Author Topic: Pentagon head says China has become top US military priority, moving past Russia  (Read 267 times)

rangerrebew

Pentagon head says China has become top US military priority, moving past Russia

US Defence Secretary Mark Esper says Beijing is ‘asserting illegitimate maritime claims’ and ‘threatening its neighbours' sovereignty’ in South China Sea

‘Beijing and Moscow are not only violating the sovereignty of smaller states, they are also attempting to undermine international laws,” he said.

Lee Jeong-ho 

Published: 6:17am, 14 Dec, 2019

Updated: 10:17pm, 14 Dec, 2019

Even as US and Chinese officials were reducing global economic tensions on Friday by confirming they had reached a “phase one” trade deal, the top US military official said that the Pentagon has put China on the top of its priorities – ahead of Russia – owing to Beijing’s “brazen efforts” to undermine the territorial claims of its neighbours.

Speaking at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York, US Defence Secretary Mark Esper condemned China for undermining international laws and violating the sovereignty of smaller states.

“Today, the international rules-based order that America and its allies have worked hard to establish is being tested … China first and Russia second are now the department's top priorities,” Esper said.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/military/article/3042083/pentagon-head-says-china-has-become-top-us-military-priority

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
This call should have been made years ago.  China is amassing a huge Navy, while Russia's one carrier just can't get fixed.  Russia's economy has been in the toilet since the USSR fell, whie China is now the most powerful economic force in the world.

There should be an increse of nerves in Japan, and especially Taiwan right now.  Anyone who thinks this buildup is for defensive reasons, is beyond a fool.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.