Author Topic: Iran Quds Force head Qassem Soleimani killed in Baghdad strike — Iraqi TV  (Read 15866 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
But But.... Vlad and Trump are buddies....  :rolling:
Yeah, but Trump will be more flexible after his reelection... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah it was just the other day Trump was praising him.  And Trump warns Russia about terrorists.  Russia and Putin are terrorists.  They have been engaging in terrorist acts in Syria.
h
Russia has had its share of issues with Muslim terrorists, too. Beslan, Afghanistan, etc. Even the CHinese are dealing with them, and India has Pakistan.

While I don't necessarily believe that the enemy of my enemy is my friend, Russia's only gain in playing proxy war with the Iranians is to disrupt the West, primarily through disrupting oil shipments. Only that just doesn't have quite the traction it used to. Consider that geopolitical tensions in the Middle East might have jacked prices ten dollars a barrel or more in the past, the result of these actions has only resulted in modest increases of a couple of dollars a barrel in both WTI and Brent crude.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
As tensions spike with Iran, a look at how we got here
« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2020, 04:40:06 am »
Military Times By: Meghann Myers 1/3/2020

A spate of provocative incidents by Iran and U.S. responses came to a head Thursday night, when a U.S. unmanned aerial vehicle strike took out one of Iran’s top generals as he arrived at the Baghdad airport.

Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani’s assassination was the direct result of escalating attacks on U.S. personnel in Iraq in recent months, but the organization he represented has been needling the American military for years.

“How dangerous the interactions are is relative. This type of demonstrative action is something that was fairly common during the Cold War,” Anthony Cordesman, an Iran expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies told Navy Times in 2016, after a series of close calls between U.S. ships and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy in the Persian Gulf. “Whenever you want to assert yourself as a power you can do so fairly safely. The worst that happens is a limited combat action or a collision.”

More: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/01/03/as-tensions-spike-with-iran-a-look-at-how-we-got-here/

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
NO WARNING Downing Street livid with Donald Trump for endangering Brit troops by assassinating Iran general without warning

Tom Newton Dunn, Political Editor

3 Jan 2020, 22:00Updated: 3 Jan 2020, 22:12

DOWNING Street was last night livid with Donald Trump for endangering British troops by assassinating Iranian military chief Qasem Soleimani without any warning.

In a serious breach of protocol between key allies, the US president didn’t tell Boris Johnson about the Baghdad missile strike on the terror mastermind.

The attack sparked immediate overnight concern for the safety of 400 British troops stationed in Iraq and fears they could be targeted for revenge.

More: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10667726/downing-street-livid-donald-trump-assassinating-iran-general/

This article may be part sensational but I think it's part truth. If people are sticking out their necks to help us, we've got to be mindful of that as well.

Offline LegalAmerican

Offline TomSea

Biden Sided With Terror Leader Soleimani in Handing Control of Iraq to Iran

Adam Kredo - January 3, 2020 2:55 PM

Former vice president Joe Biden reportedly played a decisive role in enabling recently assassinated Iranian terror leader Qassem Soleimani to push the United States out of Iraq and deliver the country into the hands of Iran.

In 2010, as Iraq faced pivotal elections that decided the country's direction, Soleimani went to great lengths to ensure Iranian-backed politicians won control of the government, according to a comprehensive 2013 New Yorker profile of the terror leader by Dexter Filkins.

During that time, Filkins reported, then-vice president Biden called pro-America Iraqi politician Ayad Allawi to demand he stop trying to form a government. This crucial call paved the way for Soleimani to orchestrate an Iranian takeover of the Iraqi political system, according to interviews Filkins conducted with numerous sources.

https://freebeacon.com/national-security/biden-sided-with-terror-leader-soleimani-in-handing-control-of-iraq-to-iran/

This will take a lot of sorting out.
Planned attacks against U.S. targets in Syria, Lebanon were reason for Soleimani strike, say officials
Targets in Syria under threat included military outposts, officials said. In Lebanon, Soleimani was allegedly planning attacks on diplomatic targets.
Jan. 3, 2020, 3:05 PM CST
By Carol E. Lee, Courtney Kube and Abigail Williams

WASHINGTON — Planned attacks against American military, diplomatic and financial targets in Lebanon and Syria comprised the imminent threat cited by U.S. officials as the reason President Donald Trump ordered the killing of top Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani, multiple U.S. officials said Friday.

