Author Topic: Ted Cruz is everywhere defending Trump against impeachment  (Read 1845 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Ted Cruz is everywhere defending Trump against impeachment
« on: December 20, 2019, 12:52:48 pm »
Houston Chronicle by  Jeremy Wallace Dec. 19, 2019

As Democrats in Congress steamed toward impeaching President Donald Trump, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz aggressively upped his profile as one of Trump’s most vocal defenders over the last two weeks, further allying himself with the man he bitterly campaigned against just over three years ago.

In less than two weeks, Cruz appeared in a dozen national television and radio interviews and delivered a blistering speech before the conservative-faithful at the Heritage Foundation, forcefully defending Trump’s conversation with the Ukrainians and dismissing the Democratic impeachment proceedings as unconstitutional.

“We’ve seen their case collapse,” Cruz said in his latest appearance on Fox Business on Wednesday just as Democrats started the impeachment debate in the House. “This is a political gesture of anger. Their base hates Donald Trump, and they’re voting to impeach him because they hate him. That really is telling the voters that Washington politicians think they know better than the people who cast their ballots.”

Cruz said he expects the Senate to start the impeachment trial in early January. He said past impeachments suggest it could take from two to six weeks to complete. Cruz said Senate rules won’t allow Senators to speak in open session with cameras rolling. He said instead, Senators are forced to sit and listen.

“You’re not going to see [U.S. Sen.] Elizabeth Warren and me going 15 rounds on C-SPAN because the Senate rules don’t allow it,” Cruz said.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Ted-Cruz-is-everywhere-defending-Trump-against-14917261.php

Offline Mesaclone

Re: Ted Cruz is everywhere defending Trump against impeachment
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 03:13:49 pm »
Ted is sitting himself up nicely for 2024...at this WAY too early point he's certainly earned my support. I'd venture that were anyone to waste money on 2024 GOP presidential poll, Cruz would be the leading candidate amongst Republicans. He's put conservatism and the party before his own personal animus with President Trump...that shows political maturity and self discipline that impresses the hell out of me. He's also shown a biting sense of humor that I didn't really see during the 2016 campaign...and that's a necessary component for any modern day Presidential candidate.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 03:21:26 pm »
Ted is sitting himself up nicely for 2024...at this WAY too early point he's certainly earned my support. I'd venture that were anyone to waste money on 2024 GOP presidential poll, Cruz would be the leading candidate amongst Republicans. He's put conservatism and the party before his own personal animus with President Trump...that shows political maturity and self discipline that impresses the hell out of me. He's also shown a biting sense of humor that I didn't really see during the 2016 campaign...and that's a necessary component for any modern day Presidential candidate.

:yowsa: :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 03:26:08 pm »

I have been a Cruz supporter for a very long time and have always felt (and still do) that he would make an excellent president.  He has been interviewed several times recently, not because of his opinion as a Senator but because of his knowledge of the Constitution.  He has argued more supreme court cases than any other sitting Congressman. 

At this point in time, with the leftists slinging their mud, their blatant abuse of power and violations of the Constitution, I continue to struggle with where Cruz would better serve this country; as POTUS or a SCOTUS justice.

Demographically, the way things are going (https://www.conservativereview.com/news/new-report-mass-migration-gives-dem-states-24-seats-electoral-votes-2020/) I don't see much chance of a GOP president.  I'm hoping if given the chance Trump will nominate Cruz to the Supreme Court.  Whether or not he would accept, I'm not quite sure.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 03:38:42 pm »

@Mesaclone

Close,but no cigar. 2024 is his fallback plan. He's  hoping something happens that causes Trump to back out or lose Party support so he can hit the campaign trail running in 2020.

Just because he is a weasel doesn't mean he isn't smart. Cruz is VERY smart.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline bilo

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 04:31:05 pm »

Me too!

I was a Cruz supporter and didn't vote for Trump in part because of how he lied about Cruz and his family. Cruz would be a great POTUS, or SCOTUS judge.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 04:41:38 pm »
Dirty tricks is part of campaigns and Cruz's campaign did a lot of them.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/02/ted-cruz-south-carolina-dirty-tricks

Just be consistent. One has no moral ground here.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 04:48:01 pm »
There can be more GOP presidents. Blacks supporting Trump may be around 32-35%. Does one think that Democrats really care about blacks? Charles Barkley even said Dems talk to them every four years, he said this in the past two weeks.

Just get more minority votes, I think it can be done versus the crappy identity politics of the DNC.

You just need a good percentage, not a majority.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 04:49:21 pm »
Me too!

I was a Cruz supporter and didn't vote for Trump in part because of how he lied about Cruz and his family. Cruz would be a great POTUS, or SCOTUS judge.

Over the past several years he has been interviewed for his knowledge on constitutional issues.  He has softened his look (love that beard) and he is letting out his great sense of humor more.

