Author Topic: US contractors sued for allegedly paying ‘protection money’ to the Taliban in Afghanistan  (Read 269 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
US contractors sued for allegedly paying ‘protection money’ to the Taliban in Afghanistan
Dec 27 2019

U.S. and international companies helped finance a “Taliban-led terrorist insurgency” in Afghanistan that killed or hurt American service members and civilians, according to a new lawsuit filed Friday.

The suit alleges that the contractors made protection payments to the Taliban because they had “lucrative businesses in post-9/11 Afghanistan, and they all paid the Taliban to refrain from attacking their business interests.”

The plaintiffs are the families of more than 100 people who were killed and wounded in Afghanistan from 2009 to 2017.

Read more at:   https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/27/lawsuit-contractors-paid-protection-money-used-in-terrorist-insurgency.html?fbclid=IwAR1CE44jMUPC7sdMT1YClGFOhbEVqHKZ4ckkr7SsuySARxnR27x_QaFyk1E

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Makes a guy wonder if any alleged payments were written off as "business expenses", should any such payments have been made...

(yes, I framed that carefully).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
This story really made me mad.  I wonder about all the aid we are giving to Afghanistan in the last spending bill too.  Who is that going to since Trump was maneuvering peace deal with Taliban. 

be different. .
Unfortunately, it looks like Trump is getting to repeat that cycle.

The latest 1.4 trillion omnibus spending bill includes all kinds of giveaways, from abortion funding to yet more benefits (paid family leave) for government workers, who already ride a gravy train most private sector employees can only dream of. Heck, the bill even manages to raise the legal age to buy cigarettes.

This bill is so bad that it only funds 70 miles of border fence, but gives four times as much money to Afghanistan for their security forces. This is the kind of insanity that permeates our policy making and spending. We can’t even pay our own debts, but we are shoveling more money into the bottomless pit that is Afghanistan. It’s mind-numbing.

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2019/12/19/trump-veto-1.4-trillion-omnibus-bill-wont
Here’s Rep. Chip Roy admonishing this monstrosity.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.