"When we start seeing extensive and very solid intelligence that [Soleimani] is plotting imminent attacks against the United States, the president as commander in chief has a duty to take decisive action," said a senior State Department official speaking on condition of anonymity. "If we had not taken this action, and hundreds of Americans were dead, you would be asking me why didn't you take out Soleimani when you have the chance."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/planned-attacks-against-u-s-targets-syria-lebanon-were-reason-n1110221

Above might have been posted earlier.

Sam Dagher
@samdagher
To understand #Iran’s and #QassemSoleimani’s role in shaping & executing #Assad regime’s war on Syrian people read chapter 20 of my book #AssadOrWwBurnTheCountry published by @littlebrown
. Earlier chapters like 7 reveal extent of Iran’s involvement in #Syria before 2011 uprising,

https://twitter.com/samdagher/status/1213115933805436929

It's suppose to be a good book and was at our bookstore.

Offline TomSea

World News
January 3, 2020 / 6:56 PM / Updated 6 hours ago
Inside the plot by Iran’s Soleimani to attack U.S. forces in Iraq
Reuters staff

(Reuters) - In mid-October, Iranian Major-General Qassem Soleimani met with his Iraqi Shi’ite militia allies at a villa on the banks of the Tigris River, looking across at the U.S. embassy complex in Baghdad.

The Revolutionary Guards commander instructed his top ally in Iraq, Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, and other powerful militia leaders to step up attacks on U.S. targets in the country using sophisticated new weapons provided by Iran, two militia commanders and two security sources briefed on the gathering told Reuters.

Soleimani’s efforts ended up provoking the U.S. attack on Friday that killed him and Muhandis, marking a major escalation of tensions between the United States and Iran. The two men died in air strikes on their convoy at a Baghdad airport as they headed to the capital, dealing a major blow to the Islamic Republic and the Iraqi paramilitary groups it supports.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-security-soleimani-insight-idUSKBN1Z301Z

Per these stories, I might not care if we went after the guy but if he was attacking us in the first place, well, that's pretty obvious what we'd need to do, ACT.

-------------------------------

NOTE:
We have had 2 of these threads... perhaps, in the near future, there will be an "IRAN III" thread or something, to stay on top of these stories and the 2 stickied threads will be unstickied and moved to the regular forum area.... we will see. These two threads have worked out very well.  We can try to keep the information "fresh" and moving.

Note, one more very good twitter account: https://twitter.com/HamdiRifaiJD
Hamdi Rifai, pretty much honest, direct analysis, no holds barred, straight blunt language, no mistake where he's coming from.  I may not agree with all he says, pretty abrasive really but seems to be a good guy.

Cantankerous, grouchy, crotchety, what more do you want for insight?  His second twitter account so?? Maybe previously booted?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 06:55:06 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

David French
@DavidAFrench
I'm seeing a lot of people calling the strike on Suleimani an "assassination." Some are even bringing up Reagan's EO 12333, prohibiting assassinations.

Killing an enemy commander, in a war zone, with a military strike conducted under the law of war is not an "assassination."
10:51 PM · Jan 2, 2020·Twitter Web App

https://twitter.com/DavidAFrench/status/1212959530797146118

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

I understand that #WW III is trending on Twitter
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Sitting here sipping my coffee...picturing President Trump tweeting:

"Iran's Supreme Leader better STFU and behave or I swear to God...not Allah...that the next one is going down the his effin chimney".

