Author Topic: Susan Collins set to play pivotal role in impeachment drama  (Read 514 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Susan Collins set to play pivotal role in impeachment drama
« on: December 21, 2019, 10:54:27 pm »
Susan Collins set to play pivotal role in impeachment drama
By Alexander Bolton - 12/21/19 04:52 PM EST

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) is emerging as the most important vote in the Senate battle over President Trump’s impeachment trial, as Democrats regard her support as key to getting the additional witnesses and documents they need to build their case.

Collins, who has played a pivotal role in the biggest Senate debates of the Trump era, finds herself once again in the spotlight as one of the Republicans considered most likely to side with Democrats.

“She’s an important player,” said Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), who noted that while every Senate vote is important, key trial questions will be decided by a handful of lawmakers.

“Four Republicans can bring this back to a bipartisan position,” he said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/475579-susan-collins-set-to-play-pivotal-role-in-impeachment-drama
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Susan Collins set to play pivotal role in impeachment drama
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 11:18:05 pm »
Dick Durban is fighting to stay relevant.  He is an Illinois Cockaroach. Don't listen to his mumbling.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 12:16:27 am »
Collins' vote is only important if rats can shave 3 more GOP votes away from Trump.  I don't know why Durbin thinks Collins is special.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 12:18:15 am »
I don't know why Durbin thinks Collins is special.

Dick is daft. That is the only explanation.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 12:23:16 am »
Collins' vote is only important if rats can shave 3 more GOP votes away from Trump.  I don't know why Durbin thinks Collins is special.
Because she can be counted on to be among the very first to break ranks and vote with the Dems.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 12:27:25 am »
Collins is running for re-election.
She had better support Mr. Trump, or she's gonna probably comin' out on the losin' end.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 12:28:04 am »
Because she can be counted on to be among the very first to break ranks and vote with the Dems.
I would have picked Romney for that.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 12:42:59 am »
Collins is running for re-election.
She had better support Mr. Trump, or she's gonna probably comin' out on the losin' end.
Not necessarily so. She has been a consistent defector from GOP positions on close votes over the years and she's still in office.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 12:45:22 am »
Collins is an unreliable when policy is being made, but the Gorsuch drama showed she is generally reasonable where facts are concerned. I wouldn't worry.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 03:48:57 pm »
Romney, Collins and Murkowski provide cover for Manchin and Jones from Alabama.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 04:12:42 pm »
Romney, Collins and Murkowski provide cover for Manchin and Jones from Alabama.

No, they do not.  Manchin and/or Jones vote for impeachment and they will have hell to pay.  Manchin can forget the cushy, end of life move to the governor's mansion and Jones will be voted out of the Senate.  This is true regardless of what any of the three GOP stooges do.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 04:23:21 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 04:54:08 pm »
bkmk

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 04:57:23 pm »
I really hope that they use Cruz's talents to defend Trump. If they don't they are fools.  I'm hoping that 'they' don't let the hatred for the man get in their way.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 05:34:18 pm »
@Once-Ler

She would be one of the Republican votes they need to cross-over and vote to convict.  She is a strange one - most of the time votes with the Democrats and still wins in her state as a Republican.  I have often wondered why they keep electing her on the Republican ticket.  She is a nice person, doesn't say crude things to or about other Senators.

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 06:53:19 pm »
@Once-Ler
@Victoria33
She would be one of the Republican votes they need to cross-over and vote to convict.  She is a strange one - most of the time votes with the Democrats and still wins in her state as a Republican.  I have often wondered why they keep electing her on the Republican ticket.  She is a nice person, doesn't say crude things to or about other Senators.
Maine is a blueish purple state.  The Gov is a rat, and both state legislatures are run by rats.  They have 2 rat US Congressmen.  The other US Senator is an Independent who caucuses with the rats.

Most of the time Collins actually votes with the GOP but occasionally, in order to properly represent her constituents and be re-elected she defects to the other side.  The GOP Establishment puts up with this because they know that a conservative will be rejected by Maine voters 100 out of 100 times.  Maine's rat caucusing (ind) US Senator replaced Olympia Snowe, a squishy moderate Republican just like Collins.  The GOP can elect a moderate Republican in Maine, or a dem or DINO(ind).  I think the GOP base is happier when rats replace moderate Republicans. 

I agree Collins is a nice person.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 08:26:18 pm »
Maine is a blueish purple state.  The Gov is a rat, and both state legislatures are run by rats.  They have 2 rat US Congressmen.  The other US Senator is an Independent who caucuses with the rats.  Most of the time Collins actually votes with the GOP but occasionally, in order to properly represent her constituents and be re-elected she defects to the other side.  The GOP Establishment puts up with this because they know that a conservative will be rejected by Maine voters 100 out of 100 times.  Maine's rat caucusing (ind) US Senator replaced Olympia Snowe, a squishy moderate Republican just like Collins.  The GOP can elect a moderate Republican in Maine, or a dem or DINO(ind).  I think the GOP base is happier when rats replace moderate Republicans. 
I agree Collins is a nice person.
@Once-Ler

Once, Thanks for your explanation - it helps me understand Maine's political system.  I will copy what you said and put in my computer "POLITICS" folder.   888high58888