Author Topic: If Trump signs omnibus bills, he’ll lose his last legislative leverage  (Read 564 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

If Trump signs omnibus bills, he’ll lose his last legislative leverage
Daniel Horowitz · December 17, 2019   

t’s become an annual ritual before Christmas. Both parties, despite the fake wrestling of soap opera politics, come together to increase spending and add special interest policy riders into a 2,000-page omnibus bill dropped hours before a vote is conducted, while nothing in the bill addresses the core challenges of our time that matter most to the citizenry. This occurs whether Republicans control one, two, or all three branches of the legislative process.

Yesterday afternoon, the bipartisan oligarchy dropped the omnibus bills to fund all of government for the remainder of fiscal year 2020. Unlike past years, lawmakers divided it into two pieces of legislation – a 540-page bill funding Defense, Homeland Security, and the Justice Department, and a separate 1,773-page bill funding the rest of government. They are also expected to add hundreds of pages of special-interest tax carve-outs for various industries, known as “tax extenders.” Rather than pushing for a continuing resolution to keep the status quo through the Christmas break so we can have a national debate over the broader priorities, Trump is being pressured to sign away the remaining leverage of his term. Now is the time for him to discover his veto pen.

In February, Trump mistakenly agreed to an omnibus bill rather than pushing another short-term CR, which would have set up a funding fight after the DHS announced a state of emergency at the border in March. During the initial government shutdown, the border crisis was still too subtle, so Democrats were able to deny the need for more immigration enforcement and a border wall. That would have changed had he just signed a short-term extension. The same principle applies now. No matter what happens in our country that proves the need for more ICE and wall funding, Trump will not have leverage with a funding deadline, because these bills will keep government funded for the remainder of the year.

Is Trump’s payback against the Democrats’ unprecedented vote of impeachment against him to sign their budget bills on the very same day?
Let’s review just a handful of major problems with these bills juxtaposed to Trump’s campaign promises:

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/trump-signs-omnibus-bills-hell-lose-last-legislative-leverage/
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

This Horowitz Report is damning.  I guess I was wrong./sarc

This doesn't feel like winning to me.  I coulda voted for Hitlery and got this.

Enjoy your deficits and debt Trump conservatives.  :patriot:

Offline Chosen Daughter

If you really want to know what's in the bill I would advise reading this.  It is a Christmas present to the Democrats.  And its another amnesty bill.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

And then there is Mitch McConnel trying to put lipstick on a pig.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Mitch+McConnel+on+omnibus+bill+todAY&&view=detail&mid=1CBEFBEA0F0882D4CA3F1CBEFBEA0F0882D4CA3F&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DMitch%2520McConnel%2520on%2520omnibus%2520bill%2520todAY%26qs%3Dn%26form%3DQBVR%26sp%3D-1%26pq%3Dmitch%2520mcconnel%2520on%2520omnibus%2520bill%2520today%26sc%3D0-36%26sk%3D%26cvid%3DE3E927E3813B48C49E8BBC705B9CF6A2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSfMihrPmMc  shorter link

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSfMihrPmMc

Incredible to see how weak McConnell and Trump are right now, and the complete abandonment of fiscal restraint.  There is ZERO difference between the parties on that issue.

Justin Amash @justinamash

Conservatives will someday face the horrible truth that the Republican Party fought so hard to justify and excuse an amoral and self-serving president, and what he gave them in return was bigger government and erosion of the principles and values they once claimed to cherish.

6:00 PM · Dec 17, 2019
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:09:18 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Chosen Daughter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSfMihrPmMc  shorter link

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSfMihrPmMc

Incredible to see how weak McConnell and Trump are right now, and the complete abandonment of fiscal restraint.  There is ZERO difference between the parties on that issue.

Conservatives will someday face the horrible truth that the Republican Party fought so hard to justify and excuse an amoral and self-serving president, and what he gave them in return was bigger government and erosion of the principles and values they once claimed to cherish.

6:00 PM · Dec 17, 2019

Thank you for posting this.  Its incredible that they can promote this piece of garbage bill.  Trump shouldn't sign it.  But he will, like he always does. 

Thank you for posting this. 

I'm honored to be sharing this forum, and this historic time, with such a well-spoken, insightful, thinker.  You are a rare light of wisdom in these dark times.  Wisdom culled from a higher power, I believe. 

In one week we will again celebrate the birth of our savior.  When I wish you a Merry Christmas, I have a good idea how much that means to you.  I have never denied my Lord, but I have never felt truly comfortable as a witness. It means a lot to me that you have been a consistent source of spiritual guidance.

so thank you and Merry Christmas @Chosen Daughter

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.

Adults are able to stay consistent, to stay true to core beliefs. This is what was taught to us by our parents and a lesson that we impart to our children.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 09:58:16 am by FeelNoPain »
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Adults are able to stay consistent, to stay true to core beliefs. This is what was taught to us by our parents and a lesson that what we impart to our children.

Nah. Let me get down with an elderly buffoon who talks about an old woman's teeth failing out. That will restore who we are.

Thanx for your reply and Merry Christmas @FeelNoPain I'm excited to have you join this forum and intrigued by the posts you have already made.

I want to offer you some advice.  Advice I'm actually not that good at following myself, in the hopes you can do it better.

