Author Topic: Turkish Parliament to Draft Bill Allowing Troop Deployment to Libya  (Read 358 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
South Front 12/25/2019

The Turkish parliament is drafting a bill to allow a deployment of troops to Libya to assist the Government of National Accord (GNA).

Turkish Presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin confirmed the information.

“There might be a need for an authorization in line with the developments over there. The parliament is conducting work on this issue,” Kalin told a news conference in Ankara.

“We will continue to support the internationally recognized Libyan government. This support may be in terms of military training, or other areas, such as political support,” Kalin said.

Kalin added that Turkey would continue to provide the necessary support to Fayez al-Serraj’s Tripoli-based government. Turkey has already sent military supplies to the Serraj’s government despite a United Nations arms embargo, according to a report by U.N. experts.

Fighting on the ground in Libya is on-going with Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA) having besieged Tripoli and attempting to push from all sides.

More: https://southfront.org/turkish-parliament-to-draft-bill-allowing-troop-deployment-to-libya/

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Turkish Parliament to Draft Bill Allowing Troop Deployment to Libya
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 04:25:51 am »
At first, I thought the stories were saying they'd vote Jan. 11th on this, now, I've seen stories that sounds like Erdogan is sending troops very soon:
Erdogan To Send Turkish Troops To Libya Amid Warnings From Russia

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country will send troops to Libya at Tripoli’s request as soon as January, a move that could put them face-to-face with Kremlin-linked mercenaries allegedly fighting in the troubled North African nation.

An official in Tripoli on December 26 confirmed that a formal request had been made to Ankara for the Turkish military's air, ground, and sea support.

Libya's UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) in the capital, Tripoli, is struggling to maintain control against General Khalifa Haftar's eastern-based Libyan National Army, which is reportedly backed by Russia, China, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates (U.A.E), and Jordan.

Read more at: https://www.rferl.org/a/erdogan-turkish-troops-libya-russia-opposition/30346782.html

So, maybe a lot sooner, it sounded like the GNA needs them.

Libya Review
Libya Desk

These two twitter accounts above have been helpful in reviewing this conflict.

Libya Observer

Oded Berkowitz recommended by others.  I'm not sure if this one is very active presently...

That's all a lot of reading... but I understand, as said, that the first two account have good reporting.

A lot to this, I see reports of Greece getting involved to help the LNA (the opposition to the GNA which is sort of a coalition, for the record, the GNA offered the LNA a seat at the table, to be part of the ruling coalition.)

LNA may have a Gaddafi in their ranks, LNA has probably definitely committed war crimes... I really don't understand what this is about... keeping the Muslim Brotherhood (MB) from getting into power??  That is said but I don't know if that is actually going on or is just a scare tactic from the LNA.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:35:53 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Turkish Parliament to Draft Bill Allowing Troop Deployment to Libya
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 04:31:56 am »
LibyaReview
@LibyaReview
During a phone call with U.S. President Donald Trump earlier today,Egyptian President Abdulfatah Al-Sissi highlighted the role the LNA is playing in combatting terrorism & militias in Libya. Al-Sissi also highlighted the importance of stopping foreign countries from interfering.

LibyaReview
@LibyaReview
During a phone call with U.S. President Donald Trump earlier today,Egyptian President Abdulfatah Al-Sissi highlighted the role the LNA is playing in combatting terrorism & militias in Libya. Al-Sissi also highlighted the importance of stopping foreign countries from interfering.
11:51 AM · Dec 26, 2019

https://twitter.com/LibyaReview/status/1210256906683650048

So, really? Who knows....