Author Topic: Meanwhile, Obamacare Was Just Basically Killed By the 5th Circuit  (Read 577 times)

Offline bilo

Then the big decision is made that the individual mandate is unconstitutional because without a penalty, it can no longer be considered a tax. You’ll recall that Chief Justice Roberts rescued Obamacare from the abyss by inventing to idea that the mandate was a tax, even as the Obama administration had pointedly proclaimed it wasn’t a tax for years. With the tax aspect out of the discussion, Congress has no constitutional power to force people to buy a product they don’t want.

Lastly, the court is sending this back down to the lower court to let them rule on whether the entire Affordable Care Act is now unconstitutional. There are arguments both ways, but I suspect they’ll take a piecemeal approach regardless of the legal aspects at play. The judiciary has a history of not overturning laws that could in turn do extensive harm to people. Like it or not, a lot of Americans use Obamacare to obtain health insurance now.

With this decision, and a possible more sweeping one coming, this could dropped in the laps of Congress in short order with an election nearing. No doubt, this is going to be a major issue. Despite the fact that they are the ones who screwed it up in the first place, Democrats will try to spin this as Trump’s problem. Ironically, not controlling the House right now could provide some cover on that front.

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2019/12/18/meanwhile-obamacare-basically-killed-5th-circuit-today/
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

Re: Meanwhile, Obamacare Was Just Basically Killed By the 5th Circuit
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 03:39:40 am »
Bit by bit we are breaking free of the shackles of the obama era.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 06:37:36 am »

It's a beautiful thing and a true legacy of the conservative judges appointed by President Trump and confirmed by Majority Leader McConnell and the GOP Senate. :patriot:

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 09:42:14 am »

Do the Republicans have a plan beyond tearing stuff down? Like it or not, plenty of Americans get their healthcare via Obamacare and it has grown in popularity.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/08/23/fox-news-poll-obamacare-gop-tax-cuts/1074570002/

I know the current GOP plan (and it is a winning strategy) is to scare the hell out of the American voter with crazy asses Lizzy and Bernie's Medicare for All proposals, but more may be required.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/07/healthcare-topped-the-economy-as-the-biggest-issue-for-voters-now-heres-why.html
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline bilo

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 05:52:41 pm »
It's a beautiful thing and a true legacy of the conservative judges appointed by President Trump and confirmed by Majority Leader McConnell and the GOP Senate. :patriot:

I can't believe it! We agree about something.

I know a lot of people don't really care about obamacare because it didn't directly affect them, but it was an incredible encroachment on our individual liberty. If the govt. can demand we buy a product/service that we don't want we are not truly sovereign. I know the arguments were made that if you drive a car you have to have insurance, but in that instance I still have a choice whether I want to buy a car or not. obamacare ended the individual's right to choose.

Offline bilo

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 05:54:01 pm »
Do the Republicans have a plan beyond tearing stuff down? Like it or not, plenty of Americans get their healthcare via Obamacare and it has grown in popularity.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/08/23/fox-news-poll-obamacare-gop-tax-cuts/1074570002/

I know the current GOP plan (and it is a winning strategy) is to scare the hell out of the American voter with crazy asses Lizzy and Bernie's Medicare for All proposals, but more may be required.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/07/healthcare-topped-the-economy-as-the-biggest-issue-for-voters-now-heres-why.html

Go ahead and embrace slavery. I prefer my liberty.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 06:30:06 pm »
I can't believe it! We agree about something.

I know a lot of people don't really care about obamacare because it didn't directly affect them, but it was an incredible encroachment on our individual liberty. If the govt. can demand we buy a product/service that we don't want we are not truly sovereign. I know the arguments were made that if you drive a car you have to have insurance, but in that instance I still have a choice whether I want to buy a car or not. obamacare ended the individual's right to choose.

@bilo
We agree.  I bet we'd agree on everything I could praise President Trump for, and there are other things he has done worth praising, but none will have as much impact on the future as the judges.     

