Author Topic: With homicide rate highest since 2008, DC expands violence interrupters program  (Read 376 times)

Offline EdinVA

“For us, we have no vests, we have no guns, we’re going in there because we believe that we can change each individual,” he said.

The organization has been training community members on how to resolve conflicts between gangs.

https://wjla.com/news/local/with-homicide-rate-highest-since-2008-dc-expands-violence-interrupters-program

Offline Applewood

I wish these folks success, but I have to be skeptical about employing conflict resolution tactics to solve gang violence.  Pittsburgh tried conflict resolution tactics on gangs there with no real success.  I don't know.  Maybe there are some methods specifically for gangs, but I don't see the standard practices used in such conflicts as marital problems or in a work setting as being effective with gangs.  in ordinary situations -- such as a husband unhappy that his wife gained weight and is no longer desirable, while the wife says he is inconsiderate for always leaving the toilet seat up -- you have some areas that lend themselves to resolution.  In gangs, it's all about c0ntrol of the turf, drugs, weapons, women and the cash flow  and much of that is ill defined.  I don't know that disputes between gangs lend themselves to standard conflict resolution tactics. 

But I hope I'm wrong and these guys can do something positive.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The Rats would do anything, cross any bridge, climb any mountain, to avoid punishing certain people who commit crimes.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I got your violence interrupters right here!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I got your violence interrupters right here!

In D.C.?
That, they'd prosecute (possession of a handgun, esp. w/an extended magazine).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
In D.C.?
That, they'd prosecute (possession of a handgun, esp. w/an extended magazine).
Doesn't change the fact that if law abiding citizens had access to them it would definitely interrupt violence.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Doesn't change the fact that if law abiding citizens had access to them it would definitely interrupt violence.
I agree wholeheartedly. The problem is one that D.C. has created by 'making people safe'.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis