Author Topic: Couple paid $100 for abandoned car they found in a storage unit—Elon Musk bought it from them for  (Read 476 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
make it by Tom Huddleston Jr. 12/1/2019

Couple paid $100 for abandoned car they found in a storage unit—Elon Musk bought it from them for nearly $1 million

In 1989, a couple from Long Island, New York paid roughly $100 for an unclaimed storage unit. It was a blind auction, meaning neither they nor the seller had any idea what was inside.

When the couple opened the unit, they were in for what would likely be the surprise of their lives: Buried under some old blankets sat a 1976 Lotus Esprit sports car used in the filming of the 1977 James Bond film “The Spy Who Loved Me.” In the movie, the sports car famously transforms into a submarine and fires missiles while underwater.

Years later, none other than Elon Musk bought their find for nearly $1 million.

They’d never seen a Bond film

The sports car — one of eight used in the filming of the Roger Moore Bond movie, but the only one that operated in underwater scenes — had been put in the storage unit after filming and remained there, forgotten for more than a decade until the New York couple (who have remained anonymous) came along.

More: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/01/couple-paid-100-for-car-elon-musk-bought-it-from-them-for-6-figures.html

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online mountaineer

I realize there's a TV show about these, but I've never heard of a storage unit auction anywhere near me. My luck, I'd win 700 dirty Tupperware containers - no car.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Storage Wars. The oldest seasons are the best. You can find it on Amazon Prime.
@mountaineer

I forgot Barbara Bach was the girl in the movie, she’s been married to Ringo for forever by Hollywood standards.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:30:33 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I realize there's a TV show about these, but I've never heard of a storage unit auction anywhere near me. My luck, I'd win 700 dirty Tupperware containers - no car.
No lids, either...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

No lids, either...

There should be 700 lids, but none of sizes matching the containers.  Just like our kitchen...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

Actually that would be a jackpot... lifetime warranties on the broken ones... yeah, my wife would love to have some of those items... they just keep on giving year after year unlike the China junk today.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....