Actually, he kind of did say that, didn't he?    happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

Yep. Just a bit hyperbolic.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

So probably are Kardashian's boobs.  So goes the the stupid world of social media.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

So probably are Kardashian's boobs.  So goes the the stupid world of social media.
I just had to check Twitter:
Trends for you
Politics · Trending
Meat Loaf   5,125 Tweets

Politics · Trending
Congress  686K Tweets

NFL · Trending
Saints   46.1K Tweets

Trending in United States
MSNBC  101K Tweets
Apparently, the singer Meatloaf has gone vegan. Don't know whether he's now known as Tofuloaf. Or are they talking about Trump having meatloaf for dinner the night he sent Soleimani to his eternal reward?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I just had to check Twitter:Apparently, the singer Meatloaf has gone vegan. Don't know whether he's now known as Tofuloaf. Or are they talking about Trump having meatloaf for dinner the night he sent Soleimani to his eternal reward?

LOL....

Has he gone fake meat for health reasons, or joined the  left wing Vegan cult?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

Not kim's boobs but kylie jenner's hair.  Keep up!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
LOL....

Has he gone fake meat for health reasons, or joined the  left wing Vegan cult?

Probably health-related.  He used to be very, very heavy.  He's no lefty, either.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

REVEALED: Former al-Quds Leader Soleimani Planned and Financed Terrorist Attack on US Benghazi Consulate — Resulting in 4 Dead Americans
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/01/revealed-former-al-quds-leader-soleimani-planned-and-financed-terrorist-attack-on-us-benghazi-consulate-resulting-in-4-dead-americans/

Pence says Iran's Qasem Soleimani aided 9/11 hijackers. Experts say that's not true
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/01/04/mike-pence-says-iran-leader-qasem-soleimani-assisted-9-11-hijackers/2812917001/

Most of the hijackers passed through Iran in the prior 18 months before 911, the Iranian connection to 911 has never been very convincing to me.

Last story is probably the most eye-opening:
SENATE
Published 20 hours ago
Cruz pushes Senate resolution praising Soleimani mission, daring Dems to oppose

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, a noted Iran hawk, is circulating a resolution in the Senate that would commend the Trump administration for killing Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani, aides told Fox News on Friday.

An aide said the resolution is “structured and worded the same way as a 2011 resolution that commended the Obama administration for killing Bin Laden, which received unanimous support in the Senate.” Cruz is trying to get Democrats on the record supporting the mission.

It’s an apparent effort by Republicans to try to dare Democrats to oppose virtually the same resolution the Senate adopted to applaud then President Barack Obama in 2011 after the killing of Osama bin Laden.

More: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ted-cruz-senate-resolution-praising-soleimani-mission

So, an overloaded news cycle, I did finally peek in at TOS, not having visited there in a while, 2 or 3 months. Someone ran the first article above.  Way, way, way too much news on all of this as far as keeping up.

Heshmat Alavi
@HeshmatAlavi
#BREAKING
#Iran-backed Hashd al-Shaabi (PMF) militia members killed and wounded after airstrikes target HQs on Iraq-Syria border - via Al-Hadath.

https://twitter.com/HeshmatAlavi/status/1213557297869406208

Not just updates but analysis with Heshmat Alavi (has written for Forbes)   https://twitter.com/HeshmatAlavi

Drudge Report is doing well too.  Too much news to break down, leave it to the experts.

Offline TomSea

You know, if you look on twitter, look for "Gassem Soleimani", that is there too. I'm not sure if that is how some people pronounce it or if they are making a play on words actually but officially correct must be "Qasem":

I Saw Qasem Soleimani’s Brand of Evil Firsthand — It’s Worse Than You Could Possibly Imagine

January 3, 2020

Just how evil was Tehran’s former top terror chief, Qasem Soleimani? While reporting in Iraq in 2015, I came face to face with his brand of terrorism and it’s been seared in my mind ever since.