Trump supporters are great people, with jobs, and families, and their own information network.  When you say anything directly critical of Trump, the doctrine or the group, it triggers thought stopping.  It makes those people defensive, persecuted, and even more embedded.

But if you respect your opponent, if you acknowledge their intelligence, and education by asking "help me understand how you came to your beliefs?" you have a better chance of reaching past the indoctrination and reaching the individual.

It's free advice worth every cent you paid for it, but please don't discount how happy I am to see your fresh face.

Offline FeelNoPain

Thanx for your reply and Merry Christmas @FeelNoPain I'm excited to have you join this forum and intrigued by the posts you have already made.

I want to offer you some advice.  Advice I'm actually not that good at following myself, in the hopes you can do it better.

Trump supporters are great people, with jobs, and families, and their own information network.  When you say anything directly critical of Trump, the doctrine or the group, it triggers thought stopping.  It makes those people defensive, persecuted, and even more embedded.

But if you respect your opponent, if you acknowledge their intelligence, and education by asking "help me understand how you came to your beliefs?" you have a better chance of reaching past the indoctrination and reaching the individual.

It's free advice worth every cent you paid for it, but please don't discount how happy I am to see your fresh face.

Sage advice. I should know better than to be so snarky. I will endeavor to do better.
Thanks for the kind words, the insight, and Merry Christmas!
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline Applewood

Of course, Trump will sign this spending spree bill. He has demonstrated again and again that he will sign anything.  I suppose his excuse this time will be that there is some funding for his precious wall.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I'm honored to be sharing this forum, and this historic time, with such a well-spoken, insightful, thinker.  You are a rare light of wisdom in these dark times.  Wisdom culled from a higher power, I believe. 

In one week we will again celebrate the birth of our savior.  When I wish you a Merry Christmas, I have a good idea how much that means to you.  I have never denied my Lord, but I have never felt truly comfortable as a witness. It means a lot to me that you have been a consistent source of spiritual guidance.

so thank you and Merry Christmas @Chosen Daughter

@Once-Ler what very kind words.  Thank you.  And I know that you are given a hard time here because of your political stance.  I believe that what you speak on here is truly what you believe the same as myself.  I am not out to get the president but I think that Christians have dealt a critical blow to our Christ Witness by not speaking the truth.  I think when the church finally realizes the damage that has been done they will have a deep regret and a sadness that will not be able to be consoled.

In this Christmas Season I was thinking about what the Jews expected from Jesus.  They were looking for a conquering King to save them from Roman rule.

https://evidenceforchristianity.org/why-did-the-jews-expect-a-conquering-rather-than-a-spirital-messiah/

As we head into 2020 people are still looking for a conquering Kings.  Someone to save them from liberal rule.  Not someone to serve this country with humility with righteous wisdom and justice.   Someone to fight the left.  They get what they want, but at the extreme cost of the Witness of Christ.

I came across this article tonight.  I think it is the truth.  So sad to see such Christian men of God seeking conquering Kings rather than the King of Kings.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/04/franklin-graham-and-the-high-cost-of-the-lost-evangelical-witness/#ob-player

I think you are an excellent witness.  Merry Christmas Once_ler.

I had to add this.  That many liberals are in need of salvation.  They need to see Christian values, not a knock down, drag out fight.  And the best way to fight the devil is by being in the Word and taking the Word and walking it out. That is the way to reach people.  All of which Jesus died on the Cross to Save.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 09:15:18 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

Of course, Trump will sign this spending spree bill. He has demonstrated again and again that he will sign anything.  I suppose his excuse this time will be that there is some funding for his precious wall.

Well and of course the Military and pay raises for Military personnel and Federal workers.  Who doesn't want that?  The rest of it could reek with stench as long as the President has something to talk about at his rallies.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Adults are able to stay consistent, to stay true to core beliefs. This is what was taught to us by our parents and a lesson that we impart to our children.

Amen.  The way my parents taught me.  Respect, humility, honesty.  We are witnessing an extremely corrosive erosion of principles.  Whether people contribute them to religious beliefs or good moral upbringing.  We are losing, and losing big.  My parents weren't religious.  They were Lutheran  but never went to church.  But they did have morals and I am thankful for that.

Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas!

Offline FeelNoPain

Amen.  The way my parents taught me.  Respect, humility, honesty.  We are witnessing an extremely corrosive erosion of principles.  Whether people contribute them to religious beliefs or good moral upbringing.  We are losing, and losing big.  My parents weren't religious.  They were Lutheran  but never went to church.  But they did have morals and I am thankful for that.

Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas!

Thank you & Merry Christmas!

Offline LMAO

Very few people in Washington care about debt and deficits simply because the public doesn’t. As long as the general public gets their cut, they don’t care.   

This is an opportunity for Trump the show he can use the VETO pen but we all know, based on his past history, will not.

He is the self proclaimed “King of debt” after all
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Merry Christmas Once_ler.

I had to add this.  That many liberals are in need of salvation.  They need to see Christian values, not a knock down, drag out fight.  And the best way to fight the devil is by being in the Word and taking the Word and walking it out. That is the way to reach people.  All of which Jesus died on the Cross to Save.

Great post.  Very Apropos of the season.

Leading by example has always been the best way to change hearts.  Unfortunate It's so much harder with human frailties.