pence assume the Office as a fresh start.
Let the msm/D's chase Trump across the globe forever but, at least,
this gives the R's a fighting chance w/a new face in Nov.

Offline skeeter

He may be playing grandpa up front but twisting arms behind the scenes. I hope so, anyways. That'd be kinda out of character, though.

Offline Axeslinger

That’s truly the stupidest thing I’ve read here in a very long while.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
He may be playing grandpa up front but twisting arms behind the scenes. I hope so, anyways. That'd be kinda out of character, though.

One option is to get repubs behind a witness trade that's unacceptable to Schumer. I'm not sure Biden is a good bargaining chip since half the dems want him gone anyway, but Schiff might be another story.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP confident of win on witnesses

Republican senators emerged from a caucus meeting Tuesday voicing confidence they will win a vote later this week that would block new witnesses from being called and end President Trump’s impeachment trial this week.

While Republican sources acknowledged several senators are wrestling with the question of whether to bring in former national security adviser John Bolton as a witness, they said Democrats do not have the four GOP votes they need to win such a vote.

While it does not appear that Republicans have the votes to reject such a motion yet, GOP senators on Tuesday said they thought the caucus would get there.

“We’ve been 100 percent united in this process to this point and it would be my hope that we can remain that way,” said Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.).

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/480413-gop-confident-of-win-on-witnesses
Support the USO

Offline bilo

IMHO -- The "Mitch" that we saw before the Senate hearings began is softening as I was afraid.  It still would take 20 GOP votes to remove him; but Bolton will do a lot of damage -- meanwhile you can bet that the Bidens will remain unscathed.  Heck -- the MSM didn't even cover Bondi's shredding of the Bidens.  The DEMS will find a way to avoid any testimony that involves the Bidens - count on it. Mitch and others will cave.  No doubt about it.

You are so right!

If the Pubs give in on this garbage all they are doing is increasing the chance they lose the Senate in Nov and don't regain the majority in the House.

We will see what the end result on witnesses will be shortly. It's really disappointing though that the Pubs don't know how to keep a united front.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

Stop smoking that stuff! It will rot your brain.

In 3 yrs Trump has gotten more done, with little help I might add, than we've seen since Reagan. He's been a God send! If the Pubs abandon him they can forget ever getting a majority, especially after the Rats restructure our govt and elections to their benefit.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home