Author Topic: ‘Jesus candy’ on military base violates religious freedom, group claims  (Read 328 times)

Offline EdinVA

Selling Jesus-themed candies on an Air Force base is just one example of religious freedom in the U.S. being "under constant attack," according to a watchdog group.
Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF) founder and president Mikey Weinstein is furiously calling out the Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, Colo., for offering such products at its shop.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/jesus-candy-on-military-base-violates-religious-freedom-group-claims

But if the candy is banned, then isn't that eliminating freedom?

Don't we have bigger fish to fry?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I remember when a similar fringe group of  whack-a-doodles (Freedom From Religion Foundation) came after our Sheriff to remove “In God We Trust” from his agency’s patrol cars.

Walton County Sheriff Michael Adkinson has rejected a call from the Freedom From Religion Foundation to remove “In God We Trust” from his agency’s patrol cars.
With attitude.
“If the Freedom From Religion Foundation wishes us to take them off our vehicles I suggest that they get a judge’s order or a new Sheriff,” Adkinson said in a letter.

Sheriff Adkinson’s letter
Freedom From Religion Foundation letter
In a July 29 letter, foundation co-president Annie Laurie Gaylor “on behalf of Walton County residents and taxpayers,” urged Adkinson to “remove ‘In God We Trust’ from all Sheriff’s Office vehicles.
Gaylor said her organization, based in Wisconsin, had been contacted by a “concerned Walton County resident.”
“It is inappropriate for the Sheriff’s Office to display ’In God We Trust” on county property,” the letter said. “Statements about a god have no place on sheriff cars. Elected officials should not use their government position and government property to promote their religious views.”
Adkinson fired back Tuesday.
“I see absolutely no conflict in this matter,” he said in his return letter.
“You are obviously unaware that ‘In God We Trust’ is the state motto of the state of Florida, and has been since 1886,” Adkinson said. “Additionally it is the motto of the United States.”
Adkinson pointed out that no taxpayer funds were used to place the motto on agency patrol cars and indicated that he doesn’t need to be lectured regarding his rights under the U.S. Constitution.
“Suffice it to say that I am very aware of the parameters in which our office should operate,” his letter said. “We diligently strive to provide principled, fair and professional services.”
In closing, Adkinson states he is “unwilling to compromise on the issue” of the “In God We Trust” motto.

He closed with this.
“The disdain of a small minority should never, absent legitimate grievance, take precedence over the majority,”
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

Has anyone on Peterson Air Force Base objected? If not, then STFU, Mikey Weinstein.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

Has anyone on Peterson Air Force Base objected? If not, then STFU, Mikey Weinstein.
This is the same pestiferous jackass that sues to remove Bibles from VA Hospitals.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I bet the sucker would be just fine if these were sold there