In 2015 I went to Iraq to report on the state of ISIS after one year had passed since they unleashed a murderous reign of violence against the Iraqi people.

I met the family in the above picture at an IDP camp outside of Erbil, Iraq. The father explained their desperate situation, homeless because of the latest ISIS reign of terror.

Read more at: https://www.faithwire.com/2020/01/03/i-saw-qasem-soleimanis-brand-of-evil-firsthand-its-worse-than-you-could-possibly-imagine/

Saw this posted elsewhere.

Offline TomSea

Joyce Karam said they will vote tomorrow on whether they will let US troops remain. I don't know if they have a choice really and I wonder, if we got Soleimani with Iraqi help. I think there is a good chance we did.

After Soleimani: Celebrations, cyber-attacks and threats to kick US troops out of Iraq
Hollie McKay
By Hollie McKay | Fox News

As Iraqis awoke Friday morning to the news that Qassem Soleimani, commander of Iran’s elite Quds Force and the mastermind of its ascending global military influence, had been killed by a targeted U.S. drone strike soon after touching down at the Baghdad International Airport, it didn’t take long for many of the embattled nation’s youth to start circulating photos and messages praising President Trump.

“Happy Friday to Uncle Trump,” one meme read.  “You are a great Commander,” cheered another.

Scores flooded Tahrir Square in Baghdad to dance in jubilation and express their gratitude for the killing.

More: https://www.foxnews.com/world/soleimani-death-aftermath

Good video with Brett Baier, the attack that was being planned per Brett was going to be a "big one".

Offline libertybele

Joyce Karam said they will vote tomorrow on whether they will let US troops remain. I don't know if they have a choice really and I wonder, if we got Soleimani with Iraqi help. I think there is a good chance we did.

Good video with Brett Baier, the attack that was being planned per Brett was going to be a "big one".

Thank you Mr. President.   :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

Trump: Soleimani was responsible for millions of deaths
Jan 3, 2020 @ 17:19

In his first comment on Qassem Soleimani’s death in a US air strike, President Donald Trump said he had killed or badly wounded thousands of Americans and was responsible for the deaths of millions, including protesters in Iran. “He should have been taken out many years ago.”

Read more at: https://www.debka.com/mivzak/trump-soleimani-was-responsible-for-millions-of-deaths/

Did he say millions? The exact quote? But anyway,  it sounds like Soleimani did kill a lot of people.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Did he say millions? The exact quote? But anyway,  it sounds like Soleimani did kill a lot of people.

The article doesn't quite him as saying millions so I doubt it.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline TomSea

Chris Hayes, MSNBC talking head...

Politics
MSNBC's Chris Hayes Wants Trump to Release Proof That Iran Was Planning Imminent Attack
By Melissa Lemieux On 1/3/20 at 11:22 PM EST

MSNBC host Chris Hayes criticized President Donald Trump's behavior and his choice to call for the airstrike that killed Iranian General Qassem Soleimani during a Friday afternoon broadcast of All in with Chris Hayes.

"President Trump, who has been stewing and vacationing at his personal club in Florida awaiting an impeachment trial for abusing his office by attempting to extort a foreign country to meddle in our next election, ordered from that private club in Florida a deadly military strike in Iraq yesterday, executing an act of war against Iran without congressional approval," Hayes began.

Hayes then broke the news that another airstrike had taken place north of Baghdad, intending to target Shiite militia leaders, killing six.

More at: https://www.newsweek.com/msnbcs-chris-hayes-wants-trump-release-proof-that-iran-was-planning-imminent-attack-1480380

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Chris Hayes, MSNBC talking head...

Chris Hayes strikes me as the punk who used to get beat up in school for smarting off to the wrong people.

Offline TomSea

BNO News
@BNONews
DEVELOPING: U.S. government website hacked and defaced by Iranian hackers

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1213641927842811904

Just a last check of the news, Jerusalem Post is informative too:
https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post