Author Topic: Carnival Cruise ships collide in Cozumel, Mexico; at least 1 injury  (Read 481 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Carnival Cruise ships collide in Cozumel, Mexico; at least 1 injury

The cruise line said a Carnival Glory guest suffered a minor injury when a group of guests was evacuated from the ship's dining room.

Dec. 20, 2019, 10:53 AM CST / Updated Dec. 20, 2019, 11:24 AM CST
By Gwen Aviles

Two Carnival Cruise ships collided near the port of Cozumel, Mexico, on Friday morning, causing damage to at least one of the ships and at least one reported injury, according to the company.

"Carnival Glory was maneuvering to dock when it made contact with Carnival Legend which was already alongside," a spokesperson for the company wrote in an emailed statement. "We are assessing the damage but there are no issues that impact the seaworthiness of either ship."

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

more
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/carnival-cruise-ships-collide-cozumel-mexico-least-1-injury-n1105821?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR2b4ZjzbZjfqe29Z5O52fsMmP7dDoR0Y7mQwMYcMI6_gVEjr6z1QDSGxxA
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline berdie

Re: Carnival Cruise ships collide in Cozumel, Mexico; at least 1 injury
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 08:22:05 pm »
Aside from not wanting to be trapped on a floating hotel....there are reasons I don't want to go on a cruise!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 11:29:12 pm »
Aside from not wanting to be trapped on a floating hotel....there are reasons I don't want to go on a cruise!

I took 5 cruises with Mom when she was alive -- the last one was in 1999.  We had a blast on all of them.  But it seems I hear frequently of problems with this cruise or that -- everything from outbreaks of the Norwalk virus, bad behavior by unruly guests, people falling overboard,, some lax security and some bad accidents. among other things.  I believe the quality has gone downhill as cruise lines cut corners.   Too bad.  I keep hearing the industry as a whole is chronically losing money and it sounds like the cruise lines have only themselves to blame. 

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:37:44 pm »
I have friends that cruise all the time and absolutely love it; they are Diamond members on Royal Caribbean.  We've been on 1 cruise and haven't had the desire to go back.  Yes, it is all inclusive, but we were unfortunate as our cruise was booked, a hurricane came through and we set sail a week later.  We couldn't get into some of the ports and spent more time at sea and aboard the ship.  Seas were still rough.  My hubby contracted some kind of stomach virus and it was so bad that they thought he had pancreatitis and almost had to air ambulance him to the nearest hospital.  We didn't enjoy the cruise.  Luckily it was only a 5 day 4 night cruise.  That was enough.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 11:37:57 pm »
Looks like high winds may have been a contributing factor.

I'm guessing the wind "took hold" of the ship on the left, slowly pushing the stern to our left, swinging the bow into the ship on the right.

These big cruise ships have some kind of "side propulsion", don't they?
The bridge probably tried to compensate for the wind, but what they had might have been "not quite enough" to counter the pressure of the wind against the port side of the ship...

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 11:39:49 pm »
I took 5 cruises with Mom when she was alive -- the last one was in 1999.  We had a blast on all of them.  But it seems I hear frequently of problems with this cruise or that -- everything from outbreaks of the Norwalk virus, bad behavior by unruly guests, people falling overboard,, some lax security and some bad accidents. among other things.  I believe the quality has gone downhill as cruise lines cut corners.   Too bad.  I keep hearing the industry as a whole is chronically losing money and it sounds like the cruise lines have only themselves to blame.

Well, I have heard that some retirees book end to end cruise dates and live most of the year aboard a cruise ship as it's cheaper than rent, groceries, utilities, lawn care, property taxes, etc.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 11:45:36 pm »
I have friends that cruise all the time and absolutely love it; they are Diamond members on Royal Caribbean.  We've been on 1 cruise and haven't had the desire to go back.  Yes, it is all inclusive, but we were unfortunate as our cruise was booked, a hurricane came through and we set sail a week later.  We couldn't get into some of the ports and spent more time at sea and aboard the ship.  Seas were still rough.  My hubby contracted some kind of stomach virus and it was so bad that they thought he had pancreatitis and almost had to air ambulance him to the nearest hospital.  We didn't enjoy the cruise.  Luckily it was only a 5 day 4 night cruise.  That was enough.

Unfortunately, it's not a good time to sail the Caribbean during hurricane season even if the price is right.  More expensive during winter, but there is little to no risk of a storm ruining your cruise.

Anyway, sorry your cruise wasn't much fun.

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 11:49:15 pm »
Unfortunately, it's not a good time to sail the Caribbean during hurricane season even if the price is right.  More expensive during winter, but there is little to no risk of a storm ruining your cruise.

Anyway, sorry your cruise wasn't much fun.

True.  We went with a group and well... that's when they decided to book it.