As far as being POTUS, just not sure that Ted would want to deal with all the crap from the leftists crazies; they hate Cruz as much as they hate Trump.  I think Cruz has more 'polish' than Trump, but Trump is able to sling mud right back at 'em and that's what is needed in this heated political climate.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 04:49:58 pm »

Cruz's campaign?  I though we were discussing candidate actions, not what some campaign staffer did (which was truthful).
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 04:51:33 pm »
Good Trump or bad Trump, he is getting the minorities like few other Republicans can, maybe none. This is why he is under such a severe attack.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 04:53:17 pm »
Cruz's campaign?  I though we were discussing candidate actions, not what some campaign staffer did (which was truthful).

:amen:  I wholeheartedly agree with you and I refrained from commenting as I felt it was better to ignore the irrelevant comment, otherwise it just seems to stoke his anger against the man.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 04:53:35 pm »

Tell yourself whatever you want. That excuse dossn't work because there's a slew of them.  It is almosr 2020 and not 2016. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 04:55:56 pm »
Tell yourself whatever you want. That excuse dossn't work because there's a slew of them.  It is almosr 2020 and not 2016.

??? Oh good grief.  You make no sense.  You're the one that brought up Cruz's 2016 campaign which has nothing at all to do with him defending Trump on impeachment!!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 04:56:39 pm »
:amen:  I wholeheartedly agree with you and I refrained from commenting as I felt it was better to ignore the irrelevant comment, otherwise it just seems to stoke his anger against the man.

So says someone who was supporting the constitution party here versus Trump in 2016. So, the conversation should be just and fair,  not this garbage about stoking anger.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 04:58:25 pm »
??? Oh good grief.  You make no sense.  You're the one that brought up Cruz's 2016 campaign which has nothing at all to do with him defending Trump on impeachment!!

Excuse me, bilo mentioned it above. So , this is a dishonest  or ill-informed remark. I brought up nothing that was not on this page already.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 04:59:23 pm by TomSea »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 05:01:34 pm »

Tell myself?  Here again are your exact words:

That was in response to (false) statements that Donald Trump directly made about Ted Cruz.  So no, you don't get to excuse Trump's actions by citing something some campaign worker said which (unlike Trump) was actually truthful.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 05:02:29 pm »
Excuse me, bilo mentioned it above. So , this is a dishonest  or ill-informed remark. I brought up nothing that was not on this page already.

I'm sorry, but the character assassination of Cruz began with you.  He is defending Trump against impeachment period.  Next.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 05:03:25 pm »

@Mesaclone

Thank you for your words.  And thank you especially for putting on a new pair of glasses and seeing Ted Cruz for who he truly is instead of simply perceiving him as a threat to Trump's candidacy.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 05:20:30 pm »
@Mesaclone

Thank you for your words.  And thank you especially for putting on a new pair of glasses and seeing Ted Cruz for who he truly is instead of simply perceiving him as a threat to Trump's candidacy.

Likewise, noone forgets your coming around here and saying things like "is there a conservative here" and stuff like that. Insulting all, including Cruz who endorsed Trump. You can't have it both ways.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 05:30:24 pm »
@Mesaclone

It was between Ted Cruz and Donald Trump for me, and you know which one got my vote. However, Cruz is undoubtably smart and conservative and so I’m glad he’s there in the senate and a strong ally of the president.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2019, 05:34:20 pm »
It was between Ted Cruz and Donald Trump for me, and you know which one got my vote. However, Cruz is undoubtably smart and conservative and so I’m glad he’s there in the senate and a strong ally of the president.

:amen:  He's is defending Trump against impeachment and I truly hope that ALL the GOP Senators rally their support for Trump.  If ever there was a time for the GOP Senators to come together is now.  Not one GOP Senator should be wishy-washy on this and hopefully some of them will leave their RINO suits in the closet.

Offline bilo

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2019, 05:45:57 pm »
Over the past several years he has been interviewed for his knowledge on constitutional issues.  He has softened his look (love that beard) and he is letting out his great sense of humor more.

As far as being POTUS, just not sure that Ted would want to deal with all the crap from the leftists crazies; they hate Cruz as much as they hate Trump. I think Cruz has more 'polish' than Trump, but Trump is able to sling mud right back at 'em and that's what is needed in this heated political climate.

Couldn't agree more!

I doubt we will ever find another POTUS who is so willing to fight back and is so effective at it as Trump.

Offline bilo

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2019, 05:52:18 pm »

I have no problem with the knee jerk defense of Trump.

I referenced why in part I did not vote for Trump the first time. It's truly impressive that Cruz would put away any animus he had towards Trump and support him and represent his State. Cruz's behavior speaks to his character.

Offline bilo

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2019, 05:55:38 pm »
:amen:  He's is defending Trump against impeachment and I truly hope that ALL the GOP Senators rally their support for Trump.  If ever there was a time for the GOP Senators to come together is now.  Not one GOP Senator should be wishy-washy on this and hopefully some of them will leave their RINO suits in the closet.

:amen: