Author Topic: A Detained Immigrant Is Suing ICE For Blocking His DACA Renewal  (Read 424 times)

rangerrebew

A Detained Immigrant Is Suing ICE For Blocking His DACA Renewal
« on: December 19, 2019, 04:45:00 pm »
 A Detained Immigrant Is Suing ICE For Blocking His DACA Renewal

By Ben Schamisso
December 16, 2019
A new lawsuit exclusively shared with Newsy alleges that ICE is preventing thousands of eligible detainees from seeking release to reapply for DACA.

"Once they told me they had a call from immigration, I was like 'whoa,' like a big, big change in my life, I couldn't believe it was immigration just for a simple possession of marijuana."

Jesus Lopez Alberto Gutierrez has been detained by ICE for almost seven months and is at risk of being deported, despite being technically eligible to renew his DACA status. That’s the Obama-era program that shields from deportation nearly 700,000 immigrants who came to the U.S. at a young age. In a new lawsuit exclusively shared with Newsy, Gutierrez alleges that ICE is "illegally" preventing him and "thousands of other DACA recipients" in detention to "seek release to reapply for the program." Gutierrez talked to his brother and Newsy from his detention center in Iowa.

https://www.newsy.com/stories/detained-immigrant-sues-ice-for-blocking-his-daca-renewal/