Offline bilo

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 06:59:57 pm »
@bilo
We agree.  I bet we'd agree on everything I could praise President Trump for, and there are other things he has done worth praising, but none will have as much impact on the future as the judges.   

You are spot on. It's one of the reasons I will vote for him and contribute to his campaign this time.

The courts have been the mechanism for radical leftists to advance their agenda against the will of a majority of Americans for way too long. We should be happy that obama was so lazy and McConnell so clever in how he slowed down the appointment process before Trump was elected.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 07:10:07 pm »
You are spot on. It's one of the reasons I will vote for him and contribute to his campaign this time.

The courts have been the mechanism for radical leftists to advance their agenda against the will of a majority of Americans for way too long. We should be happy that obama was so lazy and McConnell so clever in how he slowed down the appointment process before Trump was elected.

I think McConnell is a political juggernaut, but you might want to give Harry Reid some credit for pulling the nuclear option first, since it is likely to comeback and bite us when the rats get control again.  But today I celebrate the demise of Obamacare.   0005

Offline bilo

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 10:49:32 pm »
I think McConnell is a political juggernaut, but you might want to give Harry Reid some credit for pulling the nuclear option first, since it is likely to comeback and bite us when the rats get control again.  But today I celebrate the demise of Obamacare.   0005

I think the difference will be the age of the judiciary. Trump has been able to nominate so many and McConnell has gotten so many appointed that the court will not have as many openings in the future. It's also why the Rats are talking about stacking the SCOTUS. When Ginsburg is gone Trump will nominate someone in their late 40's or early 50's so the younger jurists will mostly be originalists. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 11:14:58 pm »
I think the difference will be the age of the judiciary. Trump has been able to nominate so many and McConnell has gotten so many appointed that the court will not have as many openings in the future. It's also why the Rats are talking about stacking the SCOTUS. When Ginsburg is gone Trump will nominate someone in their late 40's or early 50's so the younger jurists will mostly be originalists.

Given his demonstrated willingness to nominate originalists you would think ALL of us here would be pulling for a second Trump term.

I can’t imagine why all of us are not. It is our last best hope.

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 12:08:16 am »
Given his demonstrated willingness to nominate originalists you would think ALL of us here would be pulling for a second Trump term.

I can’t imagine why all of us are not. It is our last best hope.

The census is not going to be our friend. Conservative states will lose seats in the House and Rat states with high numbers of illegals will gain House seats. Also, the electoral college electors will also shift in the Rats favor. Long term we have big problems, especially since the left is so radical and anti-american.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 06:03:59 am »
2nd generation Hispanics are staunchly conservative...Republican.  So, hope there.

And it is about time someone steps up and kills the nonsense the idiot Bush appointee made a reality with his nonsense.  Yes, I am talking about the faux conservative Roberts.  I would rather see him leave the court than the justice that no one gets to see any longer.   The movie Dave in real life, with her tucked away in a basement somewhere.

And the best play for Republicans is NOT to attempt to replace Obamacare until the electorate rise up and demand it.  And that is NOT happening.

Offline bilo

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 04:25:35 pm »
2nd generation Hispanics are staunchly conservative...Republican.  So, hope there.

And it is about time someone steps up and kills the nonsense the idiot Bush appointee made a reality with his nonsense.  Yes, I am talking about the faux conservative Roberts.  I would rather see him leave the court than the justice that no one gets to see any longer.   The movie Dave in real life, with her tucked away in a basement somewhere.

And the best play for Republicans is NOT to attempt to replace Obamacare until the electorate rise up and demand it.  And that is NOT happening.

I agree, he's failed us over and over again.

I think most people don't realize how big a deal it is that the citizenship question was taken off the census. The illegal population is aboyt 35-40 million people and they are concentrated in Rat states. They will be counted in the census and districts will be established based on population not citizenship. Illegals are very much a part of the Rat base and their children tend to be Rats. It is the children of legal immigrants that tend conservative.