Author Topic: Mexico News Roundup  (Read 338 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mexico News Roundup
« on: December 25, 2019, 12:54:17 pm »
Aurora, Illinois I think, for the record, is the picture below actual?:
Aurora father shot three times in ambush on road in Mexico

Jose Luis Gutierrez of Aurora is recovering in a hospital in Zacatecas, Mexico, after he was found shot on the side of the road Monday morning. Courtesy OF Zacatecas office of public safety

Elena Ferrarin

Updated 12/24/2019 8:30 PM

A trip to Mexico to see relatives for the holidays turned into a nightmare for a family from Aurora, whose father was shot three times in an ambush and now faces a long road to recovery.

Jose Luis Guiterrez, 52, suffered two gunshots to the knee and one to the hip during the attack Monday morning in the Mexican state of Zacatecas. He has undergone surgery and is being guarded at a hospital by local law enforcement, said his wife, Alejandra Gomez, who stayed behind in Aurora.

"They fear that they (whoever shot him) will want to finish the job," she said.

See more at: https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20191224/aurora-father-shot-three-times-in-ambush-on-road-in-mexico

Why would they feel the need to even guard him in the hospital? Did he do something bad?? Sounds like a routine highway robbery.

Highway robberies on the rise in Mexico as drug cartels target holiday travelers
Latest

Motorists urged to be on the lookout for illegal roadblocks; cargo trucks also being targeted

by: Julian Resendiz
Posted: Dec 16, 2019 / 08:37 PM CST   / Updated: Dec 16, 2019 / 08:37 PM CST   

EL PASO, Texas (Border Report) — When he travels to Mexico for the holidays, Lorenzo Escamilla practices the saying: “There’s safety in numbers.”

The Dallas resident on Monday was part of a vehicle caravan that drove into Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, with donations for the poor. “We’ve traveled together for four years to be safe. Not two weeks ago three guys I know got robbed near the highway to Monterrey. One car stopped in front of them, one got behind them, and six men got out and took their cell phones and $700 in cash,” said Escamilla, a painting contractor.

Highway robbery in Mexico tends to spike around the Christmas and Easter holidays, when tens of thousands of U.S. residents venture south to visit family members, often bearing gifts that make them more of a target, public safety analysts say. And with the drug cartels now targeting commercial trucks and their cargo as well, it’s important to exercise extreme caution on Mexican highways.

Read more at: https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/latest/highway-robberies-on-the-rise-in-mexico-as-drug-cartels-target-holiday-travelers/

Celebrating Mexico's Mennonites During the Christmas Season
The countryside around Ciudad Cuauhtemoc, in the northern Mexican state of Chihuahua, is home to the country’s largest Mennonite population.
by Rebecca Janzen

Mennonites in Mexico are promoting a bright new Christmas tradition – one born of somber origins.

The “Parade of Lights,” a nighttime procession of decorated vehicles and holiday party held this year on Dec. 7, was created by the Mennonite Museum in the northern Mexican state of Chihuahua to give local people – both Mennonite and Mexican alike – a safe, family-friendly way to celebrate Christmas amid growing violence.

Drug cartels often battle for control over Chihuahua, which lies along the U.S. border. In 2010, the deadliest year on record, the state had 6,421 murders. Crime then dropped for several years but is now rising sharply. Between 2014 and 2018, murders in Chihuahua increased 70%, from 1,758 in 2014 to nearly 3,000 in 2018.

Read more at: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/celebrating-mexicos-mennonites-during-christmas-season-103867

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Mexico News Roundup
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 08:28:57 pm »
Aurora, Illinois I think, for the record, is the picture below actual?:
Why would they feel the need to even guard him in the hospital? Did he do something bad?? Sounds like a routine highway robbery.

Travel advisories to Mexico are critical warnings of what is happening in Mexico.  Not a good Christmas Holiday destination.  I praised Trump for his action to designate Cartel terrorists, and then I condemned him for changing his position just as fast.  These terrorists are not merely in Mexico.  We still have an open border even if a few miles of fence have been built.  Our highest priority to protect this country from foreign enemy is that of the Cartel.  Yet he does nothing.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.