Author Topic: Forbes: The Chinese Navy Is Building An Incredible Number Of Warships  (Read 295 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Chinese Navy Is Building An Incredible Number Of Warships
H I Sutton

While the U.S. Navy launches a handful of AEGIS destroyers each year, the single image below of a Shanghai shipyard shows nine newly constructed Chinese warships. China’s Navy, known as the PLAN (People’s Liberation Army Navy), is modernizing at an impressive rate. And on a vast scale. A key ingredient is the construction of a fleet of large destroyers, amphibious warships and aircraft carriers. The below photo, snapped from an airplane window on December 13, and shared on social media, captures the vast scale of this construction.

Image Analysis of photo of Chinese shipyard showing multiple warships at various stages of ...
  • construction, including an aircraft carrier. December 13, 2019.

H I Sutton, with permission from @Loongnaval

Nearest the camera, a line of four newly constructed destroyers catch the sunlight. Two are Type-052D air-defense destroyers, generally equivalent to the U.S. Navy’s Arleigh Burke Class AEGIS destroyers. These displace 7,500 tons and can carry 64 large missiles including long range surface to air missiles (SAMs) and cruise missiles. The other two are larger Type-055 Class ships. These are also described as air-defense destroyers but are verging on cruisers in terms of size and fit. These are about twice the displacement and carry over 100 large missiles.

Read more at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/hisutton/2019/12/15/china-is-building-an-incredible-number-of-warships/#10a002e169ac

I subscribed to Forbes for quite a while, I never saw articles like this or others I see on the web. It was a good magazine back in the day. I'm sure, they retain some of that. The webzine Forbes seems all over the place and maybe even comes out with some liberal takes on some issues.

Offline skeeter

Re: Forbes: The Chinese Navy Is Building An Incredible Number Of Warships
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 02:30:38 am »
Someone needs to tell the Chinese there’s more to effectively projecting naval air power than cranking flattops out like cheap dollar store trinkets .

Offline Absalom

Re: Forbes: The Chinese Navy Is Building An Incredible Number Of Warships
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 03:44:46 am »
Er.............does Sutton know how many are constructed from marble?????